Remove Advertisements

So I tried Heroic MgT Last night...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Cosmoz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:43 pm

1st boss:
Just dps and skip everything else. he will go down fast. unless you have 5 bluegeared people.

2nd boss:
As a tankadin, you should easily be able to kill 1 add every respawn, just bubble if healer cant keep you alive (=healer dont have good gear, or you dont). if you have a rogue, or mage, they should be able to take the others. (cloak of cheat, and iceblock is nice)

3rd boss:
here you will need CC. and equip your healing gear. with some CC and 2 healers this fight is a joke.

4th boss:
2nd easiest boss in this instance (from what I experiance) only 1st boss is easier, or equal easy. 2 ranged on phoenix prefered, to down it quickly. If you have a OK dps, kael will be below 50% befor he even starts casting pyro. and in that case, he wont even cast it. if he does, bubble if your DPS cant interupt it. once at 50%, equip the healing gear you can, and start heal if needed. if you die in this phase, well, you cant die, so nevermind.

GG. hope you got your mace and the trinket :) also drops some nice offspec gear (both dps and healing)
Cosmoz

Postby Marker » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I've been skimming through the different MgT posts as they have come along and if I'm not mistaken, the majority seems to recommend popping on healing gear for Delrissa. That's what I've been doing so far, for the 10+ runs I've done and it's worked well.

However, yesterday I got in a bit of an arguement with the group when they saw that I had healing gear on. Everyone was aquainted with the encounter and knew that there was no aggro table, but still thought I should be in Tank or DPS gear. Hell, one of the guys even got grumpy when I said I didn't even bring my DPS gear (if by DPS you mean the big ol' two-hander and other Ret gear.)

It didn't get better when we wiped on the first attempt...

Got her down on second try though, with healer dead after 2nd mob killed and me healing the rest of the encounter, so I guess that still proves my point on healing gear being the best solution for a tankadin.

Am I wrong here? Would DPS have proved more benefitial? I've been collecting different pieces off offspecc equipment throughout my HC/Kara runs, mainly ret gear (Str, Agi, Crit), but didn't think the dmg output would be much of a tiebreaker with a prot specc...
Marker

Postby Taeron » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:37 am

I always switch to healing gear. With a good healer I'll mostly do cleansing and occasional healing, but it's always to be ready in healing gear if the healer bites it or whatever.

A friend and I write this little blog for our guildies and friends at http://wow.kreatorij.si/ and we did a 4-part guide. You'll probably learn nothing new, but you never know, maybe it gives you a pointer or two.

But if you ask me, healing gear for 3rd boss since the fight is more about control and less about a dps rush.
Taeron

Postby sweeney » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 am

If someone thinks you should DPS that fight, they just assume we work like warriors. It trivializes the fight for you to heal for it, since with a little CC the AI just can't focus down both healers before you kill theirs.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Boba-Fett » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:01 am

I've been trying to get attuned for H-MgT for about 5 days now. I took a five month break from WoW after an account hack that left all of my characters naked.

Blizzard graciously restored (some of) my gear, and I've been rebuilding myself from greens as my old (now disbanded) guild's MT. Thus far I've tried MgT 8 times on regular...and failed all 8 times. What I want to know is this a Me/Gear problem? Or is it just bad luck with my groups....?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... s&n=Eondir

Armory Link Above

It's also not a skill issue, I'm fully capable of playing MT for SH without a problem, as well as Kara. (Like I said, I'm just rebuilding my gear =/ )

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that my +9 Staminas should (and will soon be) upgraded to 12s. But at the moment, with all of the money I've forked over to regearing, I'm a little broke.
Boba-Fett

Postby Lookit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:07 am

Boba-Fett wrote:I've been trying to get attuned for H-MgT for about 5 days now. I took a five month break from WoW after an account hack that left all of my characters naked.

Blizzard graciously restored (some of) my gear, and I've been rebuilding myself from greens as my old (now disbanded) guild's MT. Thus far I've tried MgT 8 times on regular...and failed all 8 times. What I want to know is this a Me/Gear problem? Or is it just bad luck with my groups....?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... s&n=Eondir

Armory Link Above

It's also not a skill issue, I'm fully capable of playing MT for SH without a problem, as well as Kara. (Like I said, I'm just rebuilding my gear =/ )

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that my +9 Staminas should (and will soon be) upgraded to 12s. But at the moment, with all of the money I've forked over to regearing, I'm a little broke.

MgT is 100% about execution, and not brute force. Unlike SH, which is mostly melee mobs and can easily be AoE tanked by a paladin, MgT is mostly caster mobs and really needs to be tanked with maximum CC, just like a warrior would. If you have 3 CC classes, the place is an absolute breeze.

Just remember that this is the one heroic where you can't run in and spam consecrate the whole time, and you'll do fine. There are pretty volumous amounts of strats out there as well, for both bosses and trash. Read up on those and you will be prepared.
Lookit

Postby Cosmoz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:11 pm

well AOEing this instance is harder then other heroics, but did my first 100% aoe the other day. (even pulled both big groups at once befor the 1st boss)
the "trick" with AOEing is to tell your group to stay in the hallways, and pull the mobs just around the corner. as a bloodelf, this is even easier. pull them, pop holyshield, Consecration, stun first mob that rounds the corner, use aoe silence, then kill them all!

healing or tanking 3rd boss is both possible. easy to tank? no. but if you WANT, you can tank 1 of the mobs 95% of the time. even if they change agro, your damage will take agro back after a feew sec at most. you will work as a CC. if you have 3 CC classes tho, you prolly will be better off healing... if you bring 1-2 CC, you will NEED more cc. there is no healer in this world that can heal himself or anyone else when 3-4 mobs+pet is hitting anyone in your group.
UNLESS....
you bring 4 warriors with arena gear :P damn....that would have been nice to watch....
Cosmoz

Postby protean » Tue May 20, 2008 10:46 am

I don't want to start a new thread since it is on the same topic.

I did HMGT for the first time last night and it went well up until Kael. We did, I think, close to 10 attempts, but could not get him down. There were several problem that I saw. In some attempts, our dps could not control the phoenix. In some, our dps was not enough to get him before Pyroblast. In some, our healer could not keep me alive. At the end, I volunteered to step out for a better geared tank, and they got him right away. I feel pretty bad because it seemed to be because of me. I have around 15.1k buffed. My question is, how much hp should I have before I can be expected to tank Kael in heroic mode.

Thanks.

P.S. I was lucky that the commendation dropped on the first run, so I got mine right away. I would still like to go back there for the tanking mace though.
protean

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 20, 2008 10:50 am

protean wrote:There were several problem that I saw. In some attempts, our dps could not control the phoenix.

Your DPS fails if they can't control the phoenix.

In some, our dps was not enough to get him before Pyroblast.

Bubble the pyroblast.

I have around 15.1k buffed. My question is, how much hp should I have before I can be expected to tank Kael in heroic mode.

Gear advice stiiickyyyyy-- just kidding. :) You're as well geared as I was when I did it. If you're feeling squishy, make sure you are staying out of the fire explosions (looks a LOT like consecrate ;)), and that you have Fire resistance aura on. (well, actually,not sure FR aura helps at all.)

Have a potion and healthstone handy, and remember to run away as he casts Pyroblast ... and bubble when it's nearly done. Then, once phase 2 hits, help heal.
Kelaan

Postby Cearn » Tue May 20, 2008 11:12 am

Kelaan wrote:[...] make sure [...] that you have Fire resistance aura on. (well, actually,not sure FR aura helps at all.)

Flamestrike and Phoenix Hellfire are resistable. Not that anyone should actually be hit by those...
Cearn

Postby Ciandin » Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am

Have dps interrupt the pyroblast if you can (rogue/mage/shaman)
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 20, 2008 12:02 pm

How much dps is necessary to take down the shield? I've only managed to drop it once, with a t6 group >.> Rest was zomgbubblez
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lookit » Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm

protean wrote:I don't want to start a new thread since it is on the same topic.

I did HMGT for the first time last night and it went well up until Kael. We did, I think, close to 10 attempts, but could not get him down. There were several problem that I saw. In some attempts, our dps could not control the phoenix. In some, our dps was not enough to get him before Pyroblast. In some, our healer could not keep me alive. At the end, I volunteered to step out for a better geared tank, and they got him right away. I feel pretty bad because it seemed to be because of me. I have around 15.1k buffed. My question is, how much hp should I have before I can be expected to tank Kael in heroic mode.

Thanks.

P.S. I was lucky that the commendation dropped on the first run, so I got mine right away. I would still like to go back there for the tanking mace though.

The phoenix has an AoE fire effect, meaning that it's much easier on the healer if only ranged DPS dps's the phoenix. Have melee stick to Kael. Also, make sure to ask your group to interrupt as many of Kael's fireballs as possible - they each hit for 4-5k which is pretty significant.

I opt to use FR aura in the first half of the fight, because while his fireballs and of course pyroblast aren't affected by it, it can help smooth out probems with people not running out of the phoenix's aoe or the flamestrike. While in a perfect run, FR aura would be useless in this fight, the fact is that having a bit of a buffer against mistakes is much more useful than Devo or Ret aura.

For pyroblast, ideally your group will have enough DPS to burst through the shield and interrupt it, but if that isn't the case you can bubble right at the end. Be sure to click off the bubble right after the pyro hits, or else he'll 2 shot the next person on the aggro list.

For Phase 2, Conc aura is definitely the way to go. Make sure everyone knows that moving out of the way of the arcane orbs is a lot more important than finishing a spellcast.

Between the phoenix in phase 1 and the gravity lapse in phase 2, this is definitely a fight that punishes melee DPS and encourages ranged DPS.

It's a fun fight once you get it down, and he has a chance to drop a lot of cool things - the tanking mace, the hawkstrider mount, the blood elf disguise item, the phoenix hatchling, and several rare profession recipes. Good luck =D
Lookit

Postby Diazepam » Tue May 20, 2008 3:51 pm

We managed to finish this on heroic on Sunday.

The first boss is a joke. Just treat him like Warlord Kalithresh in Steamvaults. Drag him to a crystal, dps the crystal down when he channels from it and then drag him to the next crystal, rinse, repeat.

The key to the second boss, for my group, was controlling DPS. The first attempt we made on him, the DPS was so high that he had spawned 3 sets of orbs before the person assigned to handle the orbs had managed to kill them. So, we decided to simply manage the DPS. Drop him 15%, he spawns the first orb, lay off on the DPS until the orb is down, then return to DPS'ing the boss. Once we started doing it this way, it was easy.

The third boss is just a royal pain. I ended up switching my tank gear out for my healing gear to beat this one. Just make sure to HoJ the mob you've been assigned to CC when the cool down is up. Too bad that silly healing trinket dropped instead of my commendation. Oh well.

Kael was a joke. The DPS in my group was high enough that Kael dropped below 50% before he had a chance to cast pyroblast. We one shot him.
Diazepam

Postby Worldie » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm

To be fairly honest on the first boss, it's easier to just ignore crystals and DPS the boss down. The mana he'll not drain might be 1 or 2 explosions at most...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics