Remove Advertisements

When to use stam trinkets?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 am

(offtopic, sorry)

Honorshammer wrote:I can't recall ever seeing a dodge, miss, or parry on that fight, but it's not like I'm constantly watching my combat log.

You might want to look into Mik's Scrolling battle text -- http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/3395/

I've got mine configured to show incoming heals in one column, and incoming damage in another, so I can see what my damage intake looks like, and how hard things are hitting me, and what healers are on the ball.

Being able to compliment a healer on a clutch save or ginormous is also nice. The incoming column's nice for seeing if I'm eating lashes or dodging them or whatever. Specifics are good.

My UI's still recovering from 2.4, but this screenshot will give you a good idea of what it looks like.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby sweeney » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 am

The gemming argument plain doesn't work, because the itemization formulas don't crunch out that way. Having a gem slot on an item is cheaper than it having +12 base stamina, while a trinket's itemized only according to its own ilvl.

Edit: Actually, "you can swap trinkets between fights, you won't regem your gear between fights" is a better argument than mine.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Warrender » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 am

Sweeney wrote:Edit: Actually, "you can swap trinkets between fights, you won't regem your gear between fights" is a better argument than mine.

Actually, a better argument is that no matter what your gem choices, the game still won't allow you to click a gem to produce an activated ability.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Eanin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 am

Warrender wrote:
Sweeney wrote:Edit: Actually, "you can swap trinkets between fights, you won't regem your gear between fights" is a better argument than mine.

Actually, a better argument is that no matter what your gem choices, the game still won't allow you to click a gem to produce an activated ability.

Of course, if you have the Commendation, the game will just click your trinket for you :).
Eanin

Postby dab » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 am

The flexibility is a good argument.
Edit: and so is the "on use" argument.

However the iLvl argument is just false, it is actually the other way around (because you get the socket bonus), and that was the point of my post.
For blizzard 12 stam = 8 dodge.
This formula is used to itemize gems, and the same is used for trinkets (otherwise I am wrong, but I would be very surprised).

(And I won't bother responding to the ad hominem argument about the enchant that is on the gloves I was wearing when I happened to log out)
ImageImage
dab

Postby Endléss » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 am

I am kind of new here on this forum but wanted to ask a fast question. I have the DMC:V (just havdent gotten it made yet) i use my rocket launcher for now and will soon have the MgT tank trinket as well. In your opinion,cause ive heard mixed ideas, is the card worth the cost? Should i sell it and just wait for my pocket watch to drop and use the MgT trinket and the watch? Atm i have 104.8 avoid so i dont really NEED the watch but just wanted to see what you thought.

Options: DMC:V + MgT trinket
Pocket watch + MgT trinket
Rocket Launcher + MgT Trinket.

just let me know what you guys think, thanks for your time.
Endléss

Postby Ciandin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 am

Endléss wrote: Pocket watch + MgT trinket
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Imbur » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm

I have all of the trinkets, stam, threat, avoidance. They get switched out EVERY pull. If I am tanking a slow hitting big damage mob, I go with moroes and commendation. If I am tanking Kalecgos, I use Moroes and figurine. If I am tanking Hyjal trash, I use Serpent and Auto Blocker. For heroics, I use Serpent and commendation for stam.
Imbur

Postby Tyaera » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 pm

basically the Commendation never leaves my equipped slot while raiding or instancing. Its just too good. The other slot is either DMC:Vengeance for threat/more stamina, and the Pocketwatch for bosses, as I need it to push me over the last 0.5% into uncrushable.

The only time the Commendation leaves my equipped slots is when AOE farming Supplicants, at which point I use the FotC and the DMC:V for the very nice non-cooldown proc.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Endléss » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:54 pm

very cool thanks for the great advice. Ive been steadily gathering a large collection of trinkets and it looks like ill be using every one of them often enough to keep them on me. :lol: thanks again.
Endléss

Postby Verb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 pm

This seems like the right thread for this, and I can't find any opinions specific to this either:

Moroes trinket just dropped, so I can switch from two +32 def trinkets to the moroes trinket + a STAM one.

Here's the quandary: I'm two cards away from the DMC with the holy thorns (51 stam), but I'm also two crimson spiniels away from the SSO serpent (33 int, 49 stamina, +150 spell damage on-use).

So which do I get? 20 badges seems like a lot for the two gems, but the spelldamage on-use is so nice for burst threat.

The faire is another month away, but I've heard people rave up and down about the darkmoon deck :/

Clearly the easy answer is "get both!" but I'm not sure which is the best for me right now. (at the moment I either use the 45 stam netherwing trinket or the 33 stam CoT JC serpent)

Any opinions are appreciated, even "Wrong forum, noob!"

-Verb
Verb

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice