Remove Advertisements

Not enough Spelldamage?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Failed-Stormscale » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I like to keep 250-300 spell damage, don't worry though the hunter must have been a noob because seriously? does he not know how to use feign death? its quite easy as a hunter to pull aggro if u forget FD, i played one pre-bc.

Kilrek is a different story, i've tanked him and because he dies quickly then rez's with new aggro "table" its quite hard to pick it back up. especially since we have mana and illhoof is quite a long fight, even when i was tanking illhoof/kilrek a DRUID pulled aggro on kilrek, we didn't wipe though.
Failed-Stormscale

Postby Verb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Failed-Stormscale wrote:I like to keep 250-300 spell damage, don't worry though the hunter must have been a noob because seriously? does he not know how to use feign death? its quite easy as a hunter to pull aggro if u forget FD, i played one pre-bc.

Kilrek is a different story, i've tanked him and because he dies quickly then rez's with new aggro "table" its quite hard to pick it back up. especially since we have mana and illhoof is quite a long fight, even when i was tanking illhoof/kilrek a DRUID pulled aggro on kilrek, we didn't wipe though.

I got up to 310ish now, and we've all got a version of Omen that works, I don't think I'll have another problem like this.

Now to reread the "omg what to buy with badges?" threads and lament still not owning righteous shoulders or higher.
Verb

Postby thorn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:32 pm

Verb wrote:Now to work on the blasted shoulder slots :(

Verb wrote:Now to reread the "omg what to buy with badges?" threads and lament still not owning righteous shoulders or higher.

go get the s1 lamellar shoulders until the netherspite ones drop for you, imo.

however, in your case it might be worth it to go back and farm for the d3 righteous ones because they will net you the two-piece set bonus: 15% less mana cost per consecration. mmmm. still wish i had that. ;-/
thorn
Maintankadonor

Re: Not enough Spelldamage?

Postby Verb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Verb wrote:I've been reading this site religiously. After healbotting since TBC, I really want to tank. I picked up some kara gear from PUGs when I was still holy, but I'm still not where I want to be in karazhan!

5-6 of my RL friends and I started our kara this past reset. Myself and a Feral were the tanks, and I let him MT since I was scared about wiping the raid. (probably a fear leftover from when raids were 40 people). OT as a paladin sucks, don't do it.

When we finally get to a boss I can tank (Curator, I swapped gear to heal on Maiden and Big Bad Wolf), I find that I'm losing aggro to a hunter, somehow? We were operating under the assumption that 2nd on threat = hateful bolt, but how'd he pull aggro?

We downed Curator by (shock) letting the druid tank, and I healed, again.

Illhoof was the last boss we tried of the night. We wiped when I was on kil'rek and the imps with the druid on illhoof. Second try I tanked everything. It was going super smooth I think, but somehow I lost aggro AGAIN, to a mage this time!

What the heck, do I just not have enough +spell damage for this? I was rolling with a wizard oil and this:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... rak&n=Verb

I'm 10k from the glad gavel, and i'll get the s2 glad shield (yay situational armor) on tuesday.

What was I doing wrong? I pulled with an AW and my shield, kept conc and holy shield up, I was even chain judging righteousness.

*sigh* I'm downtrodden on this, and I can't see what I was doing wrong.

I searched for 10-15 before posting, so I don't *think* there's any other threads like this...

Thanks for your time,
-Verb

Did kara with the same group again tonight. The problem was fixed by more spelldamage. Of course now I find myself running OOM on trash :/ Maybe I'll tell the OT to piss off.
Verb

Re: Not enough Spelldamage?

Postby ldeboer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:34 am

Verb wrote:Did kara with the same group again tonight. The problem was fixed by more spelldamage. Of course now I find myself running OOM on trash :/ Maybe I'll tell the OT to piss off.

Nice work.

Yeah join the club with all prot pally's mana pool being so small.

I followed a suggestion by guillex and a few others on a sort of related topic and reduce my dodge and block on the trash pulls deliberately to force the healers to have to heal me. I usually swap one or both trinkets off for +stam ones so I have higher HP but much less avoidance.

I think the other prob you get if you dont take significant damage the dam healers use HOT's as well and alot of those don't convert to mana.
ldeboer

Postby Lalecize » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Even though your issues been fixed - remember one other thing - Exorcism.

Exorcism single handedly gives us the highest threat of all tanks in kara (minus curator ofc) so spam that on undead/demon mobs.

For illhoof, tank him and killrek in the green circle. This ensures your melee isnt too far away from the demon chains.

You can exorcism kilrek as soon as he's up which should easily pull him onto you.

We personally ignore Kilrek and let him die from consecration/seed of corruption/aoe.

Remember you can Arcane torrent to make all the imps melee you. I generally get any blood elves in the raid to take turns doing this.

As for curator I personally start as follows:

SoR > AS > JoR > Consecrate > SotC > Consecrate > JotC > SOR/Cons spam.

I usually get a good threat lead, then swap out to JoW on the boss. I pop JoTC on him just before the evocate, pop my wings, and have a SoR, and Consecrate waiting for him. Your threat will fly during consecrate, and level off when you Judge Wisdom and sit there regenning mana while the dps takes the ads.

I also don't consecrate very often at all during non evocates, instead i build up my mana to use during them.

It gets easier the more you do it, we now get him down during the second evocate, so its over before I really think about it.
Lalecize

Postby Verb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Lalecize wrote:Even though your issues been fixed - remember one other thing - Exorcism.

Exorcism single handedly gives us the highest threat of all tanks in kara (minus curator ofc) so spam that on undead/demon mobs.

For illhoof, tank him and killrek in the green circle. This ensures your melee isnt too far away from the demon chains.

You can exorcism kilrek as soon as he's up which should easily pull him onto you.

We personally ignore Kilrek and let him die from consecration/seed of corruption/aoe.

Remember you can Arcane torrent to make all the imps melee you. I generally get any blood elves in the raid to take turns doing this.

As for curator I personally start as follows:

SoR > AS > JoR > Consecrate > SotC > Consecrate > JotC > SOR/Cons spam.

I usually get a good threat lead, then swap out to JoW on the boss. I pop JoTC on him just before the evocate, pop my wings, and have a SoR, and Consecrate waiting for him. Your threat will fly during consecrate, and level off when you Judge Wisdom and sit there regenning mana while the dps takes the ads.

I also don't consecrate very often at all during non evocates, instead i build up my mana to use during them.

It gets easier the more you do it, we now get him down during the second evocate, so its over before I really think about it.
Took your advice, one or two shotted everything but Prince and the dragons (we didn't try the dragons)

Thanks!
Verb

Postby Ariashley » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:11 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:I do weekly badgazan races of 2~ hours, and our dps can kill the flares in about 5 seconds...dpsing curator for the other 5 when finally a flare spawns.

All kinds of things have been buggy in kara lately. Fastest we've ever run through (aka Nukazhan) with all mains is 1:54 with one tank one healer. I can't say that I've noticed the flare intervals specifically, though. I agree they are supposed to be timed a certain way, but we never actually pay attention to when they actually roll out. When we do the fast runs, Curator never gets to evocate, since he dies before it.

I'll take a glance next time I'm in there.

Does the warrior tank not have trouble keeping threat off the hunter? To take the hateful strikes, the hunter doesn't need to continuously shoot Curator. He can spend some time shooting the adds if he's getting close to you on threat. He just needs to use half his brain.

There are so many fights where what will wipe a group is a DPS finding the dmg meter more important than the threat meter and, in many cases, it isn't the tank's fault. It's how the fight was designed. Void Reaver, Gruul, and Gurtogg Bloodboil come to mind as prime examples of this. Multiple tanks, DPS can't pass any of them. Nothing they can do that will not threat cap us. The primary focus of the fight is staying just below that OT on threat, doing as much DPS as possible without passing.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Previous

Return to Karazhan