after uncrushable?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 pm

61 points in the prot tree?

That's a ... new ... one.

Do heroics for badges. Mech is 4 easy badges. The Slave Pens and Underbog are also fast and easy, for 3 and 4 badges, respectively. Running those three once a day will get you 10 badges a day in under two hours. Do the daily for 2 bonus badges. It'll be good practice as well.

There isn't much kara gear that you won't replace with badge gear, sooner or later. Badge gear is considerably better than Kara gear.
The neck off Maiden is quite good. Kara's pretty much farming for 22 badges a week to buy better gear.

For reference, I've spent 982 badges on my character.

Also, imp devo aura doesn't scale well past a certain point. Those 5 points can be better spent elsewhere, at a certain progression level.

I don't know that any t6 tankadin has imp devo.

Good luck.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby turion350 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:58 am

you dont need to farm badges to become uncrushable. you can go into Kara with blues and be uncrushable and main tank, you just have to farm them. I know there have been post on here with what gear to look for to go into kara and successfully mt it without badge rewards.
Teurion of Kael'thas
Lvl 80 Human
turion350

Postby Cosmoz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 am

getting uncrush without badges/kara gear is easy. even outside heroics its easy. atm I only have the libram from badges, and if i want I can get 107%+ avoidance+block. so there is not a problem getting there. Badges will get you there even easier
Cosmoz

Re: after uncrushable?

Postby darklight » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 am

Hi OP,

As others stated there are a few items in kara that would do pallie tanks well. Yes items outside of kara would do you a ton better (badge chest, engineering helm) but a few that are very good and pretty easy to get are the pocket watch from Moroes, the necklace and gloves from maiden. All of the other items essentially can be gotten thru instances and badge gear and would put u perfect for gruul/za.

Granted I've done 25+ runs of kara now and still haven't gotten the pocket watch or necklace myself :evil: and its not because I didn't lose a roll, just havn't had it drop. I think darrowmere just hates tank drops.

I'm on darrowmere too and if you need some help or chat feel free to psm. I recently just fully solo tanked kara (except netherspite) without a single offtank type class. Push yourself to become a MT because sooner or later you won't even need an OT.
darklight

Postby sweeney » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 pm

To the OP:

Go read the stickies. Don't get defensive and think people are being asses when they give you advice on the level of "You should look both ways before crossing the street", because that's how fundamental this is.

Save up for the 75 badge tanking chest. You have revered with Keepers of Time, so get Continuum Blade + spelldmg enchant,. Look for items with block *rating* to get you the rest of the way to uncrushable. Swap your shield for Shield of the Wayward footman off the AH, with a block rating enchant, if needed -- that's almost 5% more towards uncrushable there.

That'll set you up to MT lower Kara just fine. Pick up any epic tanking pieces that drop there. While staying uncrushable, start gemming for stamina and prioritizing dodge over block rating. I tanked through opera with 11k HP and 5% under uncrushable, it's wasn't pretty, but it worked and you're better doing that than PUGing a main tank.

Also, Imp Devo Aura is pretty much useless, for future reference. That'll free up some points for you the next time you respec.

I really would suggest you push to MT things -- I'm not trying to be funny or mean when I say that I know what "healers had to leave after Moroes" is code for. It means that the run was sloooowwww and exhausting to heal. Having you MT, regardless of gear, will allow the group to establish a routine. Right now they don't know if a pugged tank can hold threat, if he's going to take huge damage spikes, whatever. Working with you will allow them to establish a baseline, and it'll make it a lot less stressful on the healers in the long run.

Final note: Remember that uncrushable means nothing on trash -- as deep a HP pool as you can manage will make the healers jobs easier.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby krick » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:11 am

turion350 wrote:you dont need to farm badges to become uncrushable. you can go into Kara with blues and be uncrushable and main tank, you just have to farm them. I know there have been post on here with what gear to look for to go into kara and successfully mt it without badge rewards.

This is roughly my gear when I started tanking in Kara...

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/44015

It's all quest rewards, reputation rewards, crafted items with the exception of the libram (15 heroic badges) and the sword and shield, which are auction house BoE items. This set of gear includes ZERO boss drops so you don't have to do a ton of instances or heroics praying for gear to drop.

This character is uncrittable, uncrushable with holy shield up, and just short of 12K health and armor (each) unbuffed.

Note that I'm using decent gems and enchants for each slot, but if you want to tank, you're going to have to pay the price.
krick

Postby Rashakal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 am

To the OP:
Question: I am just wondering why are you Tailoring? I would suggest Engineering for Tankatronic Goggles or Jewelcrafting for Gems, or Mining to make money.

Now Gear: Here is a list of things you will want to get made for you, so start farming mats.

Cloak of Eternity - Is made from Tailoring
Bracers of the Green Fortress - Is made from Blacksmithing

Get cloak only if you can't get Devilshark Cape from Steamvaults Last Boss.

I would also replace your Warchief's Mantle with Spaulders of the Righteous from Botanica.
Rashakal

Postby kavio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 am

I just got my own group of Kz starting yesterday. I'm the MT and I have good gear enough IMO.

I won't talk about your specc because it's not what you wanna hear.

For your gear, try to find pieces with block rating. It helps a lot to get to 102.4% avoidance. Your enchant on your cloak doesn't look usefull anymore. Regal protectorale could be upgraded with the trinket from Shattered Hall. Really good for pally tanks.

Keep in mind that block rating gives more avoidance then dodge or parry. try to get the shield with spell dmg et block rating from shattered sun offensive instead of the one you got. Atm, I have almost 26% block for not even 17% parry and 17% dodge.

There is also the shoulders that need to be upgraded but yeah, it's a pain to get better shoulders. Since I decided to get my shield from sha'tar, I ran tons of Bot and got my shoulders. These are the only one I know that are done for pally tanking. Otherwise, I don't know what you could take instead.

Yeah, you looks almost ready for Karazhan. Few upgrade may helps and try to not overcap defense that much.
kavio

Postby Catriona » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:47 am

Overcapped defense = cheap avoidance. ^_^
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Postby kavio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 am

yeah, that's true but once he's uncrushable, he shouldn't have much more then 490...
kavio

Postby Gimorth » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am

kavio wrote:
I won't talk about your specc because it's not what you wanna hear.

Truthfully, though, this is what he needs to hear about MOST. Both his 0/61/0 spec and his comments about devotion aura lead me to believe that there are some fundamental pieces of understanding that need to be filled in before you can even address the gear issue.

The 5% avoidance that you pick up from putting 10 points in Ret is HUGE. Although you may outgrow the need for, say, the extra 5.33% BR fromt he badge libram, you will never outgrow an extra 5% chance to parry.

Additionally, imp Devotion aura would be nice... if we ever used Devo aura. Unfortunately, however, the benefits you gain from Ret Aura far outwigh the armor bonus.

I'm not really sure what you are asking for, really. Your original post made it seem like you are looking for some advice on how you could turn yourself into an MT. Your subsequent posts, however, make it seem like you are more than happy to OT.
Gimorth

Postby Lalecize » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Not sure if the OP will show up again - But I too wanted to say a few things.

1) Good work - you have made the right step by coming here. You have at least come looking on the internet for advice on pallytanking, and fortunately you have ended up here. This shows initiative, and to be honest everyone wanting to tank should seek the information you are after. The fact you are searching for information on improving your character is a big thumbs up.

2) People like Gullix know a shitload about pallytanking. You obviously don't even know the bosses names in Kara. For this reason you should listen. I apologize on behalf of the community if you were spoken to rudely at first. Lets face it we get a lot of people come here "AM MY GEarZ GUDZ enuF???!!!!111", and "How DO Y tank AZ pallydin". The initial advice to read the stickies is completely true - All your answers lie in the stickeys. Please listen to the wisdom of people like him.

3) Read this - http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=163 - and read it thorougly. It is your new best friend.

4) Spec. Just because you like your spec doesn't mean it is the best. My spec is different to Guillex's. I have tweaked mine and tested it, and came up with something I like. Most of us have done that. That said if someone were to suggest an improvement that would help me vastly - I would investigate it and possibly make the change.
61 points in the prot tree is not recommended at all. In fact pallytanks using 47-50 points in prot is rather high in terms of talent trees, most builds in wow are spread 41 in the main tree, 20 in the sub tree. Take a look at the Talent Specs thread, and decide for yourself what you would prefer. Take a cookie cutter build and work around it. There are always a few points you can choose to place where you like (e.g. I have PoJ as a personal preference).
I got my first build from that thread and adapted as I saw fit after reading posts in there.

5) Strive to be Maintank. Pallys simply don't work that well as offtank. We require mana to be able to produce threat, and we get mana back from heals. We need to be hit to get mana. MT suits us just fine, unless you like buying 50 mana pots a raid...
Don't let your guild recruit a warrior or druid to take the spot you will kick yourself forever. That said with your spec and gear they may be hesitant. Please take this advice in, show them you are serious about tanking and they will soon realise a pallytank is one of the best assets a guild can have currently.
Unless you like buying 50 mana pots a raid...

6) Goodluck my friend. Now become a fucking raid boss like the rest of us.
Lalecize

Postby kavio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Atm, the OP is 0/51/10. Better but still not good enough. That I know. I just mentioned that he didn't seem to listen about how to specc. Any, just forget that.
kavio

Postby Lalecize » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:47 pm

kavio wrote:Atm, the OP is 0/51/10. Better but still not good enough. That I know. I just mentioned that he didn't seem to listen about how to specc. Any, just forget that.

Lol I wasnt meaning to dig at anyone with my post - I agree with all of you completely. Just trying to help him a bit. Ultimately if he listens is another factor. I severly doubt he will judging by the attitude given by him on here.
Lalecize

Previous

Return to Karazhan