This good or bad build

Good
No votes
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 0

Rate my tank / hybrid build

Postby lmo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

Hey guys i am looking for a build that can be very anoying to kill in battlegrounds and be a off healer in battlegrounds but i still want to be a main tank in intances and mabey even raids. I was thinking of something like this build

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVxZV0tIx0dMgqzV0x

Personaly i dont really think reckoning is worth it once block / parry / doge all all up in the 20% im barly getting hit annyways i also donno about the lost perccision that might affect my tanking ability as well
so anny coments would be great thanx guys also i have a pole on good or bad build :)
lmo

Postby Nich » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:43 am

I'd probably consider a 20/41 build, but you'll be short of points for stoicism.

It kind of depends on what your tanking gear is like, and what gear you were planning to use for pvp - just battlegrounds, or arena?
Nich

build

Postby lmo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Nich wrote:I'd probably consider a 20/41 build, but you'll be short of points for stoicism.

It kind of depends on what your tanking gear is like, and what gear you were planning to use for pvp - just battlegrounds, or arena?

What do you mean what my tanking gear is like? like really good or what stats or something?? and i was thinking of going 20/41 but i donno if that would be good enought tank for horoics and im looking to do arena and battleground
lmo

Re: build

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:02 pm

lmo wrote:
Nich wrote:I'd probably consider a 20/41 build, but you'll be short of points for stoicism.

What do you mean what my tanking gear is like? like really good or what stats or something?? and i was thinking of going 20/41 but i donno if that would be good enought tank for horoics and im looking to do arena and battleground

I tank heroics, I'm 20/41/0.

I personally don't like the 10/41/0 spec. To me, Spiritual Focus is a great talent, but if your main focus is tanking, its not worth much, and if you aim to be a tank/heal hybrid, you want Healing Light for the boost to your heals.

If you're looking to do arena and battleground and still tank heroics, personally I'd spec 41/20/0 or 43/18/0 on arena days and spec 0/49/12 on heroic days, use your daily quest money to fund the constant respecs. Trying to hybridize for arena and tanking is rough without great gear for both specs and very careful thought.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Baelor wrote:
lmo wrote:

I tank heroics, I'm 20/41/0.

I personally don't like the 10/41/0 spec. To me, Spiritual Focus is a great talent, but if your main focus is tanking, its not worth much, and if you aim to be a tank/heal hybrid, you want Healing Light for the boost to your heals.

If you're looking to do arena and battleground and still tank heroics, personally I'd spec 41/20/0 or 43/18/0 on arena days and spec 0/49/12 on heroic days, use your daily quest money to fund the constant respecs. Trying to hybridize for arena and tanking is rough without great gear for both specs and very careful thought.

However if your aim is to simply get arena points and not be completely gimp while doing so, 9/41/11 works pretty well. Not having Healing Light sucks but it's not the end of the world. Getting pushback all day is.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

build

Postby lmo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

humm personaly im struggling for money so the constant respecing is out of question lol..... i was thinking of 20/41 more now but will that be sufficant for anny horoics i go into?? or will i just splat compard to 49/12

also is reckoning a lose?? or should i keep it how it was but switch the 10 in ret to 10 in holy?? and keep prot all the same or what??

or even mabey a 15/46/0 ??
lmo

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 pm

lmo wrote:humm personaly im struggling for money so the constant respecing is out of question lol..... i was thinking of 20/41 more now but will that be sufficant for anny horoics i go into?? or will i just splat compard to 49/12

also is reckoning a lose?? or should i keep it how it was but switch the 10 in ret to 10 in holy?? and keep prot all the same or what??

Reckoning vs 1H spec is a toss-up for most. Reckoning is good for AoE tanking since you've got multiple targets and therefore multiple chances to proc it. 1H spec is better for steady, dependable threat, no need to rely on a proc.

If you're debating 10/41/10 vs 20/41/0 vs 0/49/12 for tanking a heroic, consider what you're changing. 10/41/10 vs 20/41/0, the only thing you're missing as far as mitigative talents go is 5/5 Deflection. Do you think 5% parry is going to save your life in a heroic more often than not? If so, then yes you'd miss it. I tend to think that 5% parry, while nice, is not worth investing 10 points in the ret tree at the expense of my healing, hence why I go with 20/41/0.

To invoke the will of Cinaed from the public forums - try them out yourself, respec a few times, and decide what works best for you.

Daily quests are more than enough to support a penchant for respeccing if you don't respec everyday. Do like PsiVen does - respec for a few days to holy to heal arena, then go back to a tank spec, and do your dailies to cover the cost. That's 1 respec a week, 50g. 4-5 daily quests and that's covered.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby lmo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:32 am

Baelor wrote:
lmo wrote:humm personaly im struggling for money so the constant respecing is out of question lol..... i was thinking of 20/41 more now but will that be sufficant for anny horoics i go into?? or will i just splat compard to 49/12

Reckoning vs 1H spec is a toss-up for most. Reckoning is good for AoE tanking since you've got multiple targets and therefore multiple chances to proc it. 1H spec is better for steady, dependable threat, no need to rely on a proc.

If you're debating 10/41/10 vs 20/41/0 vs 0/49/12 for tanking a heroic, consider what you're changing. 10/41/10 vs 20/41/0, the only thing you're missing as far as mitigative talents go is 5/5 Deflection. Do you think 5% parry is going to save your life in a heroic more often than not? If so, then yes you'd miss it. I tend to think that 5% parry, while nice, is not worth investing 10 points in the ret tree at the expense of my healing, hence why I go with 20/41/0.

To invoke the will of Cinaed from the public forums - try them out yourself, respec a few times, and decide what works best for you.

Daily quests are more than enough to support a penchant for respeccing if you don't respec everyday. Do like PsiVen does - respec for a few days to holy to heal arena, then go back to a tank spec, and do your dailies to cover the cost. That's 1 respec a week, 50g. 4-5 daily quests and that's covered.

i tryed the 20/41/0 and it didnt work that well for tanking horoics i could only tank around 4 mobs max and in SH you need to be bale to take around 7 or 8 and i died way to quickly i might just go 0/49/12 and ither ret or holy for pvp you got anny outher sugestions?? on what build??
lmo

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZVhtIx0dggqzVbx
For PvE tanking

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVxuMxzhestxMthM
For PvP healing

That's how I would spec if I were dissatisfied with 20/41/0. I'm sure others have their own opinions.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby lmo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Baelor wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZVhtIx0dggqzVbx
For PvE tanking

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVxuMxzhestxMthM
For PvP healing

That's how I would spec if I were dissatisfied with 20/41/0. I'm sure others have their own opinions.

yea im going to do that thanx
lmo

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Also, I have no idea what quality of gear you're using. You can spec any way you like, but if you don't have the gear to support the role you're trying to pull off, no talent spec will save you. There's other factors too - your group. Even the best tank will fall in the face of imminent danger without a good healer behind him, and at least decent DPS'ers beside him.

20/41/0 vs 0/49/12 for tanking is, as I said, just trading 5% parry and some threat for the ability to heal decently. I venture to say that it was either your gear or your group that caused you to die, because I fail to see how 5% parry is going to be the make-or-break factor in a heroic.

A point of reference - I've tanked heroic Shattered Halls several times in my current spec with varying degrees of gear. You don't want to tank 7-8 at once, even if you can hold aggro. You want to CC several and tank the rest, and try to take the strain off the healer. To do heroic Shattered Halls without CC, you need raid tanking gear and an excellent healer, along with some competent DPS.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Return to Basic Training & Talents