Nature Resist on Akil'zon

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Nature Resist on Akil'zon

Postby Eanin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:03 am

In my experience, most of the damage I'm taking from Akil'zon isn't melee, it's from lightning bolts.

I was wondering if throwing up a few nature resist pieces from my Hydross set would be worthwhile for this fight. I know he crushes, and while I have an uncrittable nature resist set, I don't have an uncrushable one. How badly would that hurt me?
Eanin

Postby Gracerath » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:28 am

Don't bother with NR. Especially if it leaves you open to crushing blows.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:13 am

IF everything is being done right, you shouldn't ever have more than 1 stack of his debuff. 50/50 is a reasonable distribution of how much nature damage he'll deal to you. A Single aura or totem is all the resist you should bother gearing for if you don't completely lolabsorb most of his melee(late T5 gear+)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 am

Don't bother with resist gear, if someone is too far to bring a storm and wipes your raid, theres not much use you could do. Not to mention that if you get too many debuff stacks you can just bubble/cancle fast with the macro and your off to a fresh start.

Easiest boss in there imho :)
Seloei

Postby Brenna » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:18 am

Just tell your hunter(s) to throw up Aspect of the Wild, helps everyone.
Brenna

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:10 am

He does nature damage? :shock:
Usually I play PS3 whilst tanking him remember now and again to throw Holy Shield up
What an easy boss :D
Gray

Postby sweeney » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:38 pm

You'd get much better results from making sure your melee DPS take a step backwards -- it's possible to DPS the boss while not being in range to chain damage to the tank, but all too often they don't do that.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Sweeney wrote:You'd get much better results from making sure your melee DPS take a step backwards -- it's possible to DPS the boss while not being in range to chain damage to the tank, but all too often they don't do that.
BigWigs or DBM have the window to tell if they're too close and I pretty much don't accept people without it if they're melee dps because of that.

Melee dpsers, while they can be safely away from the tank so the tank never gets more than 1 stack... well, they can't defned themselves from it mostly. If you have more than 2 melee dps, they're bound to get chained with 1 to 3 stacks of the debuff. That's the only setup where I recommend any nature resist, but again, not much
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mellithe » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 pm

do you guys normally have the raid collapse on you then spread back out or instead just have up max weather and spell details and go to there?

Seen either work for us but curious what is faster for the timed eventand what is most commonly done
Winter is Coming
Mellithe

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:15 pm

The hearing one tends to be more precise, but I've experienced that about 80% of the storms come with the cooldown so it's not usually necessary. Twice, since 2.4, i've had the problem of having both the mod AND the rain warn me and the storm not coming for quite a while. Can't tell if it was an intended change but be wary if the storm is taking too long to come.

Collapsing tends to work better because this way no melee has to move, and ranged still has a LOT of wiggle room(like, twice of the boss' hit box) to stay in max range for spreading back out.
Last edited by Snake-Aes on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Mellithe wrote:do you guys normally have the raid collapse on you then spread back out or instead just have up max weather and spell details and go to there?

Seen either work for us but curious what is faster for the timed eventand what is most commonly done

We collapse and it's faster for the timed event because your melee never stop.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:11 pm

A decent amount of NR gear on this fight will help smooth out the damage spikes from Call Lightning and the occasional errant disruption. Just make sure you are still uncrittable and uncrushable.

You might take more damage overall by wearing NR, but my mana suffers horribly on this fight anyway, so more damage is welcome. Since spike damage from Call Lightning is probably what is going to kill you anyway, I think NR gear is a win-win situation if you have it.

I noticed a lot of people are advising against NR, but they said the same thing about FR on dragonhawk tanking for Jan'alai (which completely trivializes that task). Just make sure you're still uncrushable and you should be fine.

Edit: Bleh, the OP's question was three weeks ago, but there you have it. At least my post is relevant to the topic.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:40 pm

There's no reason not to collapse on Akil'zon, its just much much easier for all concerned.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:15 am

Tiandelin wrote:A decent amount of NR gear on this fight will help smooth out the damage spikes from Call Lightning and the occasional errant disruption. Just make sure you are still uncrittable and uncrushable.

You might take more damage overall by wearing NR, but my mana suffers horribly on this fight anyway, so more damage is welcome. Since spike damage from Call Lightning is probably what is going to kill you anyway, I think NR gear is a win-win situation if you have it.

I noticed a lot of people are advising against NR, but they said the same thing about FR on dragonhawk tanking for Jan'alai (which completely trivializes that task). Just make sure you're still uncrushable and you should be fine.

Edit: Bleh, the OP's question was three weeks ago, but there you have it. At least my post is relevant to the topic.
For this fight, it's really not necessary at all. Unless the dps is stacked on you during the fight, you'll never receive a big damage spike. You just won't. On the hawks it's different, they are resistable and stack less of that silly debuff, which REALLY helps.

On Akil'Zon.... it's trading six for a half dozen. My bag is full enough as it is(couldn't pick badges of justice last run due to supreme lack of space) without a nature set that really won't help at all. Totems/Aspects give you 70 NR, pretty much all you'll ever need.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Zul'aman