Remove Advertisements

Bubbling through Pyro

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Bubbling through Pyro

Postby submerged » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:22 am

During my last MgT run I had a chance to test out bubbling through Kael's pyroblast. The only problem I had with it was once I bubbled, he switched targets and wtfpwned the warlock who was second on threat. I was wondering how people bubble through these on the 25 man Kael fight. Do you have to bubble RIGHT as he's about to throw the pyroblast, or in the 25 man does he not switch targets after starting his pyroblast cast?

It might have been a latency issue with me yesterday, since I wasn't on my normal connection I may have bubbled a bit too early. It just seems like it's a bit risky if you don't have good timing, would you have to back off a bit to give yourself more time to bubble through the pyroblast?
submerged

Postby Khayne » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:13 pm

it´s a long cast time, i cast bubble right after he´s over halfway in it and he´s never shot anyone else with the pyro (once i died since i accidentally double-clicked my bubble button which dropped my bubble :oops: )

Just drop the bubble after pyro, dont matter if he gets 1 fireball off to some dps. it´s some 4-5k, even squishy mages (that could actually iceblock it) survive one of those.
Khayne

Postby cordelia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 pm

wrong forum. wrong pyro. lolz. and yes, bubble during his cast, not before.
cordelia

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Moved to 5man forum.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arianne » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm

You need to make sure that whoever you have interrupting knows to interrupt after the pyro casts. He'll immediately start casting a fireball before you have time to drop shield after the pyroblast and that fireball can kill someone (especially low health priest healers).
Arianne

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:32 pm

I had the same experience as the OP the one time I tried to bubble through it. I bubbled while he was casting the spell, and when he cast the spell, one of our mages instantly died. The mage checked his combat log and it was definitely the pyroblast that killed him.

I've heard of some pallies immediately running away from him when he begins casting and then bubbling after the pyro has been cast but before it hits them. This seems a bit risky to me when you factor in latency, but I'm planning to try it the next time I do Kael with a group lacking serious dps.

Incidentally, in my groups he usually casts pyro just a few seconds before hitting 50%, at which point a tank is not necessary anyways. Having a warlock cast Curse of Doom right as the fight starts is a great way to get the shield down easily, since he begins casting pyro right at the one-minute mark.
Lookit

Postby GothicPL » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Khayne wrote:(once i died since i accidentally double-clicked my bubble button which dropped my bubble :oops: )

I have a confession to make as well. I failed to bubble out of Pyro once as well, because my bubble was disabled due to the forebearance debuff. :oops: The price of frontloading aggro on Kael using AW can be pretty steep sometimes.

Now I pop AW before approaching Kael, not during the first few seconds of beating on him. The latter habit works great in optimizing AW threat benefit (e.g. Gruul's OT), but not so well when planning to bubble.
GothicPL

Postby Maihes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Yea I completely botched bubbling myself the other day. I back away then hit it right after he finishes casting... ADD kicked in and yea.... but 50% happened right then anyways.
Maihes

Postby Achtung » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I also did that last night. Was first time to do it on heroic, and for some reason I thought that his pyro last later on, like after 50% hp or something. So I was just standing there judgement spamming and my guildies came over vent "uh...pyro?" and then splat before I had a chance to react.

Still wtf pwned him though.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Robin de tolens » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:41 am

I think you should just use righteous defense just after using the bubble, that way he will not change the target.
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby strongbad216 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:54 am

The same thing happened to me last night, but instead of him switching to dps he wound up one shotting the healer. I also didn't bubble until he was about .5 seconds away from finishing the cast (had good latency that day) but still wound up wiping. On the next attempt i just ate the pyro since you don't really need a tank for the next phase. Is this just some kind of random occurrence when he doesn't hit you or is it some kind of glitch? Should I even bother bubbling through the pyro next time? (mind you I don't like high repair bills, but one death is better than a wipe)
strongbad216

Postby Dianora » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:07 am

GothicPL wrote:
Khayne wrote:(once i died since i accidentally double-clicked my bubble button which dropped my bubble :oops: )

I have a confession to make as well. I failed to bubble out of Pyro once as well, because my bubble was disabled due to the forebearance debuff. :oops: The price of frontloading aggro on Kael using AW can be pretty steep sometimes.

Now I pop AW before approaching Kael, not during the first few seconds of beating on him. The latter habit works great in optimizing AW threat benefit (e.g. Gruul's OT), but not so well when planning to bubble.

Nah, I save the forbearance on a party that I know is a bit short on dps. I equip [item=35700]Figurine - Crimson Serpent[/item] and trinket it prior to pull. Basically I wear my stam gear, and save the bubble for when I really need it.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Robin de tolens » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Kael Thas is a mob, not a player. Even if you set your bubble a millisecond before he casts his pyro, he would still change his target. That's why you have to either bubble ~2sec before the cast and taunt , or step back and bubble after he's casted his pyro.
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
Robin de tolens

Postby Questioner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Robin de tolens wrote:Kael Thas is a mob, not a player. Even if you set your bubble a millisecond before he casts his pyro, he would still change his target. That's why you have to either bubble ~2sec before the cast and taunt , or step back and bubble after he's casted his pyro.

This is the first time I have heard of this, and I've tanked through Illidan, so I would have to disagree. :D

Although I will be honest, I've never had Kael cast his pyro so it could happen I suppose.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Robin de tolens » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Theoretically, the bubble makes you lose aggro, so I would say he'd change his target once you put it on, but i might be wrong, as I have never tried.

Nevertheless, I've already seen mobs just target another player or my pet (when I'm on my lock) and just before the end of the cast, target me and cast the spell on me.
Anyway... a mob shouldn't be able to change the spell target, since players cannot :evil:
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
Robin de tolens

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics