Remove Advertisements

Spell damage for BT

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Spell damage for BT

Postby Baconator » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:26 am

Hey all sorry I couldnt find the post elsewhere as I am sure it is out there. I am currently tanking in BT and as we clear towards Council and my gear starts to catch up I am being considered for more main tankish roles on some fights. My question is with DPS geared with items up to Mother what kind of spell damage should I have?

Also I was wondering if most of you tank with a flask of blinding light or a flask of fortification.I am currently running mostly blinding light.. but I am using a contium blade in BT right now so that should show how crazy mt luck has been. Anyway look forward to hearing from you. BTW I got recruited from this site! GOGO maintankadin!
Baconator

Postby Stroja » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 am

It depends on the situation, really.

I generally use elixirs for Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, because they're pretty much nose-picking fights. I generally only pop a single healing elixir on Naj, a fort for Supremus and Akama (I might pop a greater arcane or adept's for Akama), and I do Gorefiend on whatever was left after Akama. If we have a wipe and I'm doing my usual cleansebotting in DPS gear for Gorefiend, I use whatever elixir was the cheapest to acquire to pass the "ur not buffed!" check.

For Gurtogg and Reliquary I generally need more threat, so I pop a Blinding Light. I use Fort flask on Mother through Illidan.

/edit:
I am currently running mostly blinding light.. but I am using a contium blade in BT right now so that should show how crazy mt luck has been.

O.o

I don't mean to be blunt, but if it were my BT raid, I'd be saying "Farm up an S1 Gavel or GFTO".
Stroja

Postby Kaisendou » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:30 am

I tank in BT just fine with around 450 spell damage buffed.

For a few trash pulls I'll equip the spell damage shield out of BT and the spell damage trinket out of Heroic MgT and bump myself up to around 510.

Havent had any noticable threat issues.
Kaisendou

Postby Lakirby » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Stroja wrote:I don't mean to be blunt, but if it were my BT raid, I'd be saying "Farm up an S1 Gavel or GFTO".

Same here - I wasn't comfortable using my Continuum Blade starting in SSC, so I farmed my gavel then. I couldn't imagine still using it in BT.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:18 pm

When we got to Kael and i still had Continuum blade, i was feeling bad having still a blue weapon, and i went AoEing Shattered Halls until i got Exhalted and got the Stormcaller.

S1 wasn't available with honor yet and i cba Arena, and most of all, i needed it "now", not in X weeks :)

On topic, i usually tanked BT with 240-300 spelldamage unbuffed (except for RoS where i used spelldam trinket and 600+ spelldam unbuffed in our learning attempts), but now that DPS are starting to pull out proper numbers (2000+ DPS), i've basically been forced to get to 540 spelldam unbuffed.

Until you outgear, anywhere near 300 unbuffed is fine. You can Exorcism basically everything here so...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:53 am

Cudgel of Consecration from heroic Magister's Terrace is also an easy option if you feel like trying your luck there.

As for me, I run at maybe 450 spell damage in BT, using flask of blinding light for Gurtogg and (once we get to phase 3) Reliquary. That's enough to keep things on me as long as everyone waits at least 0.00034 seconds after we engage to open up. (Sadly, this isn't always the case with our extremely trigger happy dps. We even had someone start AoE before the tank actually pulled once!)

And don't even get me started on Hyjal, where 800+ spell damage to consecrate isn't enough to save our destro locks...
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 am

Tiandelin wrote:And don't even get me started on Hyjal, where 800+ spell damage to consecrate isn't enough to save our destro locks...
yes *grumble*
YoYoMa

Postby Lakirby » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:04 am

Just for the record - pretty much every tanking gear setup I have has over 400 unbuffed spelldmg. $deity bless T6 gloves.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Aleytys » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:06 am

Yeah, I use 500 - 600 spelldamage on BT trash, as anything less and about half of my DPS will pull off me if they aren't paying close attention. We have a fairly strong DPS group. :D
Aleytys

Postby inthedrops » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 am

Aleytys wrote:Yeah, I use 500 - 600 spelldamage on BT trash, as anything less and about half of my DPS will pull off me if they aren't paying close attention. We have a fairly strong DPS group. :D

I'm new to BT (killed first 3 bosses though) but the dps in my guild puts out the heat. I sit around 600 spell damage and the locks will typically end up pulling something out of the pile for each pull.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:41 am

FWIW, my gear ranges from a minimum of 410 buffed (full stam gear/mitigation gear) up to about 710 buffed (crazy RoS threat gear with Flask of Blinding Light).

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:53 pm

I run a bit more than Dorvan, because my DPS outgears me some. 700-ish, buffed, for Mount Hyjal 500-600 for BT. I use blinding light, wizard oil, spell-damage food for 90% of the content we do, because the default MT is the tauren warrior with 4/8 T-6 to my 1/8.

To hit these numbers I run two sets, one for threat, one for EH.

EG:
• My Praetorian's have Nethercleft and triple +15 stam gems, my badge legs (and T-5 legs) both have Runic Spellthread.
• Seeker's wristguards have +spelldamage, eternium shell bracers have +stam.

For fights where even this isn't enough threat (Gurtog) I get myself stuck in a caster group and ask for Wrath of Air.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby wri7913 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:31 am

Tiandelin wrote:We even had someone start AoE before the tank actually pulled once!)

At that point I would actually let that DPS eat what they just pulled. If I tell them to lay off DPS till threat is established, that person might get prissy about it. I'd rather them learn first-hand not to DPS *before* tank has established threat.

But really, If they haven't learn this simple aspect by now, they shouldn't even be raiding IMHO.

~Ghaazi
wri7913

Postby enbee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 am

Knaughty wrote:For fights where even this isn't enough threat (Gurtog) I get myself stuck in a caster group and ask for Wrath of Air.

You don't need excessive amounts of spelldamage for gurtogg, the tank who goes first isn't supposed to go all out, use the first p1 to get a rotation set up!
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Afraithe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:11 am

I dunno if any of you have played Destro a Warlock at some decent level, but a lock pulling aggro from you isn't something you should measure your success by, if the warlock gets a crit on the first shadow bolt and another 8k crit on the second, he will be screwed. As for AoE, not much of a problem against any class in my opinion, only time they manage to get aggro is when some mobs come into AoE late and their seeds go off on them. The spider mobs in MH is a good example of that, they stop before they reach you to cast some stuff, then walk into the AoE.
Afraithe

Next

Return to Black Temple