What to tank first when you ding 70?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

What to tank first when you ding 70?

Postby Owneri » Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am

Well since the gear threads just ignoring my post...
So this is my armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... e&n=Owneri
Id like to know if Id be able to tank any heroic with that gear?
Also other tips are welcome :>
I am paladin.
Owneri

Re: What to tank first when you ding 70?

Postby ldeboer » Fri May 02, 2008 1:43 am

Owneri wrote:Well since the gear threads just ignoring my post...
So this is my armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... e&n=Owneri

NO :)

The answer is you can try and if you are a very good player and have very good CC you might make it but you may also make people very angry.

For safe heroics its 12K HP and +485 Def

read the sticky
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

Advice boots, neck, hands shields are okay dump the rest and replace with gear from the sticky.
ldeboer

Postby Marker » Fri May 02, 2008 1:55 am

I wouldn't go with you as Tank with those stats, unless I was had been spamming /4 for ages and not been able to get a tank AND the group was heavy on CC AND I was desperate to get the isntance done. Since you haven't even gotten the purchasable stuff (felsteel) I would think you were not willing to put the effort in and just wanting to leech badges from an overgeared group. Maybe harsh, but my 2c.

Previously people has mentioned 485 def (uncrit) and 12k HP as a basline for HC readiness, but that varies with group, skill and CC.

Basically, I'd say you've got quite a few normal runs to go till you're geared for HCs. But then again, no-one but tanks seems to be willing to run run normal instances since DPS and healers are too facinated by PvP purples, so I kinda see why you want to get to HCs as quick as possible.

There are so many improvements on your gear to be gotten from normal instances I don't see the value in listing it. Every lvl 70 instance out there has at least one improvement for you. Only the boots, neck, the def ring and the shoulders are on par for HC...

A good list to start out is here, starts at the blue normal instance drops and/or crafted.
http://zentanking.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

Tips:
Get the Felsteel set, great on stam and def.
Get revered with KoT, great legs, helm enchant and sword. Also BM quest reward adromuns tear is a nice avoidance ring.
If you're rich:
Belt of the guardian will stay with you a loooong time
Darkmoon card: Venegance - Threat + stamina boost.
Marker

Re: What to tank first when you ding 70?

Postby Barathorn » Fri May 02, 2008 4:49 am

Owneri wrote:Well since the gear threads just ignoring my post...

The reason the gear thread is ignoring your post is because you don't appear to have read any of the stickies my friend, despite being told to a couple of times already, which quite clearly show the answers to your gearing questions. You will find lots of people here willing to help, but please try to put a little effort in yourself by at least reading the sticky threads.

Can you tank a heroic with your current gear? Definately not unless you have superb CC and an awesome healer. You really need to replace most of your greens with blues while learning how to tank at level 70. you will be capable of MT ing Karazhan, but you have a long way to go. I personally wouldn't even consider you for a heroic group with your current equipment.

Your primary objective should be to get to revered with KoT, this gives you the continuem blade, timewardens leggings and the defensive head enchant. You should also once you have those, then do Mechanar and the Botanica, this will open up the Arcatraz quest which will provide you with a nice pair of bracers as well as offering a chance for Laj in botanica to drop the D3 paladin tanking shoulders.

Get out there and Tank, and hope for good drops!

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Cosmoz » Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 am

no, you cant. not even with the best healers and dps you can do it. a LOT of mobs in there will 2 hit you, some may even 1hit you with a critt, and they will critt often! that combined with extremely low hp/armor, its extremely hard. and the last part witch makes this IMPOSSIBLE, if you spelldamage. 54 spelldamage wont even keep agro from the healers, a lot less from the DPS.

this will be your cenario --->
you pull. if you are lucky you live 5 sec, IF you still lvie after 5 sec, all the mbs will be hitting your healers and DPS, and there is nothing you can do about it. another 10 sec later, everyone is dead, and you get kicked out of the group.
Cosmoz

Postby Brickhouse » Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 am

I will not pile on...

but, you could UN-EQUIP half your gear, and it wouldn't make 1 bit of difference in your tanking, literally.

That said, you should be able to tank normal instances with a competent group - but good luck =) most people that even would run normal instances are probably not the best players - unlike you get luck with skilled alts.

You have two MAJOR problems that need to be remedied:

1. Even if you didn't get two shotted - in many cases, you couldn't hold aggro with +54 spell damage. Get more spell damage.

2. Need more defense so you don't get two shotted. =) 438 or whatever is simply too low.

Oh, I just noticed, you appear to be in a guild - have your guild RUN you through instances. As bad as you are equipped, if you guys are any kind of guild, with any kind of players, you guys should be able to manage - I just hope you get drops sooner rather than later =)

The best bet remains - DO instances that give you reputation that you can quickly parlay into equipment, like Keepers of Time (those pants, helm enchant, and sword just plain own). With any luck, you will get a better cape along the way.

Ideally, you need 460 or so to do normal instances with undergeared healers. I always recommend go through all the quests in outland. There are many, many good quest items in shadowmoon valley and netherstorm - which may be green, but have what you need: defense, stamina, and spell damage.
Brickhouse

Postby guillex » Fri May 02, 2008 8:43 am

Read the stickies.

Helm is crap, grind engineering and get the goggles.

BP is crap, keep running mech for http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28262

Grind out Scryers rep, like quick, for the shoulder enchant.

Grind out KoT rep for the head enchant, the legs, and the continuum blade. Mogor's is a pos for paladin tanks.

+15 strength to gloves is NOT useful, at all.

Your two trinkets are not conducive to tanking at all, either. Run Shattered Halls for the Figurine of the Colossus, and do the quest in Netherstorm that gives you Dabiri's Enigma.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby turion350 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:45 am

I would grind Steam Vaults for the rep, and the chance to get the DevilShark Cape and the Breast Plate of the righteous. Unless you have a really good team, I would ignore the chestpiece from mech since it drops off a fairly difficult drop, and even on heroic with a crappy drop rate.

The righteous chestpiece will do you just fine, with the strength of the untamed rep reward from cenarion. With doing steam vaults you are really grinding 3 things at once, making your play time more effective. 7 more runs till you're revered with cenarion. Defiantly grind the engineering for the goggles, but in the mean time, get the felsteel head and gloves.

Do old hillsbrad 3 more times and you will hit revered and be able to get the legs, the sword and the glyph for the head enchant. Decent shield drops in shadow labs, the shield of the valerous or something like that. Also, for shoulders until you get the righeous from laj in botanica, stuff that is.."of the champion is good, its green, but will hold you over till then. Hope that spew of info helps.
Teurion of Kael'thas
Lvl 80 Human
turion350

Postby guillex » Fri May 02, 2008 10:44 am

turion350 wrote:I would grind Steam Vaults for the rep, and the chance to get the DevilShark Cape and the Breast Plate of the righteous. Unless you have a really good team, I would ignore the chestpiece from mech since it drops off a fairly difficult drop, and even on heroic with a crappy drop rate.

Good call.

Trypp had both of those drop his first time through. Maybe he'll get lucky. :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Vagrant » Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 am

Captain Galvanger / Balinda Stonehearth. True story. :cry:
Vagrant

Postby Exodius » Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 am

I can't see what your gear was like when originally posted, but it sounds like you have come a long way.

The Felsteel hat and gloves, purchasable from the AH and made by blacksmiths, would still be a help I believe. I used the Felsteel helm myself for a very, very long time.

You could also change your libram for the block rating heroic badge one. Seeing as you are running Kara you should be getting close to having enough badges to get one.

You could also fine tune your gem choices to blue quality gems and enchant your gear to further improve yourself.

Despite what others were saying in this thread, I do believe the gear as I read it is enough to tank heroics. Certainly no half hour speed runs, but if you keep food buffs, flasks/elixirs, wizard oil all going, and use CC as best as you can, you should be fine. Fully buffed you should be 13k+, which is plenty.

I know I was clearing heroic with similiar stats. 12k unbuffed is certainly not the starting point for starting heroics. Before the stamina buff that would have been a truly silly way to start anyway - you would have needed to be in full T4 to get that sort of number. The mobs have hardly gotten harder anyway. :roll:

At the end of the day though, all you can do is try. We all have to start at some point, and it's pretty stupid to start trying heroics when you are overgearing them. Takes the fun out of it all anyway. :P
Exodius

Now you starting to look like a tank

Postby ldeboer » Mon May 05, 2008 5:42 am

Hadnt looked at your toon for a week now you look like a tank.

However you are still doing what I used to do till they all taught me better :)

Going for socket bonuses you dont need them use +12 stam everywhere as long as you are above +490 def to be uncrittable until you have 12.5K HP. In heroics there are no crushing blows to worry about. You are obviously tanking in Kara and to curator more HP makes it easier as long as you have +490 def.

Looking at it now

+10 stam (100HP) leather work kit on hands not strength
+16 stam (160HP) extra geming pants all +12 stam
+6 stam (60HP) wrist gem as +12 stam
+12 stam (120HP) wrist chant fortitude
+8 stam (80HP) shoulder regem +12 stam

Total 520HP unbuffed extra

You have some chants up your sleeve
+15def back
+15def chest if u need else exceptional stats
+40 spell damage chant to cont blade

However it looks like you may be pvping for S1 mace or so I am guessing you dont waste chant.
ldeboer

Re: Now you starting to look like a tank

Postby Barathorn » Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 am

ldeboer wrote:Hadnt looked at your toon for a week now you look like a tank.

Agreed, good going Owneri. Get out there and tank.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics