Remove Advertisements

Felsteel better than Justicar Handguards?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Felsteel better than Justicar Handguards?

Postby Lanicus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Yes - another gear question from the ignorant tankadin. I got the token from curator tonight and I'm wondering if I shouldn't use it for a ret set instead. According to the sticky, felsteel actually offers a bit more in the way of avoidance/mitigation (1.69 vs, 1.56). It does add some int, but we know that int really isn't a primary stat. I'm not quite uncrushable according to the macro I have - (about 99%). Soooo...stick with felsteel and use the token for offspec or grab the tank T4? I'm thinkin to go with the ret T4 gloves instead for an offspec gear set, but I've been very wrong before...
Lanicus

Postby Kurseval » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Pretty sure T4 are superior... BV increase is great. 20 something SD is nothing to laugh at either.
Kurseval

Postby Delakar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm

I would take the T4 over the felsteel. If you are concerned about the drop of avoidance, enchant the gloves with agility to help with that until you can spare the slot to put on a 20 SD enchant.
Delakar

Postby roosevelt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:11 pm

justicar handgards
944 armor
34 stam
24 int
23 defense
27 spell damage
35 block value

felsteel gloves
943 armor
27 stam
25 defens
2 sockets

what it boils down to is this:

1 armor (lol) 7 stam 27 spell damage 24 int 35 block value vs 2 sockets and 2 defense rating.

If you socketed fel steel for stam it may seem like a situational upgrade or a sidegrade for effective health but I would say its well worth the switch. There are plenty of other options for ret gear but not many spell damage gloves. That combined with the 2 piece set bonus and the fact that gloves are one of the slots you can enchant for 2% threat or spell damage make them a must have for your threat set.

T4 might not be as good for tanking slow hitting bosses where threat isnt an issue, but they are great for heroics and area tanking.
roosevelt

Postby Seloei » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Don't use the token at all yet.
t4 gloves are pretty "meh" and the felsteel are a lot better for you since you are still not uncrushable and they give you 15 more stamina. Once you can be uncrushable without them, then consider it. If you know the dps is getting close to you on threat, get the gloves. took the gloves myself and switched back to felsteel in less than a week. They look nice, they are a "tier 4 piece" but...
Keep the token as long as you can, don't use it yet and wait and see what else happens.
Seloei

Postby Cearn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:40 am

on the other hand: you won't be using the token on anything else as long as you're prot. the heal t4 gloves suck for prot and even for rets there are better gloves. I got both as well, felsteel and t4, haven't used the felsteel for a long time...
it boils down to what you need, heroics profit from higher spelldamage normally, bosses from avoidance, lala, wheeee~
Cearn

Postby ulushnar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 am

Use it. For the longest time the T4 shoulders and gloves were my only pieces and the 2pc bonus is great when you need more single-target threat.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby mazater » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:05 am

I'm using T4 as AoE gloves and Maiden's as avoidance gloves (Still waiting for silvermoon gauntlets)
mazater

Postby Lanicus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:32 am

well - thanks for the advice guys - looks like the overwhelming majority thinks I need to go ahead and grab those handguards. I can Throw agil on them for now to get a little extra dodge.
Lanicus

Postby Rashakal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am

Lanicus wrote:well - thanks for the advice guys - looks like the overwhelming majority thinks I need to go ahead and grab those handguards. I can Throw agil on them for now to get a little extra dodge.

Just some extra advice. I finally saw your prot gear. Replace some of your pieces with:

Strength of the Untamed
Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves - If you still can do the quest.
Commendation of Kael'thas
Figurine of the Colossus

And enchant your chest with +Defense. You would hit Uncrushable and be able to use the best Tank Trinket and Justicar Handguards.
Rashakal

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice