Remove Advertisements

Leothras The Blind Spell Damage Question

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Leothras The Blind Spell Damage Question

Postby Ivliss » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:03 am

Ok our guild tried this mob for the first time, last night. We got him down to 38% on our second attempt and called it due to time and respawns. I was tanking him during the night elf phase and had a couple of questions.

First getting inital agro on him, was no problem, got him on me and kept him there until the whirlwind. When the whirlwind stopped we had some issues, I would hit him with Avenging shield and JoR on him and still couldnt get him to stay on me. I know some of this is probably over zealous DPS. The real question is my spell damage high enough for the job. Currenly raid buffed I am at +305 spell damage. I have a concern that my spell damage is behind were it needs to be for holding agro.

Beyond that is there anything you can suggest for handling this boss?
Ivliss/ 70 Prot Pally/ Baelgun
Ivliss

Postby Gracerath » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Overzealous DPS. Period. Its nice to have more for demon phase so you can kill your inner demon easier if you get it but I'd say 305 is fine. Perhaps a bit low but it is NOT what is causing your raid problems. Its your dpsers. If Frisbee and JoR aren't enough threat to get aggro after an aggro wipe ... well, its easy to see where the problem lies ;)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:09 pm

You have double of my spelldamage on our first kill.

He's actually a Blood Elf not a Night elf tho :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pensz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:44 am

I have around the same spell damage as you, though I ate some food to take me up +20 and I had no aggro issues whatsoever on our first kill of Leo last night. It's all about timing your shields and judgements. Saving Avenging Wrath for his first switch from demon to BE really helps keep your raid alive for an extra round of demon hunter killing! Also, your healers might be topping people off too heavily so have them watch their aggro after the WW's.
Pensz

Re: Leothras The Blind Spell Damage Question

Postby Vic » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:56 am

Ivliss wrote:First getting inital agro on him, was no problem, got him on me and kept him there until the whirlwind. When the whirlwind stopped we had some issues, I would hit him with Avenging shield and JoR on him and still couldnt get him to stay on me. I know some of this is probably over zealous DPS. The real question is my spell damage high enough for the job. Currenly raid buffed I am at +305 spell damage. I have a concern that my spell damage is behind were it needs to be for holding agro.

i always thought you would want to to end the dots before he finishes whirlwind, AS is usually all i need to pick him up and with the gear i have when tanking him i have a little under 200 spell dmg. Then i get very unlucky sometimes and AS misses (and that's when i hear 'lawl' on vent . .. ) but a single judgement pulls him to me. I Have no problems assuming everyone knows to not dps until i pick him up. I sounds to me that your raid group's dps is going to hard during the elf stages, i always believed you would want to go balls to the wall dps during demon phase.
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Postby Agravaine » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:36 am

Searing Totems

I couldn't believe how crazy Leo is for Searing Totems.
Agravaine

Postby Regis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:44 am

Agravaine wrote:Searing Totems

Yes there seem to be nothing he hates more than Searing Totems. 90% of the time when he gets out of WW phase he will run and kill a totem :roll:
Regis

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:06 pm

I have the slight feeling the other tanks are much superior to me >.> I didn't get his aggro a single time after each drop, he'd, at best, look at me, then go to the warriors, i'm at 410~ buffed spell damage. My only value in the fight was soaking a demon every phase instead of a healer.
Is there anything special to grab his attention? I tried to time my shields for half a second before whirlwind was over.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 pm

I will never, ever, ever do this fight without a druid healing, ever again.

I run with ~550 spell damage raid buffed in Leo gear (he hits like a pansy), maybe a touch more if I'm feeling frisky and switch in the +dmg shield. I tank the first channeler add, then pick him up out of banish with no trouble. I do try to keep a vengeance stack on him, so post whirldwind I time a shield, judge (Vengeance or Rigteousness, depending on if the stack's up or not), and HoW if he's <20%. I tend to snag him about 80% of the time, with our other tanks picking him up the rest of the time.

Out of demon phase is even easier: lay down a consecrate, and judge him in the face right as he switches.
Dazhbog

Postby Invisusira » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Invisusira

Postby NarfJones » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:46 pm

Was most likely DOTs.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Invisusira wrote:

LMAO.

Tell your DPS to L2P. No DPS until you have aggro. Period.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Azulito » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40 am

or you can do what i do now, and idiot proof the encounter.

first time we downed him i had like 400 spell dmg buffed, in my "maintanking" avoidance/hp gear.

NOW, i tank him with about 750 or so holy spell dmg (flask of blinding light, wiz oil, ele shammy, spell dmg food, more spell dmg gear {trinkets rock}.

we still use the searing totem trick, but it helps when i frisbee his ass for like 2k and judge for like 1500.... to offset the elemental shammies that just got like 4 Clearcasting procs and wouldn't say no. dot's are not really a problem from my experience, since they are steady dmg that doesn't spike in threat, at least not more than what you are hitting him for.
Azulito

Postby Joonho » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Make sure righteous fury is up. :D

I made that mistake more than once...
Joonho

Postby Eizen » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am

Heya, do you guys think it's possible for me to tank him with my current gear?

http://armorylite.com/us/gnomeregan/Eizen

We have tried him like 2 times but it's a little messy.
Eizen

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern