My guild wants me to heal and tank trash

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

My guild wants me to heal and tank trash

Postby Byzant » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am

So they have proposed this build for me http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVgh0xZVhthx0dMgqz
I asked a palatank friend of mine in a high ranking guild and his response was "lol"...

My healing gear doesnt have alot of crit so I guess Illumination wouldnt be very good. Do you have any thoughts on what I should do. We are currently going into SSC and TK. Gearwise im uncrushable and I have about 18k hp raidbuffed.
Byzant

Postby Kitria » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 am

A plain and simple truth is, if you're gonna MT stuff you can't really spare the points anywhere to put into holy. But here's a build our pally class leader tried for a little while to tank trash and still be decent healing:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxhbg0hxZVMtIxczM0o

He lacked some really good talents on both sides. He lost about 300hp per heal and he couldn't tank much more than trash, though he did tank his part on VR once. All-in-all he said it was an okay build but he went back to holy after a week or two.
Kitria

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:15 am

For me, +10% stamina > Ardent Defender
So I'd take http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxhbxZV0tIx0zrgot

2/5 Reck > 2/2 Spell Warding
2/2 ILoH > 2/5 ISoR (matter of taste of course)

Speccing 20/41/0 for the guild is rough though. Kicking ass only half-ass never did sit well with me.
ryan4nayr

Postby Draaven » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:25 am

Typically when I'm healing for a boss fight, I tend to be the one who is "Focused" on the MT. We're *not bad* for things along those lines, but if they expect you to be anything more than a walking HoT then they're fooling themselves.

Not only that, but Tankadin Healing gear is a little different than Holy healing gear. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on these forums that goes into more detail.

You're either Prot and half of a healer, or Holy and half of a tank.
Draaven

Postby Ciandin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 am

Check out this thread on the Baelor Special. He championed this build before our big buff in 2.3, before spec'ing ret and forever abandoning us for a brighter future with Cromfel.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Baelor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Ciandin wrote:Check out this thread on the Baelor Special. He championed this build before our big buff in 2.3, before spec'ing ret and forever abandoning us for a brighter future with Cromfel.

Abandoning forever? I'll have you know I spec prot about once a month to tank random Kara/ZA runs or fill in as an emergency raid tank. And I don't hang out on Cromfel's forum at all, I've posted maybe 10 times there, if that. I just prefer retribution nowadays - I caught the glowy hands bug again, I was ret pre-BC at 60. Plus I don't ever get swapped out of raids for group optimization purposes, it's all healer/tank swapping, almost never the ret paladin :) I'm essential! (... or is it because the guild leader elemental shaman is addicted to perma-Judgment of Wisdom...)

I can't link it because of web filtering at work, but check out the build dubbed the current "Baelor Special" in the Popular Tankadin Specs thread in this forum section. 15/46/0 or 13/48/0 is what I would go with for a tank/heal hybrid nowadays, while stealing shaman heal gear and pure heal/mana5 pieces for my heal set, completely ignoring crit. The spec is pretty customizable, but the framework is the "core" protection tree talents as described by kalbear here and the following 13 holy talents:
5/5 Divine Intellect
5/5 Spiritual Focus or Imp. SoR
3/3 Healing Light

Happy hybriding :)
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Aleriya » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 pm

My guild has a 13/48/0 paladin who MTs quite often, and he does a good job :) Losing the 5% parry hurts, but it's possible to tank without it. And he heals just fine too.

Losing Illumination really isn't a big deal, especially if you stack +heal and mana/5.
Aleriya

Postby Byzant » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm

I Put the new build (with illumination) to the test today in ZA, went pretty well im 4 % under uncrushable now but I survived the lynx and bear! Healed on Zuljin and after tanking the hexlord adds... no major issues.... manapots + alchemists stone kept me up most of the time. And I got a new tanking weap from Zuljin <3
Byzant

Postby Baelor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Byzant wrote:I Put the new build (with illumination) to the test today in ZA, went pretty well im 4 % under uncrushable now but I survived the lynx and bear! Healed on Zuljin and after tanking the hexlord adds... no major issues.... manapots + alchemists stone kept me up most of the time. And I got a new tanking weap from Zuljin <3

Just an FYI, pretty sure neither of those bosses (Halazzi and Nalorakk) can crush.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Byzant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:00 am

Baelor wrote:
Byzant wrote:I Put the new build (with illumination) to the test today in ZA, went pretty well im 4 % under uncrushable now but I survived the lynx and bear! Healed on Zuljin and after tanking the hexlord adds... no major issues.... manapots + alchemists stone kept me up most of the time. And I got a new tanking weap from Zuljin <3

Just an FYI, pretty sure neither of those bosses (Halazzi and Nalorakk) can crush.

Mmm, they can't. Still, their attacks feel crushing... atleast to my frail pala ego :(
Byzant

Postby sweeney » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 am

The real issue the OP is going to have to address is whether or not the guild's going to actually use them as a tank and how that matches their own goals.

There's no shame in being "Healer and AOE trash CC" but if you're wanting to be an honest-to-god tank it may not be the role you want.

I'll be perfectly honest, I get stuck healing a lot in 25 mans (surprise surprise, healers are hard to replace), but I do it with 0 Holy and don't really miss the talents at all. I followed the guide and focused on mp5 (I'm addicted to 9heal/2mp5 gems) and it's worked out fine for me. I'm never high on the healing charts but my assigned targets stay alive so job well done.

The breakpoints for what you'd actually have use for in Holy are Illumination and Light's Grace. I tried 13 holy a little bit and it's a pretty marginal improvement.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Draaven » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Last I checked, Kael drops some good Tankadin Healing boots in MT Heroic. Ilevel 125 boots with +Healing, +MP5 and 2 yellow sockets. :)
Draaven

Postby Shalindreal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Yeah, i had a holy paladin in my guild recommend doing this because he doesn't know dick about tanking. Basically i broke it down for him like this, I can either stay the way i am and be at my best for the trash and w/e else i'm asked to tank, or i can gimp myself for my primary role as a tank just so i can be a gimped ass healer as well.

Of course he got his little panties in a bunch because unlike him i don't smoke the pole of the most geared prot paly on the server. The guy is good but bottom line is there is more than 1 day to do things, and I prefer to do things my way as long as it works.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Shál]Image[/url]
Shalindreal

Postby Cearn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:46 am

Get illumintation or don't bother with the holy tree at all.
If you do, get crit gear.
If you don't, get mp5 gear.
Neither DI, nor Loling Focus buff your healing capabilities in any way to justify the points. Healing Light does buff you seriously, but you can just as well do without it.
Cearn

Postby Byzant » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 am

Atm im gonna drop the holy tree, my healing gear is mostly mp5.... Anyway, whats up with this pre-tbc palatank attitude that many guilds have, looks like I have to ninjatank myself a boss o_o to get their attention. Cba being stuck tanking morogrim's murlocs for the rest of my life.
Byzant

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents