Fire Resist Gear for Al'ar add tank?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Fire Resist Gear for Al'ar add tank?

Postby Keriam » Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey guys, first post here and I would like to say that I love the site. Always been a reader and just recently registered.

For the Al'ar fight, how important is Fire Resistance gear for the add tank? I tried searching for an answer but only found this post:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=6930
Under the FR gear list, it doesn't state Al'ar. So I'm wondering, how necessary is it?
Keriam

Postby Aleriya » Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

If I'm tanking adds, I usually just go in with FR aura and the ring from Mag. Our other pally tank uses a bit more, but not much. Maybe 120 buffed. You'd probably be just fine with FR aura only.
Aleriya

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon May 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Never used more than motw >_>
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Dorvan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:14 am

the adds deal physical damage from their melee attack, the only FR is when they explode....I never used anything more than an FR aura on the fight

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 06, 2008 5:04 am

To be frank I only went in there with the 35~ FR from Mark of the Wild too. Never been an issue, unless maybe you're saving them for phase 2( I don't )
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Sat May 10, 2008 4:08 am

Last night for a blast i decided to use my full fire res set. Resisted 90% of the booms fully and more or less had problems with getting enough mana back to get more adds on p2.
Fire res is great, but stick to your normal tanking gear, or threat gear. They hit like wimps anyway
Seloei

Postby thejuice » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:15 pm

we save the adds for phase 2. the problem i was running into at first was that my passive tanking (holy shield,consecrate, ret aura) was killing the adds slowly, one by one, and i would die. it was solved by having the dps bring them down to only about 40%, and i would bring them down to about 20 and stop using holy shield and consecrate, and put up dev aura. the only problem is that my dedicated healer started to run oom.

when it came time to aoe, we tried to have the mages run in and frost nova them and i would run out to save myself, but either they are immune to nova, or OUR MAGES ARE RETARDED, and i ended up dying and the adds would break loose and kill everyone. this was my last alar attempt, and the guild has since disbanded.

i supposed since keeping threat on the adds for me wasnt really an issue, you could go with full FR gear for the kablooies at the end.
thejuice

Postby Alystira » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 am

I believe the few seconds before the adds explode they freeze in place and you can get away from them and not take as much damage. At least that seemed to be the case when we took A'lar down the other night.
Alystira

Postby Azulito » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:27 pm

i wear a metric shit ton of fire resist for this, and also a good bit of spell dmg... it makes it so easy on you and your healer... resisting the boom stops you from flying all over the place... and taking lots of dmg or being far from the next add... if you need mana, give yourself a shadowpriest, that's what i do :P
Azulito

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 am

Azulito wrote:i wear a metric shit ton of fire resist for this, and also a good bit of spell dmg... it makes it so easy on you and your healer... resisting the boom stops you from flying all over the place... and taking lots of dmg or being far from the next add... if you need mana, give yourself a shadowpriest, that's what i do :P

Ramp edges are op.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Crack in the doorway tbh :p

Use proper tanking gear and the explosions for mana, that way if 'shit hits the fan' you can at least tank like, 20 of them before falling over.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Azulito » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 pm

i have a sneaking feeling i am the only noob that tanks the adds by the flag during phase 2.
Azulito

Return to Tempest Keep