Magisters' Terrace 2nd Boss Vexallus made easy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Magisters' Terrace 2nd Boss Vexallus made easy

Postby Dianora » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Apparently the bug that Blizzard isn't fixing anytime soon with FelRage in Bloodboil encounter can be use advantageously in fight against boss #2 Vexallus in Magisters' Terrace.

The Felrage bug goes like this, if you get the felrage buff/debuff, and you're standing under something that'll prevent you from growing to full height of the effect, the buff/debuff is canceled.

In the case of Vexallus, there are 2 candlestick just below the staircase to the boss. If you have range dps standing right under the candlestick, they cannot grow to the full height, thus the buff/debuff is canceled.

For someone who've run this instance 15 times (last time was 3 alts, 2 mains nightmare, we end up gearing the alt shaman healer with EVERY single piece of the drop), this is something interesting to considered to speed thing up a bit.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Invisusira » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Made easy? You just stand there and kill the boss until he dies.
Invisusira

Postby Sparti » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:35 pm

I've heard that exploit discussed before, and while the fight can be somewhat difficult, to be honest I've not had any problems with it on heroic. It seems to be pretty simple, kill enough of the orbs until consecrate kills them, then once you hit 5 or 6 debuffs you bubble. Bam, dead.

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Postby etherboy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Sparti wrote:I've heard that exploit discussed before, and while the fight can be somewhat difficult, to be honest I've not had any problems with it on heroic. It seems to be pretty simple, kill enough of the orbs until consecrate kills them, then once you hit 5 or 6 debuffs you bubble. Bam, dead.

Hmm I didn't think they were affected by consecrate... and they only have 1 hp...
Erugar - 80 Paladin - <Canadian Dogsled Team> - Korgath-US
Armory
etherboy

Postby Makaijin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 pm

etherboy wrote:
Sparti wrote:I've heard that exploit discussed before, and while the fight can be somewhat difficult, to be honest I've not had any problems with it on heroic. It seems to be pretty simple, kill enough of the orbs until consecrate kills them, then once you hit 5 or 6 debuffs you bubble. Bam, dead.

Hmm I didn't think they were affected by consecrate... and they only have 1 hp...

The orbs aren't affected by any sort of AoE damage, just like how totems aren't affected by them. Only way to deal with them is to directly target them.
Makaijin

Postby ldeboer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:40 pm

etherboy wrote:

The adds spawn with 1-200HP it seems random as does who they target initially.

But can we get confirmation of consecration on adds I did run last night in normal and I actually wanted the debuff (we had a grp that outgeared instance but needed attunement) and the flares seemed to run over it without dying but I was sure from earlier runs it killed them and hence hadnt been using it on this boss lately.

Edit: Just saw post above came in at same time ... aye this is getting weird
ldeboer

Postby sweeney » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 pm

I've noticed Pure Energy not dying to AOE damage, so I do believe that's how it works. On the runs where I wanted to get some of the debuffs I manually targeted them and swung.

I personally don't like cheesing the candelabras, but if you can't get him down otherwise it's worth considering.

Another tip I found useful: When he's doing his Overload effect before he dies, you can bubble up. (Any paladins can bubble, since when he is AOEing at the end he doesn't do anything else.) Having fewer people to heal helps, especially since if your healer's a pally (who have trouble with groupwide damage) you're both safe.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Garov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:45 pm

I'm not so sure about consecrate not affecting the sparks. I've stopped consecrating on this fight and notice I take a ton less damage because I'm not debuffed. Maybe consecrate isn't damaging them but is causing them to throw themselves on my holy shield/ret aura?
I don't really have the answer, but me not consecrating during this fight has made a noticeable difference for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with this boss. I absolutely hate killing him. But every group I've been in that wipes to him will cream the priestess fight without breaking a sweat.
Garov

Postby ldeboer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 am

Garov wrote:I'm not so sure about consecrate not affecting the sparks. I've stopped consecrating on this fight and notice I take a ton less damage because I'm not debuffed. Maybe consecrate isn't damaging them but is causing them to throw themselves on my holy shield/ret aura?
I don't really have the answer, but me not consecrating during this fight has made a noticeable difference for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with this boss. I absolutely hate killing him. But every group I've been in that wipes to him will cream the priestess fight without breaking a sweat.

Aye I have noticed the higher the dps group the more they die on this guy.

I think its because they have high dps they think they can just nuke everything and forget the adds come at 15% interval of vex's health and the faster you dps the faster the adds come. One group I went with had like 4 flares up and when the flares started aoeing and they all died. Me and healer were only ones left :)

I had the reverse a relatively low dps high cc group and they sailed thru this infact between 15% increments they were chatting organizing the two taking next two adds .. they all got equal buffs and we sailed thru the 20% to 0 with no deaths my only time I ever did this with no dps dying.
ldeboer

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:33 am

Hm, are you guys sure it doesn't work? Because sometimes they die, and I get the debuff, and I was actively judging the boss, attacking the boss, everything. The only thing I have that could hit them is consecration.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Dianora » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:51 am

ldeboer wrote:Aye I have noticed the higher the dps group the more they die on this guy.

I think its because they have high dps they think they can just nuke everything and forget the adds come at 15% interval of vex's health and the faster you dps the faster the adds come. One group I went with had like 4 flares up and when the flares started aoeing and they all died. Me and healer were only ones left :)

I had the reverse a relatively low dps high cc group and they sailed thru this infact between 15% increments they were chatting organizing the two taking next two adds .. they all got equal buffs and we sailed thru the 20% to 0 with no deaths my only time I ever did this with no dps dying.

Yeah, I actually use this cheesy method when I brought dps group that's too high. Just have one range dps killing the adds, and everyone else killing the boss.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Mortehl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:52 am

1) 100% Absolutely positively NO AOE EFFECTS THE ENERGY. Period. The end. Nada. Not TC, Not consecrate, not seed, not hellfire, nada. Tab target and kill.

2) The bug which cancels the debuff is the (ironically enough) anti-hack mechanism put in place forever and a day ago from some vanilla wow instances.

3) You can even tank him with yourself against any wall in the room, tab target the energies and kill them then have the same thing happen to you.

Now this DOES speed up the fight because the intended way to deal with this boss is to dps 15%, wait for the debuff to wear off, wash rinse and repeat. It lengthens a 30 second boss fight into a 3-4 minute fight.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 am

Mortehl wrote:1) 100% Absolutely positively NO AOE EFFECTS THE ENERGY. Period. The end. Nada. Not TC, Not consecrate, not seed, not hellfire, nada. Tab target and kill.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how I get the debuffs then. I don't target the energy, I don't judge the energy, I don't melee the energy. It's just vex. Yet, sometimes I still get the debuff.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mortehl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Mortehl wrote:1) 100% Absolutely positively NO AOE EFFECTS THE ENERGY. Period. The end. Nada. Not TC, Not consecrate, not seed, not hellfire, nada. Tab target and kill.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how I get the debuffs then. I don't target the energy, I don't judge the energy, I don't melee the energy. It's just vex. Yet, sometimes I still get the debuff.

I don't know what to tell you. I've confirmed it whichever way from Sunday. Maybe it was bugged for you at some point. Go there tonight and try to AOE. You'll see that I am right.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:24 am

I could reply exactly what I've done already and finish with "You'll see that I'm right" too, but that'd be destructive. I'm going to parse a combat log of that asshole of a boss. I'm getting that debuff every now and then and the only thing that could possibly hit them is consecration. I'm as certain that it works as you are that it doesn't.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics