Reliquary of Souls

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby knaughty » Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 am

Enkal wrote:Well, mages complain that invisibility doesnt work in p2 due to taking periodic damage and I dont think our warrior have more than 1 set of gear(except for res gear of course), could be wrong but I've never seen her swap pieces out. She's also touchy so I dont dare to talk to her (neither does another of our tank) about enchants and gear. :roll:

Well I hope I can get my hands on my T6 head piece soon (wtb spot in 1 tank archi only raids) for more mana for ph3 whenever we're able to do it.

Err... yeah, mage thingy won't work. Bring MOAR WARLOCKS!

Tell the tank to pull her head out of her arse and pay attention. I know bugger all about warriors - tell her to read tankspot. +hit, +expertise and + block value (also OP for P1) are my understanding of "threat stats" for warriors.

Re Archi: I tanked him a fortnight ago, it isn't that hard. 3-4 Fear wards, a tremor totem and a PvP trinket are enough. I don't even have the 2 minute one yet, just 5 mins.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Enkal » Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 am

The tank in question is our Tank officer so my choices are rather limited. :(

I dont know enough about warrior tank builds to give any pointers, just saw that she had 5 points in improved crit (middle tree) and only 1pt in 1h spec. Looked weird to me.
Enkal

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Edit: actually looking at our WWS, we did 3M damage to RoSp2. Which, with 17 DPS, requires 1103 DPS per for 160 seconds, which we're more than capable of.

Maybe it's not that farfetched.

1st attempt: Tried Druid/Paladin tanking RoSp2; got to 18% at 160 seconds; was at sub-10% by the time the dying finished.

2nd attempt: Swapped in our Warrior MT for P2 and killed her. When interrupts are solid, this fight is easy.

So, our raid's not quite there yet. But it's nice to have the option.

Also, does anyone else stack avoidance and block value and basically tank P1? We use a rogue to tank the single enrage while I hold her the rest of the time. Seems much less chaotic than dancing rogues and hunters in and out.

Enkal wrote:I dont know enough about warrior tank builds to give any pointers, just saw that she had 5 points in improved crit (middle tree) and only 1pt in 1h spec. Looked weird to me.

That is very wierd. That warrior is throwing away 4% threat.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Warrender » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 am

fuzzygeek wrote:That is very wierd. That warrior is throwing away 4% threat.

Not really. Their one-handed spec talent only raises their damage done with their 1H weapons unlike our overall damage. Crits actually are a better way to increase threat done with the equipped weapon and it's always been a staple for Warrior tank builds.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue May 06, 2008 11:02 pm

Warrender wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:That is very wierd. That warrior is throwing away 4% threat.

Not really. Their one-handed spec talent only raises their damage done with their 1H weapons unlike our overall damage. Crits actually are a better way to increase threat done with the equipped weapon and it's always been a staple for Warrior tank builds.

I don't think that's correct; 1H spec is
Warrior Talent Tree wrote:One-Handed Weapon Specialization
Rank 0/5
Requires 25 points in Protection Talents
Increases physical damage you deal when a one-handed melee weapon is equipped by 2%.

I'm fairly sure it's identical to our 1h spec.

I was a warrior tank before I was a paladin tank, and I've always been partial to 8/5/48.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Enkal » Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 am

Finally the interupters managed to stay sharp during ph2 and we reached ph3 a couple of times last night. It seems I'm the choosen MT for ph3 now, no explanation or anything lol.

First time we got him to 45-50% and then I died because 2/3 MT healers were casting FoL.... :roll: I think the aura was ticking at 1.4k at that point, not sure what it normally ticks for near death for you ppl?

Didnt have any problems with aggro and had a healthy threat lead by then.
Enkal

Postby Mortehl » Wed May 07, 2008 6:10 am

Enkal, you need to talk things through with your healers in advance.

I wear a very specific gearset for that fight which includes 2 pieces of leftover tier 5 (shoulders and legs) that are gemmed/enchanted for +spell damage. I wear a caster neck and the icon of the silver crescent (Thank you Dorvan for that tip) with my other trinket being an hp trinket (commendation).

What it boils down to is that you need significant healing especially once you pass into the 50% point of the phase. The upside is that there is no need for a taunt/challenging shout/mocking blow rotation which is what warriors need to do since block value doesn't scale the way spell damage does during the phase.

Also, as long as you're prepared to use mid rank consecrates and holy shields, you'll be fine. I recommend you use your max rank seal of righteousness though. Open the fight with a destro/wing/JoR (no time for shield toss I've found) and before you know it, you have 40k threat on the rest of the raid. My mages and locks salivate for this phase because it is really the one time where they can go truly omfg balls out from the moment the mob appears. Nobody watches threat here since as long as everyone has salve, theyre not coming close to me.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Enkal » Wed May 07, 2008 6:20 am

Yea, I normally expect healers/DPS to read tactics posted on our forums first. :roll: The mana draining part only hit me for like 2k but I think it was because my rotation was a bit out of sync with the soul scream timer.

What happened was that 1 healer spammed HL but could only keep me at about 50% health and he wondered why I never topped out. I had 3 pallies but I got more heals from a chaining shaman than one of the pallies lol

I used T4 shoulder + hat for extra threat. Think I ran with 640 SD or so. 18-19k health as well as 27% dodge.

Well RoS will go down next week I'm sure! 8)
Enkal

Postby Worldie » Wed May 07, 2008 7:52 am

Just be warned, don't excessively nerf your mitigation for threat.

6-700 total spelldamage is fine. Screw pure avoidance, stack block rating, that is good for BOTH p1 and p3. In P3 you want to get hit, not to avoid, for both HS threat and simply mana return.

Don't be afraid to ask a Innervate. I usually can get all the innervates from druids in raid during this phase, it's not like anyone is going to go oom in 90 seconds of fight anyway.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Seloei » Sun May 18, 2008 4:54 pm

So ugh... confused... Is it even possible to remain uncrushable as a paladin during p1?
The gear (which i logged out in) is what i use on ros p1 and frankly, he just hits me non-stop even with it. It's highly +dodge/block rating but still not enough and was wondering... what am i doing wrong in that part :/

Oh err... we are still trying to get this going and having probs with "overzealous locks" in p2 but... what to do about p1 to make it even easier? Quite often it ends up with all 3 tanks being almost dead and the 2 rogues also after it's over, if one of them hasn't died already.

Things i've been tryign to get ahold of are the friggin rare za shield/shoulders/ring to get ~12% more uncrushable but with the BR libram and the gear i logged out in, i was still only at 40% of it last night.
Seloei

Postby Lakirby » Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I don't think it is possible to be uncrushable during p1. The gear I'm in on armory at the moment is what I'm wearing in p1 - and p3 if my RL sees the light and decides to let me tank p3. I simply went for mixing block value gear with some avoidance, and a healthy amount of stamina. I hit the Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker trinket at the start of my stint tanking p1, and I take much less damage than our other tanks do.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Dianora » Sun May 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Worldie wrote:Just be warned, don't excessively nerf your mitigation for threat.

6-700 total spelldamage is fine. Screw pure avoidance, stack block rating, that is good for BOTH p1 and p3. In P3 you want to get hit, not to avoid, for both HS threat and simply mana return.

Don't be afraid to ask a Innervate. I usually can get all the innervates from druids in raid during this phase, it's not like anyone is going to go oom in 90 seconds of fight anyway.

I can attest to that. I think I was 'round 667 spell damage while still uncrushable. Trinket icon of silver cresent and wing to start the fight, put up everything I have, and I ride well ahead of the dps. However, even after the first soul scream, I still got hit hard enough to trigger AD a couple of times into the fight.

We had our main tank wear block gear and tank most of EoS (except for enrage), I chip in in my EoA gear towards the end of that phase. The same warrior tank EoD, and I tank EoA.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Splug » Mon May 19, 2008 10:39 am

Seloei wrote:So ugh... confused... Is it even possible to remain uncrushable as a paladin during p1?
It's not likely: 500 defense works out to 60% pure avoidance from defense lost. You'll basically crash that down to 0% and be running off block rating, dodge rating, and parry rating. But if it makes you feel better, EoS takes 4-5 swings per shield block cooldown, so warriors are in the same boat. So even at ~60% chance to avoid, you're going to get about as many blocks as a warrior... and you'll get that off redoubt + holy shield alone, any non-defense avoidance will still help.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:45 am

In fact if you got Redoubt, it's so fucking awesome on RoS p1.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Stroja » Mon May 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Seloei wrote:So ugh... confused... Is it even possible to remain uncrushable as a paladin during p1?

I don't recall ever being crushed in P1 - I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Essence of Suffering can crush.
Stroja

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple