Where does most of your avoidance come from?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Where does most of your avoidance come from?

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm not sure about the thread title, but i couldnt think of anything else

I'm tanking late tier 4 content, kara clears, ZA, Gruul/Mag clears. I have...24% unbuffed dodge in my uncrushable set. I could bump that to about 26% if I buy the new 2.4 dodge ring. My question is...should I?

I only have about 14% block, and 16% parry. Looking at other paladin tanks, they have a lot less dodge and a lot more block. Can this dodge keep going? A lot of people have recommended that I dump some dodge in favour of stamina, but looking at my gear I can't find any way to do that. All of my gems bar one or two are +12 stamina, and the ones that aren't +12 stam are in sockets where I will pretty much get the same amount of stamina + more stuff due to socket bonuses.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 pm

In tier 4-5ish content, you'd want to have 50%ish pure avoidance (parry+miss+dodge). Base your calculatons on that.

Things there don't rly hit hard, having more than 50% means you will risk going out of mana.

Obviously don't base your ideas on paladins tanking t6+ content, you basically look for completely different stats in there.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aerfalle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 pm

You have one glaringly obvious way to do that. Don't use a pocketwatch.

Get a DMC:V, or a rocket launcher, or even the violet badge. If you were JC, I'd suggest the crimson serpent.

Also, let me say that you should definitely drop some dodge. That ring is an upgrade, 26% dodge is too high for practically all situations. 24% is more than I'd want for most situations as well.

You have one other great way to reduce dodge and increase stam, the SSO:Aldor exalted necklace. If you can spare the defense, it's a huge amount of stam.

A couple other random things... you may want to get the nethercleft kit for your legs and threat to gloves. That'll be a wash for stamina but it's a good choice.
Aerfalle

Postby Novariety » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:13 pm

I am in the later part of T5 content (we are on Vashj) and on bosses I have just shy of 55% avoidance raid buffed. In SSC bosses I actually tank are Lurker (god I hate tanking him), FLK and Leo where on Leo I actually dress for max threat so I think from memory only have about 48% avoidance but my block is upto about 26%. My signature has my stats for my boss tanking setup unbuffed.

So it really depends on what you are fighting in which gear make up you will go with.

As far as the ring goes it is a nice one and I have it.
Novariety

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Aerfalle wrote:You have one glaringly obvious way to do that. Don't use a pocketwatch.

Get a DMC:V, or a rocket launcher, or even the violet badge. If you were JC, I'd suggest the crimson serpent.

Also, let me say that you should definitely drop some dodge. That ring is an upgrade, 26% dodge is too high for practically all situations. 24% is more than I'd want for most situations as well.

You have one other great way to reduce dodge and increase stam, the SSO:Aldor exalted necklace. If you can spare the defense, it's a huge amount of stam.

A couple other random things... you may want to get the nethercleft kit for your legs and threat to gloves. That'll be a wash for stamina but it's a good choice.

I have a DMC:V, but i can't wear it or I go crushable by about 1%. I wear the pocketwatch for bosses and the DMC:V + Commendation for trash. I think I have about 53-54% pure avoidance.
Tyaera

Postby Aerfalle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:33 pm

38 dodge is a lot extra to get 1% avoidance... I'm sure there are a lot of ways you can get the 1% without losing 51 stamina. Unless you *need* the dodge or the oh **** button on that encounter, I wouldn't bother. But it's your call.
Aerfalle

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Aerfalle wrote:38 dodge is a lot extra to get 1% avoidance... I'm sure there are a lot of ways you can get the 1% without losing 51 stamina. Unless you *need* the dodge or the oh **** button on that encounter, I wouldn't bother. But it's your call.

basically an ideal situation is if I get maiden's gloves, neck finally, and my t4 helm, I can swap out my tier 4 gloves, keep the 2pc bonus, and drop the pocketwatch while still remaining uncrushable.
Tyaera

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 am

Well personally just got the Scarab of displacement, and have to say that 28% dodge is really spunky in SSC, its just so fun having 2 osht buttons and > 55% raid buffed avoidance, ok I miss the commendation but hey, swap gear for the situation I say (since I am finally starting to get AoE vs MT pieces :D, my bags hate me).
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:59 am

The badge ring aslong as you dont go below 490def or -5.6% chance to be crit is a solid upgrade to most rings...ring of sundered souls and badge vendor ring is a pretty balanced and complimentary gearing selection just due to how the items are itemised...
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Nicki

Postby MomysLidlMonsta » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:19 am

I think having around 50% pure avoidance is a good baseline. If you are tanking some place you completely outgear or are AoE tanking drop some for more blockrating/value and spelldmg, if you are tanking some hard hitting boss you should aim higher. Adjusting your gear to the situation is the key.
MomysLidlMonsta

Postby Narcil » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:35 am

bottom line, if you loose block, you loose threat....you have to make that up somehow, increasing spell dmg is one way. but that much dodge on trash is hard, considering you will be going oom a lot, and you wont get the huge aoe threat shield blocks bring.

I swap out almost all of my dodge gear for spell dmg/block gear on trash, and swap in a ton of dodge for slow hard-hitting bosses

my 2 cents
Narcil

Postby kalbear » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 am

bottom line, if you loose block, you loose threat.
Not really. Not significantly, at least. The days where holy shield are the best source of TPS for a paladin are long, long dead.

Especially on AoE with multiple mobs; with those, you'll plow through your holy shield charges quickly and then be out. Consecrate becomes far bigger in this case, not holy shield.
kalbear

Postby Narcil » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:58 am

But my 2nd statement still holds true, if you dodge to much, you WILL go OOM on trash...
Narcil

Postby Aenema » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:19 am

Narcil wrote:But my 2nd statement still holds true, if you dodge to much, you WILL go OOM on trash...

I just pull more mobs if I see my mana dropping faster than my health TBH.

I don't tank in T6 encounters by far yet, only Late T4 but as I see it, if you go OOM you are doing too few mobs at the time. Just pick up another set of mobs and experiment. Kara is a good place to do that.

For example up til a week ago i was doing 1 group at the time just before moroes and drinking a little between each pull. So i started to experiment, and now I do the whole room except the elites by the walls at the time and it goes just as smooth and 10 times faster.
You can prolly do more than you think you can tbh.

/my 0.02$

There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Aenema

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:20 am

The dodge ring is not only a dodge ring.
It's one of the best effective health rings in the game, paired with the Karazhan exalted ring.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations