Advice on Instances

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Lookit » Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Talmus wrote:Last question - I didn't see a specific piece of info on Thotbott as to whether the bosses for the Hellfire zones can crush. When you said that only boss-level mobs can crush is it related to level, elite status, or some other criteria, and do you have a good list of bosses that can crush that you could point me to?

Thanks!

Boss-level refers to mobs that have a skull icon instead of a level, which means that no matter what your level is, all interactions with that mob are treated as them being 3 levels above you. This means that if you are level 70, they are level 73, and can crush.

To the best of my knowledge, there are *no* boss level mobs in any BC 5-man instance. The highest you will be facing in any heroic is level 72, which means you do not need to worry about crushing blows at all. This means that avoidance is nice, as it's damage you're not taking, but that high stamina is much more useful once you're uncrittable.

For Kara, I definitely have 2 gear sets that I switch between - one for trash, and one for bosses. The trash set is geared towards high stam and high threat, with high block value as well. For example, I swap out my Libram of Repentance (extra block rating is not that useful on trash, since I'm not trying to push crushes off the hit table) and instead use Libram of Divine Purpose, which adds 94 damage to my SoR & JoR, which is absolutely amazing for threat generation.

But as soon as we hit a boss, I go back to the Libram of Repentance so that I don't eat any crushing blows. For the *really* hard hitting bosses (which in Kara is Nightbane and Prince) I drop my DMC:V and use my Lucky Pocketwatch just so I can get that extra dodge if I get a little low on health.

Just to emphasize, for all the effort that we put into getting "uncrushable" it is only on raid-level boss fights that it is at all important. For tanking trash and heroics, you want Stam > Moderate Avoidance > Spell Dmg.
Lookit

Postby Tyaera » Mon May 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Any boss mob outside raids cannot crush either.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents