Remove Advertisements

heeroic steam vaults best party makeup? pulls help?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

heeroic steam vaults best party makeup? pulls help?

Postby kensanity » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 pm

Myrmidantwon alliance frostwolf

Ok so I've been going crazy trying to get badges doing like 7 heroics a day. Anyway gear issues been making me aim for steam vaults to get cape and since I'm farmin badges I went for heroic.

Anyway party makeup was me tanking pally healing a lock a warriordps and a hunter.

The bog lorf guys hit hard but no big deal. However the four pulls before the first boss were nightmares. I worked on pulling the groups into the hallway south, to avoid fear issues but hunter trap kept breaking and I couldn't kcik multiple heals and fears. Idk. What is the best kill order for the naga caster groups and at my gear, should I be looking at bringing more cc for those pulls? I want to say hunter was at fault for just not reaaly knowing how to trap or that the pally healer just couldn't keep me up but idk. Maybe I pulled wrong? Idk I ran that instance in normal all the way to exalted for a back that never dropped so I'm sure I know how the pulls work. Just need some opinions on heroic difficulty and my gear. Keep in mind I've tanked heroic mgt, sethhekk, ramps, blood furnace, mana tombs and slabs with minimal difficulties (and mech and bot) but man I couldn't even get to the first boss with this party in steam vaults
kensanity

Postby Maihes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:40 am

The trash before first boss actually is some of the tougher pulls for most groups I have done in heroic SV, take it slow, its not that hard of an instance to do effeciently. For the fear pulls just before boss, pull into hall way on way to rest of the instance, healer can stand at range to not get silenced / feared etc.
Maihes

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:40 am

The double caster pulls before the first boss are the worst to handle in the instance. Ifyou don't pay attention, you aggro 2. if you don't pull properly, you aggro another 2. If you don't cc, you risk aggroing another pack. I try to avoid doing that without at least one cc for the sirens(fearers). T

This place makes me happy i'm a Blood Elf. I can break their CC and interrupt them immediately, and right after that again.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Aeverius » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:The double caster pulls before the first boss are the worst to handle in the instance. Ifyou don't pay attention, you aggro 2. if you don't pull properly, you aggro another 2. If you don't cc, you risk aggroing another pack. I try to avoid doing that without at least one cc for the sirens(fearers).

Please note that tremor totem is absolute win on this. I always have at least one shaman in the group, sometimes two, and tremor totem + relatively new fear mechanics (ie, mobs don't temporarily aggro drop from feared tanks) makes it basically cake. I always pull them all the way to the bottom of the bridge (as you head to the 2nd boss) and hide just inside the entrance. (I'll pull a pack halfway across an instance to get a smooth LoS pull.) I also lead off with a stun on whatever caster is going to die first (Sirens, generally).

Most of that is standard data, and of course you may not have a shaman available, but the more I run with them the more I love them.

"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Aeverius

Postby Cearn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 am

i have been using a rather time consuming but safe tactic with a slightly undergeared group some time ago. start off with boss two (just go straight for the second boss) and move through the water twoards the first boss. pulling from there was hell a lot safer.
Cearn

Postby Pizbit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 am

'best' group:

Mage
Warlock
Hunter
Shaman/Priest healer

2 CC, a fear breaker(or avoider), in fact the fear can be cleansed can't it? been a while, if so a pally on the ball works.
Warlock trivalises the first boss, and second... :)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Cearn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:51 am

Pizbit wrote:[...]Warlock trivalises the first boss, and second... :)

being a paladin-tank actually trivializes the second boss...
Cearn

Postby Pizbit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:12 am

Cearn wrote:

You make it sound like it's mutually exclusive, it's not. SoC is the best AoE around.
Pizbit

Postby Cearn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 am

Pizbit wrote:
Cearn wrote:

You make it sound like it's mutually exclusive, it's not. SoC is the best AoE around.

like you actually need AoE to kill a dozen of non-elites? oO
being able to aoe them down faster doesn't trivialize the fight further than it is trivialized with a paladin tanking anyways - that's what I meant to say.
That's a gain of ~10 seconds after the boss dropped anyways. maximum.
Cearn

Postby Pizbit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 am

Cearn wrote:
Pizbit wrote:
Cearn wrote:

being able to aoe them down faster doesn't trivialize the fight further than it is trivialized with a paladin tanking anyways - that's what I meant to say.

Someone focusing on the boss and tossing in an AoE without running around or changing targets is always faster than someone who is, further more it's not so much you need AoE to kill them, as how SoC will interupt their channeling more so than singly targeted.
Yes you can kite the boss with consecrate etc but personally I prefer to afk, er, I mean... Just easier.
Pizbit

Postby Cearn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:28 am

Pizbit wrote:
Cearn wrote:
Pizbit wrote:
Cearn wrote:

Someone focusing on the boss and tossing in an AoE without running around or changing targets is always faster than someone who is, further more it's not so much you need AoE to kill them, as how SoC will interupt their channeling more so than singly targeted.
Yes you can kite the boss with consecrate etc but personally I prefer to afk, er, I mean... Just easier.

why kite? I simply interrupt channeling with Consc and thats it.
I don't get it...
Cearn

Postby Pizbit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 am

Cearn wrote:why kite? I simply interrupt channeling with Consc and thats it.
I don't get it...

Because the adds are spread out at a small distance around the boss and thefore don't all get hit by consecrate?
Pizbit

Postby Ariashley » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 am

I've never wiped in that instance when I have cleared fully to the first boss, unless someone in the group stood in a really bad spot and got feared (which I think has only happened once). The only time those pulls are really ugly is if you are bypassing most of the trash. Since, most of the time, the majority of the group is after rep, I usually just clear it.

When you clear going around to the left, you can LoS the casters behind the rock formations to the left that you clear Bog Lords from. I prefer to have a mage for SV every time. Shaman (for tremor totem) is nice. If I don't have a mage, I like a rogue who I assign to sap the oracle and then to kick the 2nd caster that fears (name slipping my mind right now). I can usually interrupt the first one enough with Arcane Torrent and HoJ and a combat rogue can hit both casters at once.

In my opinion, either an underskilled group or an unfamiliar group will have a much easier time with this technique, since you can create a lot more room for error. It does take longer than if you have a group that doesn't fail and CAN ninja. In my experience, 50% of groups of incapable of not wiping on the ninja. It always seems very difficult to LoS those casters into that hallway. They like to camp the entrance and then ppl inevitably get feared into another group - instawipe.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Sparti » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Paladin (you, dork)
Shaman/Priest healer
3 warm bodies

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Postby Cearn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 am

Pizbit wrote:
Cearn wrote:why kite? I simply interrupt channeling with Consc and thats it.
I don't get it...

Because the adds are spread out at a small distance around the boss and thefore don't all get hit by consecrate?

that never happened to me oO
Cearn

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics