Remove Advertisements

How do you balance Speed and Mana Usage

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

How do you balance Speed and Mana Usage

Postby xandarr » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 pm

First, I want to say thanks to everyone responsible for this site. I've been lurking about a month now, and you have all made me realize that I can do this.

Now my question. I'm brand new to paladins and tanking both, and I just got my first pally to 70. I've run maybe 6-8 instances while leveling from 60 to 70, and one thing that I have noticed is that I tend to burn mana very quickly. I have to drink after almost every pull, which greatly slows down the run. I know that I just got Avenging Wrath, which I'm sure will help out with front loading threat quite a bit.

My routine for most pulls up until now has been this:
1. Improved Righteous Fury, Blessing of Sanctuary, and Retribution Aura on at all times.
2. Seal of Righteousness prep just before the pull
3. Avenger's Shield at the pull targets
4. Judge Righteousness
5. Consecration
6. Holy Shield
7. Seal of Righteousness restart.
8. Rotate steps 4-7 as they become available, making sure to Judge the 2nd target asap, because the first is usually almost dead by the time Judgement is ready.

Using this rotation, I have zero trouble keeping aggro as long as the party waits for the first Consecration. Now that I've hit 70, and Avenging Wrath is available, how should I change my rotation so that I can end the fight with enough mana to keep rumbling through groups without having to drink between each pull?

Also, how much is speed of play dependent upon gear? I have very little tanking gear so far, if you check my Armory profile, but I'm starting to run Netherstorm quests as recommended in one of the gear threads, so I'm hoping to fix most of my gear issues over the next few weeks, until I can at least hit uncrittable. Uncrushable is, I'm sure, farther in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-------------------------
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil!
-------------------------
xandarr

Postby Phaex » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Thats the "problem" all tankadins run into when starting. You feel like you are slowing down your run, by having to drink after every pull.
But thats not the case. You are doing everything else faster than a warrior tank, so the small downtime really is no issue.
Usually tankadins have like 5k mana, give 1k more or less. It is back to 100% with lvl 65 water in a matter of seconds.

Besides, you usually carry around some more manaclasses, who will just appreciate the downtime and regenerate themselves.

Try to work with less CC and more AE, it takes some time in random groups for this to work sometimes. But thats more like paladin style and basicly makes any mana problems history.
Phaex

Postby Prepared » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 pm

The time I spend drinking - which is only a few ticks compared to most folks walking around with 8-12k as DPS/healers - is time I spend marking the next pull. No real need to rush marking so you can run at them if you didn't stop to drink, and no need to think there's no need to mark them as your group is psychic. :D
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby kurros » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 am

You can greatly reduce drinking by use of judgment/seal of wisdom. Depends on the pull, but if it's multiple mobs you usually have plenty of threat built up on the second+ mobs due to consecration and holy shield that you don't actually need to use seal of righteousness, so you can just go into mana regen mode.

For raids, try to get a shadow priest in your group. Last weeks karazhan my group was a holy priest, ret paladin, me, and 2 shadow priests. Not only do you benefit from the mana return, the shadow priests actually do a lot of incidental healing in the tank group, it was great.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Lore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:27 am

If you're not getting enough mana from healing to keep moving, pull another group :P
Lore
Global Mod

Re: How do you balance Speed and Mana Usage

Postby Rhaenys » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 am

xandarr wrote:My routine for most pulls up until now has been this:
1. Improved Righteous Fury, Blessing of Sanctuary, and Retribution Aura on at all times.
2. Seal of Righteousness prep just before the pull
3. Avenger's Shield at the pull targets
4. Judge Righteousness
5. Consecration
6. Holy Shield
7. Seal of Righteousness restart.
8. Rotate steps 4-7 as they become available, making sure to Judge the 2nd target asap, because the first is usually almost dead by the time Judgement is ready.

As for Step 1. For instances, I run with Kings and Dev aura to help the healers out, as threat isnt a problem (unless i forget RF).

Using this rotation, I have zero trouble keeping aggro as long as the party waits for the first Consecration. Now that I've hit 70, and Avenging Wrath is available, how should I change my rotation so that I can end the fight with enough mana to keep rumbling through groups without having to drink between each pull?

I downrank consecration to Rank 2 or 3, depending on how much damage/healing I am getting for mana returns. I usually only have to drink every 3-4 pulls usually, or i drink when others are drinking.

Also, how much is speed of play dependent upon gear? I have very little tanking gear so far, if you check my Armory profile, but I'm starting to run Netherstorm quests as recommended in one of the gear threads, so I'm hoping to fix most of my gear issues over the next few weeks, until I can at least hit uncrittable. Uncrushable is, I'm sure, farther in the future.

I would just check out Dreamcrushers post on Pre-Kara gear, thats what I used. Very helpful.[/quote]
Rhaenys

Postby Questioner » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 am

There comes a point in time where you have to tell the healer one of two things:

1.) You aren't working hard enough, so I am switching to pure spell damage gear.
2.) You aren't working hard enough, so I am going to pull two whole sections at once.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 am

I don't say you aren't working hard enough.

I phrase it more like "I don't want you to get bored back there"

My Holy Paladin friend likes to surf the net during trash and alt tab back over for boss fights in Normal 5 mans.
honorshammer

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:03 am

I usually do 5-mans in my spell damage set which is about 4-500 spell damage off the top of my head and about 6k mana, uncrittable but not uncrushable.

I basically try and pace myself, and hold back some, and I judge Wisdom quite abit.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nich » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 am

Vanifae wrote:I usually do 5-mans in my spell damage set which is about 4-500 spell damage off the top of my head and about 6k mana, uncrittable but not uncrushable.

I basically try and pace myself, and hold back some, and I judge Wisdom quite abit.

What I'm logged out in now is what I run normal 5 mans in. Sometimes I'll throw in some mitigation gear for bosses >.>

High threat = noone else dying.
High damage in = finishing most pulls with near enough to full mana, that you can chain pull as long as your healer has enough to keep going.

Aim of the game (IMO) is to never have more downtime than your healer :twisted:
Nich

Return to Basic Training & Talents