Remove Advertisements

idea: getting 3 specs you can choose from

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

idea: getting 3 specs you can choose from

Postby sbeacher » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 am

I was thinking how nice it'd be if blizzard allowed you to pick 3 specs that you could shift between at given times (maybe you could switch twice a week or 4 times a month or something)

The way it would work is you'd be allowed to pick three specs (one for each talent tree) You'd be required to put at least 41 points or something in whatever tree that spec was reserved for. Then you could change specs however often they allowed.

If you wanted to change any of those "main" specs you still could, but maybe make it 100g or something. Also you would have a limit to how many times you could switch between specs per month or whatever.. Maybe you could switch whenever you wanted IF you paid a fee (something pretty high, 50g or 75g or something)

This way people like us (pally tanks) could actually be useful in arena and/or certain battlegrounds. It would also help classes like shaman/druid/prist/pally etc switch specs to raid as was needed.
sbeacher

Re: idea: getting 3 specs you can choose from

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:33 am

sbeacher wrote:I was thinking how nice it'd be if blizzard allowed you to pick 3 specs that you could shift between at given times (maybe you could switch twice a week or 4 times a month or something)

The way it would work is you'd be allowed to pick three specs (one for each talent tree) You'd be required to put at least 41 points or something in whatever tree that spec was reserved for. Then you could change specs however often they allowed.

If you wanted to change any of those "main" specs you still could, but maybe make it 100g or something. Also you would have a limit to how many times you could switch between specs per month or whatever.. Maybe you could switch whenever you wanted IF you paid a fee (something pretty high, 50g or 75g or something)

This way people like us (pally tanks) could actually be useful in arena and/or certain battlegrounds. It would also help classes like shaman/druid/prist/pally etc switch specs to raid as was needed.

I'd pay as much as 5000g to have unlimited free respecs on one toon.

In fact, I posted as much on the suggestion forums b/c so many of my online friends have echoed that sentiment.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 93&sid=1#0
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Aarek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:46 am

Exalt wrote:

You really respec enough that paying for 100 respecs upfront is a good idea?

Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Aarek

Postby ishlyn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:47 am

I respec'd 9 times last week between arenas for ret, and prot for PVE
ishlyn

Postby Baelor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 am

Aarek wrote:
Exalt wrote:

I respec 1-3 times a week, and have been doing so since October. Before that I was a OCD spec tweaker, respecc'ing every other week. I've been playing since March-April of 2006. I don't even want to do the math to approximate how much gold I've flushed on respecs.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Aarek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 am

Baelor wrote:
Aarek wrote:
Exalt wrote:

I respec 1-3 times a week, and have been doing so since October. Before that I was a OCD spec tweaker, respecc'ing every other week. I've been playing since March-April of 2006. I don't even want to do the math to approximate how much gold I've flushed on respecs.

At an average of 2 respecs a week you'd spend a little over 5k gold in a year of solid respecs.

Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Aarek

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:56 am

Aarek wrote:
Baelor wrote:
Aarek wrote:
Exalt wrote:

At an average of 2 respecs a week you'd spend a little over 5k gold in a year of solid respecs.

While it was still cheap, I had a day where I respec'd 5 times over the course of that day. I went back and forth from ret to prot. Prot for some instance groups and back to ret in between for battlegrounds.

It wasn't a big deal when it was only 10g apiece. But once that hit 50g apiece it got to be a bit ridiculous.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Robin de tolens » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Great idea, imo. I barely ever respec, but I certainly would if we had 3 templates. But not three templates with obligatory one branch with 41 points. I think people should be able to take 3 times the same template if they want to. Requiring a certain amount of points in one branch would be lame : my build is 21/40/0 => I couldn't even save this one =/

Edit : I mean my priest's template, not my tankadin's one ;)
Last edited by Robin de tolens on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby Aarek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Eh, this will most likely never happen anyway... since the reason Blizzard implimented the rising respec cost was to keep people for respecing 5 times a week.

And the 3 different spec thing would just make different specs pointless as most classes basically have 3 cookie cutter specs and if you could swap between them instantaneouly what would be the point of having different specs?

Aarek

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:10 pm

Aarek wrote:Eh, this will most likely never happen anyway... since the reason Blizzard implimented the rising respec cost was to keep people for respecing 5 times a week.

I still haven't been able to wrangle an answer out of anyone. Why did they do this? I could *maybe* understand them not wanting, say, a paladin to be able to waltz into a 25 man and tank everything up to boss A, quickly go respec holy for the encounter, and then respec back to prot once the boss is down.

no... wait.... actually, I can't really understand them not wanting people to be able to do that. I mean... I understood not wanting people to be able to do that until I tried to think of a valid reason for not wanting people to be able to do that.... I wasn't able to, so now I'm back to not being able to understand it.

Oh god, someone help!
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Aleriya » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:12 pm

l would pay 5000g for unlimited respecs in a heartbeat. I would easily make the money back by being able to spec Ret for questing/farming.

Being able to spec for each raid would be a huge benefit. Going up against a caster boss? Make sure you get 2/2 spell warding. Need to offheal tonight? 20/41/0 Taking a non-heroic 5-man? 0/31/30.

I doubt Blizzard would allow it because it would be too good =/

Exalt, I think part of the reasoning is that Blizzard wants each character to have a specific identity. "I am a protection paladin. I can tank, but I can't dps and I can sorta heal" vs. "I'm a paladin, and I can fill any role depending on spec." In practice tho, almost all players are forced to pick which role is primary and which roles are secondary. It's extremely hard to keep all gear sets at an even level, and if you really want to put that much work and gold into a secondary set, then kudos to you.

With arena being an increasingly important part of WoW, Blizzard needs to either make all specs viable in pve and pvp (probably not possible) or respeccing needs to be less of a pain in the ass. A large number of players do both pvp and pve, and I don't know why Blizzard would want to discourage players from experiencing all of their content. It would certainly fix a lot of the QQ related to "omg my spec sucks in arena!"
Aleriya

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Aleriya wrote:It's extremely hard to keep all gear sets at an even level, and if you really want to put that much work and gold into a secondary set, then kudos to you.

It's the spare T4/T5 tokens and being able to throw them into a pvp set, along with the rep gear. For me, this wasn't even an issue until my guild started getting to the point where T4 tokens were geting left on bosses, or given to people who could buy the item and de it.

Aleriya wrote:With arena being an increasingly important part of WoW, Blizzard needs to either make all specs viable in pve and pvp (probably not possible) or respeccing needs to be less of a pain in the ass. A large number of players do both pvp and pve, and I don't know why Blizzard would want to discourage players from experiencing all of their content. It would certainly fix a lot of the QQ related to "omg my spec sucks in arena!"

Yes. They want to turn wow into an e-sport. So they should be all over this one. Making it trivial to respec would increase the amount of pve'ers who would hit up the pvp content, I'd think.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Levantine » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Robin de tolens wrote:Great idea, imo. I barely ever respec, but I certainly would if we had 3 templates. But not three templates with obligatory one branch with 41 points. I think people should be able to take 3 times the same template if they want to. Requiring a certain amount of points in one branch would be lame : my build is 21/40/0 => I couldn't even save this one =/

Edit : I mean my priest's template, not my tankadin's one ;)

THIS HAS BUGGED ME A LOT.

What the hell is the point of going 21/40? No IDS, no CoH. =/ I'm confused.
Levantine

Postby balrogg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:38 am

i like the idea of having 3 or even 2 talent specs to be able to change between at any given time (and paying extra to have either of those changed). granted, the downside of playing a hybrid is supposed to be that you shouldnt be able to perform multiple tasks to their maximum potential at any given time, which is why the system is the way it is now.

i wouldnt hope for pvp implementation for pve specs, since it doesnt really make sense, especially in terms of prot warriors/paladins. not only is there no real "pvp" gear for prot (which is, again, disappointing but understandable), but it defeats the purpose to play a complete defensive spec in an arena deathmatch. i cant imagine a set of gear that would go along with a protection spec, be viable in arena, and not be completely overpowered (ie, stam, resilience, defense, shield block, etc etc on one set of gear). and it would be overpowered for pve haha.
balrogg

Postby Tzuma » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 pm

The only thing I can think of is that it creates a daily imbalance in favor of hybrid classes. For pure damage dealers, their choices are damage, damage or...damage. With tradeoffs based on weapons, style, or survivability. Nothing that most encounters would be better if they changed over for (im sure theres exceptions).

I wouldnt mind however if they allowed for a 'PvP' spec, and a 'PvE' spec, simultaneously. All classes could benefit from it, and it would even the playing field for classes specced for a PvE purpose that does not work in the majority of PvP (like tanks).

However, I believe the main point to respec costs was to keep money flowing out of the economy to stave inflation. They seemed to have shifted away from this goal however with the number of daily quests available these days, so it seems a bit outdated.

PS. I respec just about every other day, if not more. Arena = 1 spec, raiding = one of 2, heroics = one of 2, bgs = prefer one, but will go as any with my premade.
Tzuma

Return to Basic Training & Talents