Remove Advertisements

Trouble with the bear boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 am

I have .01% beyond uncrushable so with my 350~ BV is it worth adding a second stam trinket in place of pocket watch? Just for Nalaroak.
Frickit

Postby Baelor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 am

Frickit wrote:I have .01% beyond uncrushable so with my 350~ BV is it worth adding a second stam trinket in place of pocket watch? Just for Nalaroak.

I'd think the pocket watch's use and the guarentee that you'll at the very least block every attack would outweigh 100-200 more HP.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby kensanity » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Because its very well possible that I have no business tanking anything in ZA, i'm linking my armory here:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... rmidantwon

(Keep in mind that I do have avoidance trinkets like Danwstone Crab in my bags)

Now, I'm really looking to get some experience tanking outside of kara. I've tanked everything in kara with no issue, but guilds don't think I'm ready to tank any mobs in gruuls, or in mag.

I know ZA is not next step for me in terms of progression, but I have a dedicated nine who are willing to let me attempt tanking bosses in that instance.

My goal is to tank one of the bear's forms, down him, and get the 1st timer off the chest. That is my only goal. if groups down eagle or whatever else, thats great, but I just want my chance at jungle stompers and the shoulders.

Now, I've healed that fight on my priest but never tanked it... the more I think about tanking it, the more anxious i get as well.

My two primary concerns tanking this are:

1) which form should I tank? and this is based on what? (i.e. best geared tank tanks which mob)

2) How do I ENSURE that I can pick the bear up when he switches forms?
My understanding is that I have to taunt him off of the other tank when he switches form, however, Righteous Defense has known to fail quite a bit (thinking about using the SSO neck piece for this fight for dodge proc and hit). Does this mean that I have to compete with threat and be second in threat when he's in the form that I do not tank? that is, so in response of a failed Righteous defense I can bop him or frontload threat to regain him?
My udnerstanding of the fight is that the aggro tables never reset or change, thus I want other pally opinions on how to deal with only one true taunt option?
kensanity

Postby Sithy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm

1) The lesser geared tank takes the troll, he hits like a sissy. The bear's bleeds can fuck up a tank with a bad silence, so the tank with the best avoidance and EH should take bear.

2) As far as taunting goes I've never personally seen it resist but theres a few things you can do if it happens.
a) BoP the tank, you'll be second aggro pretty easily
b) On a Bear -> Troll transition, let that tank take him till your taunt is up. If the other tank has the Mangle debuff BoP him after you take the boss back. (100% more damage from bleeds, this is why you need 2 tanks)
c) Bear -> Troll again, let the tank take Troll and you just wait till bear and swap rolls
d) Troll -> Bear, BoP the tank, thats your only option, if they have the Mangle they will get screwed.
Again I've never personally seen a taunt resist on him, and I guess I'm at about 10 kills on my pally and 15+ on my priest. I'm not saying it can't happen, I've just never seen it.

Oh, your in healing gear so if your tanking bear in that you'll probably die!
Sithy

Postby knaughty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Tank the troll, pop wings on the pull. Keep max threat rotation going on bear, you should stay in 2nd easy enough.

Taunt, if that doesn't work, BoP. You did keep 2nd, right?

I didn't check your armory, but he's a pretty serious tank gear check. Certainly harder than Prince gear-wise (much easier in terms of strategy).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Seloei » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Best geared tank on bear form, lesser on troll phase. Troll hits weakly and only randomly charges the dps so he shouldn't be hard to tank.
RD doesn't fail so often as you'd expect. Got a resist last night tho so they are there but a bop fixed it.

The real hard part are the bear riders before the boss, those are the hardest hitting trash ever, as soon as he is about to hit 25%, spam tab and get ready to stun the mount so he doesn't reduce your armor to a clothie level.

P.S. Easiest box in there without any worries about trash/boss wipes is eagle, if you can get everyone to move into to the platform just before storm hits. Don't need to hug the tank but not be far enough.
Last edited by Seloei on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seloei

Postby Ggffstank » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 pm

If you have a druid tank with you I would let him tank the bear unless his gear is way worse then your's. Because...

1) You will produce imba threat against the fast hitting human form and...

2) A druid will have more armor and therefore take way less dmg on a boss that doesn't crush.

If you have a warrior just compare gear.
70 prot pala Kilrogg server
Ggffstank

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

The two bleeds he does aren't mitigated by AC, so yeah a bear will take less damage, but not significantly so.
Sithy

Postby kensanity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:25 pm

So... Nalorak doesn't do crushing blows? I haven't noticed but is it because he is a level 72 mob or has blizzard just modified his attack table. If the former is true does that also mean tanks need only be 485 defense in order to avoid crits from him?

If so this would really open up gear options for me as I would be able to use the sso neck piece for added dodge proc as well as hit rating for taunt
kensanity

Postby fudomyou » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm

kensanity wrote:So... Nalorak doesn't do crushing blows? I haven't noticed but is it because he is a level 72 mob or has blizzard just modified his attack table. If the former is true does that also mean tanks need only be 485 defense in order to avoid crits from him?

No crushes, but he is still a level 73 mob. 490 defense.

Crushing blows and parry haste are considered "tunable" by Blizz to make a hard encounter easier or an easier encounter harder (see: Brutallus, Prince phase 2). Nalorakk hits hard enough on his own that they don't feel a need to make him even harder by letting crushing blows skip through.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Zul'aman