Heroic SH gauntlet between boss 1 and 2

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Cearn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:53 am

If your healer has serious mana problems, take it slow. pull the first three to the side, if they went down, get the next two and have your healer get a bite or two on his buiscits, always get them in 2s or 4s and take it slow. as drinking has been eased in the gauntlet you should easily be able to slowpace the gauntlet (i did it when drinking involved buiscit burning^^). and simply don't aggro the boss with the pack of 4 still being alive. take them down, regen, wait for the next pat and engage the boss.
easy mode.

PS: Mages help because the got nova and kiting abilities/DB, locks are great because they can SS the healer and fear is nice to have. If your priest is being molested (he should always have shield up and fade on CD anyways oO), let him use PS. Having mobs run wild is a thousand times better than loosing your healer in the gauntlet. Skilled Rogues are fun to have in there as well.
Cearn

Postby Marker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Not exactly a gauntlet question but still SH:
Lately I've been struggeling alot with the gladiators. Not with the groups themselves, but when pulling the other groups in the middle. I normally AS, run back behind the corner, lay down a consecrate and let people AoE to their hearts content. Now I'm pulling the glads as well on several occations... Any input to how the middle groups should be pulled to aviod the extra 5 mobs? However CC seems to be one of the errors. SAP or shep one, and as it breaks and we've only got 1-2 mobs left, gladiatorpack come steaming in with 100% health...

My main intention is to skip the glads and only pull the middle ones without aggroing extra mobs..
Marker

Postby Cearn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 am

kill the legionairs first, then go aoe.
OR
don't CC the mob closest to the gladiators, or rather, CC the one furthermost to the middle. and make sure your frisbee doesn't hit the guy on the right on the second group ><
Cearn

Postby ldeboer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:26 am

Marker wrote:Not exactly a gauntlet question but still SH:
Lately I've been struggeling alot with the gladiators. Not with the groups themselves, but when pulling the other groups in the middle. I normally AS, run back behind the corner, lay down a consecrate and let people AoE to their hearts content. Now I'm pulling the glads as well on several occations... Any input to how the middle groups should be pulled to aviod the extra 5 mobs? However CC seems to be one of the errors. SAP or shep one, and as it breaks and we've only got 1-2 mobs left, gladiatorpack come steaming in with 100% health...

My main intention is to skip the glads and only pull the middle ones without aggroing extra mobs..

This bit I have no trouble with :)

Stand near left wall towards left pit.
Pulll him when he is leftmost and the next pack wont come and frisbie cant hit them.
ldeboer

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:01 am

I had an issue learning this when I started tanking as well. We used to almost always wipe a couple of times on this part.

1. No one gets in front of you.
2. Healer watches the mobs so he doesn't heal you when mobs are still running towards you and not in your consecrate.

Shield the first three, and run right past them. They should stay on you til they die even if you ignore them after the shield. Run up as soon as you can, you should run into about two stationary mobs and about four or five running at you. Stop there and blow consecrate. save judgement of righteousness for a loose mob, any other loose ones one taunt should take care of. Sit there for a few seconds to build good aggro then turn back around and take off. You should be able to run to the last four mobs before the boss. Do the same thing. As the last couple are dying AS the boss. If you time it wrong you will get fresh adds as you pull the boss.

If dps is slow then instead of burning them down and running after stopping the first time just walk backwards consecrating, keeping your taunt and judgement for loose mobs. If they still don't come for you don't hesitate to avenger's shield either, or BoP the healer.

Another very nice trick, if you have a hunter in the group, or two tell them to save MD's for loose mobs. I did it once with three hunters, it's a very safe feeling in the gauntlet, lol.
Holyfuri

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:04 am

Marker wrote:Not exactly a gauntlet question but still SH:

I know from my rogue that there is a bug, where if you sap one of the mobs on the end of the big pack in between the gladiator packs when the sap breaks it will aggro one of the gladiator packs. Don't use the sap and it won't happen. What I do if I don't have any melee dps is run up into the big group and stand right in the middle, lol. If you have melee you have to pull them back because one of the mobs fears.
Holyfuri

Postby Makaijin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:22 am

The thing that I found is that the slower you take, the more adds you have to deal with. The way i normally do it is just run all the way down and stop just before the end of the gauntlet. When the first pack is about 15-20 yard in front of you, lay a consecrate and keep running. Then just keep laying down consecrates every cooldown while still running. Use blessing of freedom if you have to. Everyone else in the party should be behind you, with the mob pack between you and the rest of the group.

If done right (its not hard) you should only have 2 mob packs chasing you, and you should be at a distance just far apart enough that your not getting melee'd by the mobs chasing you. Persuit of Justice talent helps, but not essential. As soon as you stop, turn around 180 degrees, lay down another consecrate, healer should start healing as soon as possible, and the rest is history.

The secrete to only getting 2 mob packs is you must never stop running when you get past the S bend before the gauntlet. If you even slow down past that point chances are you will get 3 mob packs. Depending on your gear and how soon your healer starts healing as soon as you stop it's not that stressing.

Just yesterday, I didn't bother stopping and went right for the boss, but this was a guild run and we're all in ZA/T5 stuff so it isn't really recommended. The main thing to take note is the faster and sooner you run down, the less adds you have to deal with.
Makaijin

Postby ldeboer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Holyfuri wrote:I know from my rogue that there is a bug, where if you sap one of the mobs on the end of the big pack in between the gladiator packs when the sap breaks it will aggro one of the gladiator packs. Don't use the sap and it won't happen. What I do if I don't have any melee dps is run up into the big group and stand right in the middle, lol. If you have melee you have to pull them back because one of the mobs fears.

yeah I dont think its a bug its just you cant pull any from the back of that pack or it pulls the next ones. Thats why you have to pull from the front when he is left most he is the most forward.
ldeboer

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:05 am

ldeboer wrote:
thorn wrote:
ldeboer wrote:
Sparti wrote:Turn towards the hall you came in at, and walk backwards. Drop consecrate over and over again, and slowly move back until you're right before Blood Guard Porung and his archers. You'll get a LOT of adds. Don't worry about it. This entire fight is based on whether or not mobs get loose. If you move fast you're going to loose adds, and somebody's going to end up needing a battleres or a run back.

You can seriously do that ... this is heroic we are talking about?

My stats arent much diff to yours and if I get around 9 of these so called non elites at once they are really smashing my HP around ... they hit like trucks thats why they 1 or 2 hit most clothies.

if by "stats" you mean his health vs your health, yeah, i can see what you see, but you're not looking at the right stat. the easiest way to judge a guy's overall gear based on his sig is by looking at his AC, in my opinion... and then look at his dodge rating. the higher these two are (while having a respectable amount of health), the better. if he has high holy damage, too, that's even more proof. you can always double-check by looking up the person's name and guild on armory. (speaking of, bulwark of the ancient kings is okay, but it's mostly for ret paladins. get 2.3 badge chest, bro.)

anyways, that was off-topic. what i really wanted to say was yes, you can do what he said, because what he said to do is "lock-down" mode. that's what you do to maintain survivability and threat while your healer is slowly healing you until you get to the end of the hall.

my way was the ninja-method. heh. just run to the end and rely on your avoidance/bv until your healer can catch up. his way requires your healer to be healing you until you get to the end, and so ensures survivability. try it. walking backwards = survival, for tanks.

The question I ask is why backwards .. initially thought this was a joke?

I am assuming its because you are expecting the mobs to be running past you for healer and get picked up by consecrate and thus will turnback to you ... ?

Now as for my poor old bulwark on me I made 70 around mid jan and began tanking

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... highlight=

Funny looking back :)

I kind of retired my main mage because I had grown bored of it late feb and started tanking on pally as my preferred toon

So I have only been tanking heroics, kara 2 maybe 3 weeks and this week mag and gruul.

So havent had huge chances to get my Panza from nightbane :(
edit: its netherspite isnt it :)
I am sure him and maiden hate me they wont drop my plate.

What I have been able to do is patch together enuf gear with the help of some really helpful guys on this forum to do a half decent job be it with less than desirable gear.

I think thats where pro's like yourself can really be helpful ... prob more so than you all realize .

I know for one I would not ever have been able to get to content I am at the moment without this forum. .. to get to and down prince 2 weeks in a row from where I was 3 weeks ago is all due to advice off this forum.

for reference, PERTH AUSSIES FTW

ok

walking backwards is because you cannot parry or block from behind, and without those you're taking a ton more damage
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby sweeney » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:01 am

Ah, the #%#@$ing Glad Packs.

I was having a heck of a time with them till I learned the trick. If there's a mob with aggro (sap or sheep) in range of them when they reset, they come along with him.

Now, I target the pack, wait till it's just restarted its fight script, then LOS pull the mid-hall pat around the corner to Blood Guard Porung's room. If you need to CC you do it in there. As long you make sure nothing with aggro on your group is in LOS of a glad pack as it resets, it's cake.

For the next pack you do it in the middle of the hallway out of LOS of the gladiators, and then you're pretty much past those bastards.

(We have a great paladin MT healer who, well, doesn't really have the mindset or attention span for heroics. He's great in 25-mans, but taking him to SH or MgT on heroic lead to wipes followed by comments like "What's that Mortal Strike debuff do?" or "Are you supposed to dodge those orbs, or something?" That made learning to pull those packs kind of a chore.)
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Aerfalle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Say "be careful with aggro gains here"

Don't try to pull it all. Pull 1 group at a time, or 2 groups at a time (there are 4, maybe 5).

Walking backwards will help you take less damage = less healing = less healer aggro.

Save your taunt and HoJ for the healer.

Watch your consecrate CD and turn your camera to watch for new groups running in. Also, don't downrank consecrate. Be generous with it.
Aerfalle

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics