Add tanking for Dragonhawk

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Add tanking for Dragonhawk

Postby Slamwich » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:56 pm

So, I was assigned to tank the adds for the Dragonhawk boss tonight and I kept running into problems picking them up. We did the whole hatch a whole side strategy and I sat at the little bridge spamming consecrate trying to pick them up. However, half of them seemed to just fly straight over my consecrate to other people in the raid. Now, I did this in my normal tanking gear, which fully raid buffed gives me just over 400 spell damage. Do I not have enough spell damage to pick up all the birds? Why do I only seem to catch about half of them when I continuously spam consecrate?

Any and all advice is welcome.
Slamwich of <Eulogy>
US - Gnomeregan
Slamwich

Postby Tinkerbéll » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm

I had this problem as well. What helped for me was:

As soon as the first egg is hatched I cast AS on the hatcher (saves me from targetting).
Then I put up consecration behind the bridge (I never stand on the bridge). In case some don't agro from consecrate, I taunt them or use JoR on them.
If you have a Hunter make him/her put a frost trap where your consecration is.

I would recommend to use FR gear with some stamina though. Makes it way easier for the healers.
In case you have problems with seeing the bombs while tanking the adds: give a ranged (mage or so) a raid icon. As soon as he/she has a save spot he/she tells you to hug him.
Tinkerbéll

Postby sbeacher » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 am

Here's what works for me:

1. Wear a lot of spelldamage
2. Use the consecrate libram
3. Have a hunter drop slowing trap or shaman drop slowing totem.
4. Have mages/locks hold off aoe until most of them are hatched (be careful as you usually get eggs dropping before they're all dead)
5. Make sure you kill ONE hatched so they don't get released too fast (even on the second side)

FR is not necessary, FR aura should be enough unless your healers suck.

I usually bubble after the first side is dead to remove the 35 or so debuffs on me.

Too bad Nightfall is getting nerfed as there is not much for you to do once the birds are all dead.
sbeacher

Postby Makaijin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:12 am

The list mentioned by sbeacher is all good. But my advice is to not consecrate on the actual bridge, but stand on the main platform about 5 yards from where the bridge ends. A few reasons for this.

First it covers a larger area, so if a stray hawk decides to take off to a healer it'll still be under the consecration for as long as possible.
Secondly when the boss starts his bomb, touching the firewall now puts an undispellable debuff that basically burns you to death.
Lastly, standing on the bridge will get you teleported away to the center of the main platform, as the hatchers never seem to hatch fast enough on the first set of hatchings from the initial pull to the first bombings.
Makaijin

Postby Plencis » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:32 am

i picked up a whole side after boss hatched all eggs in right side, was very lucky i tanked them while fireballs was incoming, survived and then they got pwnd by mages :) lucky :D

just remembered how we wiped 1 month ago there, because ppl couldnt find right spots when fireballs was spawning, now ppl learned to play :D and ads is no more problem, when all raid members survives fireballs. the main thing is to aggro all adds, it depends on how much adds u can handle. i think easy way is to have a hunter that controls the amount they hatch and nuke hatcher when half side is hatched, in next hatcher run, finish the side and proceed to 2nd side and do it before 35% boss hp (as i wrote upper). with fast dps is better to hatch all eggs in 1st side and next time 2nd side, thats my expirience at this boss. :roll:
Steel Rats @ Neptulon

Plencis

Re: Add tanking for Dragonhawk

Postby jere » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:18 am

Slamwich wrote:So, I was assigned to tank the adds for the Dragonhawk boss tonight and I kept running into problems picking them up. We did the whole hatch a whole side strategy and I sat at the little bridge spamming consecrate trying to pick them up. However, half of them seemed to just fly straight over my consecrate to other people in the raid. Now, I did this in my normal tanking gear, which fully raid buffed gives me just over 400 spell damage. Do I not have enough spell damage to pick up all the birds? Why do I only seem to catch about half of them when I continuously spam consecrate?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Well, the nice thing about this is that the more adds that are out, the better consecration is. Healing threat is divided amongst all mobs, while consecration is not, so consecration will out aggro healing threat once enough mobs are up.

What I do:
1. JoR first mob + consecrate
2. AS the next 3
3. JoR one of the incoming 5, swap to melee swings on another

obviously refreshing consecrate every time it is up.

Once you are spawning 5+ at a time, healing aggro won't beat consecrate. Even if the dragonhawk hatchlings run through it, they will turn around and come back.

Also don't tank him on the bridge. Tank him on the platform. If you are on the bridge, he will teleport you for the bombs. If you are on the platform he will not teleport you.
jere

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 am

The fight is healing intensive to the point where consecration alone won't hold aggro until there are enough enemies to spread global threat around(which is about the third wave of hatchlings). I judge the first, AS the second round. From there it's all good as the healing threat won't surpass more than 1 tick of consecration. Frost Trap helps tons.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:54 am

sbeacher wrote:Here's what works for me:

1. Wear a lot of spelldamage
2. Use the consecrate libram
3. Have a hunter drop slowing trap or shaman drop slowing totem.
4. Have mages/locks hold off aoe until most of them are hatched (be careful as you usually get eggs dropping before they're all dead)
5. Make sure you kill ONE hatched so they don't get released too fast (even on the second side)

FR is not necessary, FR aura should be enough unless your healers suck.

I usually bubble after the first side is dead to remove the 35 or so debuffs on me.

Too bad Nightfall is getting nerfed as there is not much for you to do once the birds are all dead.

This. This. This. The difference is HUGE.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 am

Bubbling out of the debuff stacks is killer for the first side. Also, try and cleanse yourself if you can.
For the first side we do em all.
For the second side we decided to do one half at a time. I dont have a bubble on that side and its just easier on the healers.
Our hunter deals with the hatchers.

Dont stand on the bridge itself you cant be there for the bombs.
Dps needs to hold off til the last wave of birds hits your cons area.
After you have em all dps can pretty much burn em down or you can move out to avoid bombs.

To stop them from flyin by you we have our other healers stand on the opposite side so as not to gen aggro. I also hit the first one or two with my mace and judgements. Keep up the aoe after two or three cons stacks you will have anything that comes thru.
Frickit

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 am

jere wrote:Well, the nice thing about this is that the more adds that are out, the better consecration is. Healing threat is divided amongst all mobs, while consecration is not, so consecration will out aggro healing threat once enough mobs are up.

What I do:
1. JoR first mob + consecrate
2. AS the next 3
3. JoR one of the incoming 5, swap to melee swings on another

obviously refreshing consecrate every time it is up.

Once you are spawning 5+ at a time, healing aggro won't beat consecrate. Even if the dragonhawk hatchlings run through it, they will turn around and come back.

This. Though I don't bother with consecrate until I do the shield toss, for mana concerns.

Though I believe the pattern is 1, 2, 3, 4, etc hatchlings, rather than 1, 3, 5, etc. But still, consecrate should be able to hold them after that, especially if you're using an elixir and wizard oil.

As noted elsewhere, FR gear makes this a lot easier.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:56 am

Frickit wrote:To stop them from flyin by you we have our other healers stand on the opposite side so as not to gen aggro. I also hit the first one or two with my mace and judgements. Keep up the aoe after two or three cons stacks you will have anything that comes thru.

If it was like that, we'd be awful murloc tanks at morogrim.

If a mob is engaged in combat, everyone in the group/raid is accounted for the threat.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Frickit wrote:To stop them from flyin by you we have our other healers stand on the opposite side so as not to gen aggro. I also hit the first one or two with my mace and judgements. Keep up the aoe after two or three cons stacks you will have anything that comes thru.

If it was like that, we'd be awful murloc tanks at morogrim.

If a mob is engaged in combat, everyone in the group/raid is accounted for the threat.

We did that cuz the first one would always go straight for our priest who was standing right there.
Frickit

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am

Healing aggro ^^ it's accounted from the moment they hatch.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Moby » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

I know it's been said, but the hunter freeze trap (or, in a pinch, an earthbind totem) really is the key. It becomes easymode when using the trap and consecration together.

One problem I had (because sometimes I can be a tard) is that it was difficult, while tanking the adds, to see where the bombs are. It just took practice and increased attention on my part.
Moby

Postby Sithy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:37 am

Tiandelin wrote:Though I believe the pattern is 1, 2, 3, 4, etc hatchlings, rather than 1, 3, 5, etc. But still, consecrate should be able to hold them after that, especially if you're using an elixir and wizard oil.

Its 1, 2, 4, 8, ~5. Doubles each time the hatcher pops an egg, so at the end there are only around 4 or 5 eggs left he just pops them.

I must admit I hadn't even thought about how healing aggro splits, and it now makes sense why the first 3 or so hatchlings like to run off on me.
Sithy

Next

Return to Zul'aman