When can I start farming for my comendation?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

When can I start farming for my comendation?

Postby shifttusk » Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 am

So I couldn't find a post really discussing gear recomendation for heroic MrT if there is one could someone link but here is my question. I'm sitting at 13khp unbuffed 15k armor with devotion aura and 220 SD. I'm not uncrushable in the gear I run heroics in but I'm very much (510 def) uncritable. I've run heroic shalls mech bot and sp and OT'd quite a bit of kara.

But can I tank heroic MrT. The comendation is obviously a huge upgrade to me but running regular MrT the dmg output in the instance is super high and the arcane dmg of the second boss really makes me think my stam pool will be too low on heroic. Stam buffing myself (food elixir) would I be able to start farming this with a competent group with good CC?
Shifttusk - 70 Hunter Executus 0/20/41
Easylay - 70 Paladin Anetheron 0/49/12
shifttusk

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 am

Yes, you can.

Things may be rough on some pulls, but it's really about good crowd control and a skilled healer. (Doubly so if your healer is a paladin, as this place hates single-target healers.) A *lot* of the damage you take is magical damage; fire aura seemed like it helped (well, more than ret aura would, lol), though I didn't do any good tracking of how much was ever resisted. Kill order is important, I still don't think I have it down quite right. Since you're taking so much damage, having a large health buffer can be very handy.

I tanked it this past weekend with mage/mage/warlock/paladin/paladin. Having that much crowd control made it much easier. I still had some oh-crap moments, but it worked out. I even managed to bubble the pyroblast. ;) Don't forget that you can fear liberally on the last fight, as Kael'thas won't aggro until they're all dead.
Kelaan

Postby shifttusk » Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am

I think healer wise I'll be allright I generaly run heroics with my friends resto sham who outgears heroics fairly handily. My main worry as always is really just the raw dmg input. I do run regular with fire resist on with the exception of the mele pulls before the first boss where I run retrib. In normal if I had good dps I would generaly just stun the mage guard and let the dps burn that down and CC the succy's when we had one. Is this still viable or will be mageguard end up ripping up the dps?
shifttusk

Re: When can I start farming for my comendation?

Postby Lookit » Tue May 06, 2008 10:33 am

shifttusk wrote: I'm not uncrushable in the gear I run heroics in but I'm very much (510 def) uncritable.

Let me emphasize in case you weren't sure, but uncrushability *does not matter* in heroics. Why? None of the mobs in heroics can crush! For heroics, you want as much stamina, spell damage and block value as you can get. Avoidance is definitely great, since it's damage you're not taking, but you should never stack avoidance over stamina in your heroic gear set.

That said, I've noticed surprisingly little difference between normal and heroic Magisters'. I've run it easily 15 times on heroic, and recently a friend needed heroic attunement so we ran it on normal. Being used to heroic, I figured it would be a total cake walk, but it actually seemed as though I were taking just as much damage as I do on heroic. The mobs went down a little faster, but that was really the only difference.

The other differences of course are that the second boss spawns two adds at a time, and Kael's pyroblast. The second boss is made trivial by having ranged dps stand beneath the lampstands and handle the adds, and Kael's pyro can be bubbled through (see the threads on both these issues for more details).

MgT is definitely about execution - bring CC, don't let the Blood Knights get off heals, don't let the Magister's cast more than a few spells (they have a buff that increases their spellhaste every time they cast a spell, so if you let them be they will be shooting off 1 second frostbolts), etc.

If you want to seriously cheese the instance, bring a priest and a mage. Have the priest mind control the warlock in each pull, sheep one mob, and you've turned gnarly 5 pulls into solo pulls. It really is ridiculously easy with a priest using MC :)
Lookit

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 am

I imagine that depends entirely on your DPS people. ;) A rogue could help keep it stunlocked, and well-geared DPS can kill things significantly faster than poorly geared DPS.

By default, CC more than you think you need. You can always tone it down later, but having extra things running around gibbing people makes for un-fun times.
Kelaan

Re: When can I start farming for my comendation?

Postby shifttusk » Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Lookit wrote:
shifttusk wrote: I'm not uncrushable in the gear I run heroics in but I'm very much (510 def) uncritable.

Let me emphasize in case you weren't sure, but uncrushability *does not matter* in heroics. Why? None of the mobs in heroics can crush! For heroics, you want as much stamina, spell damage and block value as you can get. Avoidance is definitely great, since it's damage you're not taking, but you should never stack avoidance over stamina in your heroic gear set.

I should have been a bit more clear when I typed that, basicaly meant that I stack stam gear and what little bv (sv neck etc) extra BV gear I have.
shifttusk

Postby Seloei » Wed May 07, 2008 4:40 am

Once you can clear normal mag t safely and know that the other 4 you are going to the heroic one are decent, you can start.
You will need a lot of cc (whatever your gear is) to make it easy. It is possible to aoe tank them, but it will become very very messy at points.

The trash isnt the problem, it's the bosses. If you have low dps, second boss will make your healer go oom fast, if you have only clothies and get rogue+war, 3. boss will rip you to shreds.

The only real differance between heroic and normal was a health boost for trash and bosses and kael's fireblasts doing a lot more damage (also he now casts pyro similar to the old fight but without a shield).

Start trying, it can't hurt THAT bad if you know what you are doing, and so do the other 4 :)
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 5:09 am

Seloei wrote:Once you can clear normal mag t safely and know that the other 4 you are going to the heroic one are decent, you can start.
You will need a lot of cc (whatever your gear is) to make it easy. It is possible to aoe tank them, but it will become very very messy at points.

The trash isnt the problem, it's the bosses. If you have low dps, second boss will make your healer go oom fast, if you have only clothies and get rogue+war, 3. boss will rip you to shreds.

The only real differance between heroic and normal was a health boost for trash and bosses and kael's fireblasts doing a lot more damage (also he now casts pyro similar to the old fight but without a shield).

Start trying, it can't hurt THAT bad if you know what you are doing, and so do the other 4 :)
Vexallus is surprisingly easier with low dps as long as the Pure Energies are dieing immediately(at least till the overload. I consider it a wonderful throttling exercise)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby shifttusk » Thu May 08, 2008 9:41 am

Well thanks everyone here for the pep talk I ran this last night with 0 real issues only wipes came on the pvp boss (MS + Rogue = BS). I lol bubbled kaels pyro and had a blast. The second boss was a bit worrysome with my stam pool but a health pot and I was ok. The awesome part was my threat in there. With so many magic dmg sources the build I was toying with (the 0/50/11 with some reckoning) had reckoning up all the time.

Thanks guys!
shifttusk

Postby shifttusk » Tue May 13, 2008 10:25 am

thanks for the advice guys. 4 runs later my heal set looks alot better.... oh yar and I have 57 more stam :)
shifttusk

Postby MichaelBerea » Tue May 13, 2008 3:59 pm

I appreciate the encouragement as well.

I completed HMgT last night but it was so rough I considered not returning until I had some T5 pieces.

I think I'll go back tonight. 8)
MichaelBerea

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics