Am I ready for heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Am I ready for heroics?

Postby rmkBow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... maul&n=Rmk

I realize my dodge is on the low side. I'm reading up on what kind of gear I will be able to attain.

But aside from that, I should be able to do heroics decently right? I've only tanked a few heroics, but mainly with a few guildies with quite a few epics, if not full. My usual healer keeps complaining how I take too much dmg. I think he's at around 1400 +heal at the moment, resto shaman.

we've done mgt with 3 cc's (kael was fairly difficult). sp with 2 cc's. ramps with 2 cc's. few wipes every now and then, espcially if the marking and pulls didn't go as planned.

Also, any suggestions what kinda of healer i should be looking for if i'm pugging?
rmkBow

Postby Robin de tolens » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 am

Priest FTW! And no I'm not biased :roll:
Honestly I don't know what the best healer for a tankadin is. It certainly depends on the dungeon you're running.
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby Gimorth » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 am

If you have run Heroic MgT then you should generally be OK to run anything, really. The rules don't change when you are running with a PUG, though. You will still need to CC, you will still need to know which mobs need to be focused on first and you will still need to know the pulls.

Here are my musings on your armory.

1) I don't know why you have BOM on instead of kings. BOM is useless. Kings is great.

2) Your HP is OK. Continue to focus on Stamina as your main stat and you should be good going forward.

3) Your armor is not OK. I recommend that you really focus on your SSO rep to get that sexy shield. There is so much armor gain there, it's unreal. Also, I really think you should pick up toughness.

4) Certain items that you have equipped are more appropriate for raid tanking than Heroic tanking. Andormu's tear is great for reaching uncrushable, but I have found that it does very little for heroics. The blue ring from Vellaxus is actually quite nice for heroics. (Your PvP healing ring could also be replaced with some ease, as well.)

5) I have found (as a tank) that is it really unacceptable to under-enchant anything. Your CFS should have +40 SD. Your bracers should have +12 Def. Your shoulders shoul have an Aldor inscription on it.

6) Finally, you are going to be victim of drops in order to address some of your issues. Righteous shoulders are the best pre-raiding shoulders that we have access to for heroics. Pair them with the breastplate or helmet and the set bonus makes them even better.
Gimorth

Postby rmkBow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:03 am

haha, i was bg'ing, so the might blessing probably came from that.

hmm... toughness and the sso shield... okay. i'll put it on my list of things to do. i didn't really think about armor too much. i just thought it would come with the tank gear.

i'll take a look at te gear lists for rings

my bracers! i completely forgot. i only got them very recently. as for the shoulders, i was going to do bot and hope for the righetousness shoulders before enchanting it. lol.

thanks for the advice. time to do more reading and grinding =.=
rmkBow

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:09 am

rmkBow wrote:hmm... toughness and the sso shield... okay. i'll put it on my list of things to do. i didn't really think about armor too much. i just thought it would come with the tank gear.

Armor is powerful. Toughness for me is like 2000 armor ... it's huge. And the more armor mitigates, the more powerful both stamina and block value are, comparatively.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 am

rmkBow wrote:hmm... toughness and the sso shield... okay. i'll put it on my list of things to do. i didn't really think about armor too much. i just thought it would come with the tank gear.

Armor is a really easy thing to overlook, because you might compare the mitigation with and without devotion aura and think "Eh, 800 extra armor takes me from 52% reduction to 53.5% reduction. Big woop."

But the important thing to remember is this:

A mob hits you for 5000 before armor. 52% reduction takes that to 2400. 53.5% reduction takes that to 2325, which is slightly over a 3% reduction in damage that you're taking. And it only gets better as you get more armor. For an extreme example, if you were to have 98% damage reduction from armor (impossible, since the cap is 75%, but this is just for illustrative purposes), simply by getting an additional 1% mitigation from armor, you would be decreasing the actual amount of damage you receive by 50%.

As for tanking heroics, remember that mobs in heroics cannot crush, so uncrushability is a non-issue. Focus on stamina, avoidance, armor and spell damage, and you'll do fine.

Also be sure to encourage the rest of your group to help keep you alive. This means warlocks using their imp for the stamina buff even if their dps is better with another pet, using debuffs on hard-hitting melee mobs like Curse of Weakness, Thunderclap, and Demo Shout, using stuns on mobs as much as possible to reduce their dps, using interrupts on spells so you don't have to take them in the face, etc. A lot of DPSers think "Keeping the tank alive? That has nothing to do with me" but they couldn't be more wrong.
Lookit

Postby rmkBow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 pm

yeah =\ i didn't realize it. i just turned on devo aura... boosts armor dmg miti by 2% =\

the few tank guides i read all just talked about stam, avoidence, etc etc.. so i didn't really think about armor.
rmkBow

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:36 pm

rmkBow wrote:yeah =\ i didn't realize it. i just turned on devo aura... boosts armor dmg miti by 2% =\

the few tank guides i read all just talked about stam, avoidence, etc etc.. so i didn't really think about armor.

Remember, it will actually reduce your damage by more than 2%. If it takes you from, say, 60% reduction to 62% reduction, that's actually a 5% reduction in the damage you're taking.

(If a mob hits you for 100, with 60% reduction you get hit for 40. With 62% reduction you get hit for 38, which is exactly 5% less than 40)

Bottom line, armor is very good stuff =)
Lookit

Postby rmkBow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 pm

haha, time for a respec then xD i totally skipped toughness for the armor increase because i didn't realize how big of a diffference it made.

any comments on this build here?
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=smZVhtIx0zgMqtV0x
rmkBow

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:29 pm

That spec is nearly identical to mine, with two exceptions:

I picked up 1 Handed Weapon Specialization instead of Reckoning. 1HWS is 5% more damage from ALL sources while you're using a 1H, meaning it affects consecrate, seals, heck even DMC:V procs. It's a huge boost to AOE tanking and only gets better as you gear up.

Reckoning on the other hand, gets *worse* as you gear up and gain more avoidance. The higher your avoidance is, the less it procs. It also causes more boss parries. While overall it is a great talent, especially at lower gear levels, it was really the only thing in the prot tree that I felt I could stand to lose as I continued gearing up.

And I think it's pretty safe to skip Divine Intellect. 8% more intellect for a typically protadin will usually be no more than 12 intellect. That's 4 talent points for 180 mana, which I'm extremely confident in saying is not worth it =)

I would put those points in either:

Pursuit of Justice - 15% extra movement speed is hot. Running, swimming, flying, mounted, this increases it all. Plus 3% chance to resist spells.

Improved Judgement - 2 second faster Judgement means 20% more threat from JoR. Not too shabby.

1HWS - see above

Imp Seal of the Crusader - this gives 3% chance to crit to the whole raid when you judge Crusader, which is of course great for your threat output even without the talent. Really shines in 25-mans, less so in 10 mans, and isn't really that noticable in 5-mans. Definitely a great talent to pick up when you start doing more 25-mans.
Lookit

Postby ldeboer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

Lookit wrote:That spec is nearly identical to mine, with two exceptions:

I picked up 1 Handed Weapon Specialization instead of Reckoning. 1HWS is 5% more damage from ALL sources while you're using a 1H, meaning it affects consecrate, seals, heck even DMC:V procs. It's a huge boost to AOE tanking and only gets better as you gear up.

Ahhh crudz your right I had to checked after I just respecced ... dam it why didnt you do this discussion before I respecced and lost 1HWS.
ldeboer

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics