Remove Advertisements

Net neutrality.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Net neutrality.

Postby Gash » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:39 am

Didnt know where to post this so posted it here. Thoughts on net neutrality and virgin media's plans.
Prot Pally Aman'Thul
Gash

Postby Beltaine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:12 am

Other than Neil Berkett being an idiot, the root of this "crisis" is that the BBC has released a service allowing people to stream content from BBC to their Televisions through a set-top box called an iplayer.

Obviously, people adopting a streaming appliance en masse is going to have an effect on bandwidth for any ISP. People also want their shiny new streaming media box to work without a hitch.

All Virgin intended to do was up the throughput for BBC's iplayers (or any future similar company's media) by charging BBC for the extra bandwidth.

Now, if you had customers depending on a product of yours they subscribed to working flawlessly, wouldn't you be willing to pay for extra bandwidth?

Wait? Pay more money for extra bandwidth? We already do that now, people...

So again, other than Mr. Berkett making an ass out of himself, there's nothing here out of the ordinary.
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Barathorn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 am

Think this is already being covered in this thread,

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... php?t=8211

Some good points in there already so it would be funky badger if we could keep it in 1 thread :)

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Skwigelf » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 am

I'm neither here, nor there on the subject.
Skwigelf

Return to Arkham Asylum