Off-Spec tanking Trash

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Off-Spec tanking Trash

Postby Legionp » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:06 am

Off spec here being anything besides a full prot spec, how viable would it be to tank Hyjal trash waves as a non-prot spec? You could go down far enough to get Imp RF and mostly just use consecrate for aggro. Threat and survivability wouldn't be as high, but people could single target Aboms first if it became an issue. Plus I roll with around 600 Spell damage fully raid buffed.

Have any holy pallies with good tanking sets out there tanked the trash waves? On bosses I either heal or slap on a bunch of haste gear and swing away with Nightfall, but do you think I could spec Ret or Holy and still tank the Trash?

We're hoping to down Archi for the first time tonight, and I usually prot heal / nightfall, but I'll probably respec completely either holy or ret. Would be funny if I could stay some sort of Hybrid spec for trash and contribute more on bosses.

Ret build I would consider

As holy I would just go a standard 41/20

I might try it next week and let y'all know, could be fun.
Legionp

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:55 pm

I've tanked trashs as both retri and holy when i wanted to try different playstyle on bosses.

You can go with 0 points in protection for what it matters. Improved RF and Thoughtness are big plus.

If you are holy, the int->spelldam will make up for the loss of Imp RF. If retri, Sanctity aura + Vengeance = lolaggro.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Worldie wrote:You can go with 0 points in protection for what it matters. Improved RF and Thoughtness are big plus.

Thinking during Hyjal trash is overrated imo ;)

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm

wops

meh it's late <.<
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Legionp » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:06 am

Cool, I'll give it a try one day without telling anyone and see if they notice. Tonight on Archi was pulling 1000-1200 dps without ever getting raid drops from this guild (haven't touched my ret gear prior to tonight since last summer). Kinda proves that I am semi-valuable on bosses since I was out DPSing some pure classes.
Legionp

Postby tofino » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Worldie wrote:You can go with 0 points in protection for what it matters. Improved RF and Thoughtness are big plus.

I think "wonder if my cotton candy is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK, wonder if my cotton candy is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK..."
Tofi, 70 BE Paladin, Whisperwind
tofino

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm

tofino wrote:
Dorvan wrote:

I think "wonder if my revolving dildo lollipop is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK, wonder if my revolving dildo lollipop is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK..."
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
tofino wrote:
Dorvan wrote:

I think "wonder if my revolving dildo lollipop is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK, wonder if my revolving dildo lollipop is going to drop off this wave. Nope. OK..."

lol, same for me.

Guess what happened though? There are two prot pallies in my guild that can be counted on. Me and the other. I already promised the other that if it dropped I wouldn't roll against him for it. It finally dropped and we were both happy and I passed as promised. Before the night ended a second one droppped. Yeah for both of us :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Legionp » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 am

lol, I promised to pass on the first one for our shadow priest. It dropped, I passed. Everyone on vent said grats to him. Boomkin pressed need and won the item.

Boomkin respecs Resto for several weeks.

Resto druid respecs Feral and has stayed there since.

My mace sits in someone's bank.

BAH!
Legionp

Postby koVenant! » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 am

little late but i recently tryed this as 41/20 because i was tired of prot, so i went holy/prot, got the defense/toughness/imp rf and inp devo and i was g2g. Tanked waves leading up to rage/anetheron np at all. The trash leading up to kaz RAPED me, 1 stun and i was dead. the 16% imp health makes a big enough difference. if you have good healers shouldn't be a problem, i personally rather have the main pally tank sporting 24k hp tank them all and just spam holy lights.

oh and btw, i have proven that you can tank the priest in fathom/murlocs/hyross spawns/ lurker submerge adds/ alars ember/ solarian collapse trash.
havn't tryed VW i doubt i need to, our main pally tank holds insane threat on him and basically never looses aggro, its a sight to see..
koVenant!

Postby Kay » Fri May 02, 2008 4:46 pm

I tried this, but honestly the Azgalor trash just took me to pieces. Respeccing prot suddenly made the waves a whole load easier. Perhaps it's down to us still learning, but at the moment I can see regular respecs being pretty much necessary for me.

This is a bit of a disappointment to me really as a holy pally, because I can't help feeling like a bit of a spare part when the boss rolls in :(
Kay

Postby Worldie » Fri May 02, 2008 5:44 pm

Until overgearing, 10% armor, 16% hp and expecially Ardent Defender play a major role in saving your plate armored ass during abomination waves.
That's it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Athelstan » Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Kay wrote:This is a bit of a disappointment to me really as a holy pally, because I can't help feeling like a bit of a spare part when the boss rolls in :(

I know exactly how you feel ... I am full prot spec and whenever it comes to a boss, whether im healing or dpsing, i feel like a total spare part. I was thinking about a hybrid spec but by the sounds of it, the later waves take you to pieces.

Not much to be done about it i guess :(
Athelstan

Return to Mt. Hyjal