Remove Advertisements

OTing Kara

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

OTing Kara

Postby Supernose » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:18 am

Hit 70 a couple days ago and the guild wants to throw me into Kara so I can OT, because lets face it, I'm not ready to MT Kara yet. We haven't been able to do a full clear yet(Nightbane and Illhoof are kicking this guilds ass), so I'm hoping that with me rising from the ranks of DPS(I hate my Hunter now) to a Tank, we'll start demolishing those last two bosses on a weekly basis.

My question is, I know I'm still Crittable, but will I survive as an OT? Or is there anything I can do really quick to get those last points of Def to hit 490? I've thought about replacing some of my +Sta gems with +Def, but I'll have to look and see what I can come up with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Supernose

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:27 am

critable at 70 = baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

I wouldn't allow you in a regular lvl 70 5-man.
Check the gear guide in the gear section(Eanin's?) and don't look back.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Biscotti » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:49 am

Get questing in Netherstorm ... complete Dimensius the All-Devouring and the Arcatraz key chain. That'll get you Dabiri's Enigma and Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard which together should put you over 490 and get you nearer to uncrushable, without needing to rely on lucky drops. You certainly have enough unbuffed spelldamage for Kara without needing to use that threat trinket.
Biscotti

Postby Supernose » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:57 am

Biscotti wrote:Get questing in Netherstorm ... complete Dimensius the All-Devouring and the Arcatraz key chain. That'll get you Dabiri's Enigma and Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard which together should put you over 490 and get you nearer to uncrushable, without needing to rely on lucky drops. You certainly have enough unbuffed spelldamage for Kara without needing to use that threat trinket.

Absolutely. I've looked at it a little bit(I'm at work right now so I can't exactly DO anything about it yet), I can get my guild to help me out with a couple quests to get [item=30300]Dabiri's Enigma[/item], [item=29325]Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves[/item], and [item=28167]Sha'tari Wrought Armguards[/item] before this weekends Kara run. Replacing my two green items and a silly trinket nets me +50 defense and puts me over Uncrittable, so those are my goals to get today. Getting those, how do I look for being a first time OT?
Supernose

Postby Seloei » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:11 am

Critable is a bad thing to be in kara, but as an offtank you will not be tanking the bosses who can crush. And if you are then they will be only doing ~4-6k crushes only. More of a problem is keeping your mana up with that meager amount of damage you take as an OT.

But... get the dabiris enigma for sure and run a bunch more instances to get that magic crit immune, will take a while more for the uncrush.

As for someone saying "i'd never take you to a regular 5 mans" critable is a "0" problem in there, as a pala you outgear that place as soon as you hit 470+ defense and will need to chain drink. Heroic however... one crit can kill you with a low health pool
Seloei

Postby Supernose » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:38 am

Actually now that I'm looking at it, what I could do is replace my [item=24033]Solid Star of Elune[/item] and [item=25898]Tenacious Earthstorm Diamond[/item] in my helm with [item=35501]Eternal Earthstorm Diamond[/item] for my meta and a [item=24052]Thick Dawnstone[/item], and that'll bump me up to 476 Defense, which is hard to push up to 490.

Is it worth losing the 6 Stam from replacing my SSOE with a Yellow gem instead and grabbing that socket bonus, or should I just get the three quest items i mentioned before?
Supernose

Postby Seloei » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:49 am

Gem for stamina (unless the socket bonus is good) and gear for defense/avoidance/block.

Don't be so overly worried about swaping out stamina gems for defense ones just yet, if you really want to take a MT spot in the kara, you will need to get better gear and as an OT, you are fineish already (might get a few high hits but those aren't so big until the pre-prince fleshies).

Also, not sure if you have done it already but. Get Defense on cloak, chest, bracers (better than the alternatives, only at end t5/start t6 stamina might be better). It gives you a lot of wiggling room and uncrit/crush.

And... err... if you really REALLY want to gem for uncritable, use resilience gems instead. They make it far easier to reach (check the Resist thread in Gear for exact numbers of how much you need)
Seloei

Re: OTing Kara

Postby darklight » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:38 am

Supernose wrote:We haven't been able to do a full clear yet(Nightbane and Illhoof are kicking this guilds ass), so I'm hoping that with me rising from the ranks of DPS(I hate my Hunter now) to a Tank, we'll start demolishing those last two bosses on a weekly basis.

Oddly these two bosses don't really need a 2nd tank honestly. Nightbane is definately a 1 tank battle. Sounds like the issue is with the skeleton phase though which yes you'll help with, but it won't be 100% ez-mode. Skeletons will still run towards the dps or healers which people need to be quick on ccing or pulling back to you.

What kind of strats are you using? What is your groups makeup?

For Ilhoof I guess you being on killrek and droping low lvl concs to get the majority of imp attack to you will be helpful, but really if you have a lock + mage combo those imps should be dieing before you can even target them. Lock does nothing but seed, mage aoe's every once in awhile to clean it up.

I'm betting the issue for Ilhoof is the sacrificing for you. Every dps needs to have a macro /target demon chains so that when a sacrifice occurs they are all destroying it. 1 or 2 of your healers needs to focus on the person being sacrificed and thats it. Mages should be IB'ing out and pallies should be DS out of the sacrifice.

All in all the only boss kara needs 2 tanks for is Netherspite. Or at least someone geared enough who can dance the beam while your in downtime.
darklight

Postby dmok » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:44 pm

my guild just has ANY pally (even holy) just pop concentrate and RF when the skellies spawn and aoe em down. sure we take a little more damage than normal from the rain of bones, but we almost always have a shammy to keep everyone up.
dmok

Postby mustangofold » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Supernose wrote:Is it worth losing the 6 Stam from replacing my SSOE with a Yellow gem instead and grabbing that socket bonus, or should I just get the three quest items i mentioned before?

Use an Enduring Talasite (+4 def +6 Sta Green[yellow or blue socket] gem) and you gain 4 def and keep your stamina
mustangofold

Return to Karazhan