Remove Advertisements

First Attempt

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

First Attempt

Postby Pillar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:42 am

My guild combined last night with another guild to try our luck at High King/Gruul.

Our first, and every time after that, we were able to kill 3 of the people, but high king and the mage would be left every time.

i tanked one mob, another warrior tank was on high king, and a 3rd was on the mob to the immediate right (dont remember name).

our main problem was keeping up the 3rd tank, and for the warlocks grabbing the felhounds.

we were told we did good for our first time- we had no problems with the pull. just warlock and keeping 3rd tank up. i think we are going to try again later this week.
Pillar

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 am

Monsters from left to right.

Shaman
Priest
High King
Warlock
Mage

On shaman, any ranged tank, he hits lightly and groudning totem makes him useless. Boomkin are ideal, if not, use 2 tanks(polymorph)
Priest: Your highest threat tank, so dps can go wild.
Warlock: second highest threat tank. It's rather useless but he should be easy to control once dpsers go to him.
Mage: Mage tank with spellsteal. HUNTERS CANNOT USE ARCANE SHOT! This is very important. Tank dies if hunters shoot arcane shot. No way around it.
High King takes your highest mitigation tank(he's a wuss but he doesn't need much threat either)

Even a single warlock can control all adds by "discarding" them at the mage after enslaving.

try moving mage and shaman the minimum possible, others can roam rather freely to be tanked best.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Pillar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:06 pm

druid got 1 shotted several times by the Shaman

i was tanking the priest

3rd (warrior tank that kept dieing) was on the warlock. he is a great tank, has much better gear than i do, but we just couldnt keep him up. if we tried moving another healer to him, then high king would start wearing down the MT .

our first attempt was probably our most sucessful- killed 3 of them, had high king down to around 25%, but then mage tank died and all heck erupted...
Pillar

Postby Sithy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 pm

You were DPSing high king before Krosh? Thats a no-no. Kill all the adds then work on High King.

Kill order that we used (and is pretty typical)
Blindeye
Olm
Ranged -> Krosh
Melee -> Kiggler
Mulgar

The trick to tanking is Olm is just to accept that you're going to get chain deathcoil'd. With that in mind just trying and run back to the raid and typically the healers when ever you aren't feared.
Sithy

Postby Pillar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 pm

we had basically the same order, but were told melee was supposed to go to high king once olm was down, and not kiggler.

priest - warlock - kiggler (melee) - high king (melee) /krosh (ranged)
Pillar

Postby maccalus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Pillar wrote:our first attempt was probably our most sucessful- killed 3 of them, had high king down to around 25%, but then mage tank died and all heck erupted...

We kill all 4 adds before high king. It simplifies everything not to have the mage up when high king does his charge. Our kill order is priest, warlock, melee on shaman ranged on mage, high king.
maccalus

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I believe we have our melee hop on HKM as soon as the priest and warlock are dead. Melee doesn't touch the mage and he's saved for last. I admit I'm not sure if melee helps with the shaman or not. But there is definetely a point where the ranged and melee are on two different targets for us. Typically by the time the raid moves on to HKM he's well under 75%.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 pm

You don't want adds being tanked at all after Maulgar simply because if he charges to them, it's bye bye tank and welcome loose mob with fear/heal/knockback/high high damage
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sithy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:07 pm

How is high king getting to 25% before ranged has finished krosh, is their dps that low? Are you heavy melee?

When I learned this fight as a progression fight (healing on my priest), I would want krosh dead as soon as humanly possible because keeping with the healing on the MT and the mage tank is extremely taxing.
Sithy

Postby Bubadin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:21 am

We use 2 tanks on Olm, when one is death coiled the other taunts him.
Bubadin

Postby Catriona » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 am

Hunters are also ideal for shaman tank (two of them at least) because they have aspect of the wild. We usually had two of them do it with one healer on them.
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:05 am

Priest: Killed first by all dps. Can be tanked by anyone really, rogues should keep him stunlocked and interrupt his heals. Druid in kitty gear, I have even tanked him on my rogue before. It's not difficult. DPS burns him down first.

Warlock: Usually second to die. All DPS goes to him. One or two tanks for this. If two then have second tank taunt the lock off of the tank that's deathcoiled. I have done it before solo as well, it's not difficult. Just make sure the healers to him are standing in the middle of the room, and try to follow him when he gets deathcoiled.

Shaman: Tanked either by a moonkin or two hunters trading aggro. Killed third by melee DPS. One healer can keep the tank(s) up for this part.

Mage: Tanked by a mage at the hit cap and with some stamina gear on. A resist of spell steal means death for the mage tank. Have all other mages in the raid ready to pick him up if the main mage dies, it's not necessarily over if the mage tank dies. Killed third by ranged DPS. Has an AOE you must stay away from.

High King: Killed last. After 50% has a random charge in addition to his whirlwind. Other tanks must be ready to taunt him and bring him back to the MT.

Notes:

1. If the mage is still up after the melee get done with the shaman have them use ranged attacks on the mage and help out. You do not want the High King to get too low on health before all the adds are down.

2. If the raid is melee heavy you can have the ranged switch to the mage after the priest is dead and let melee alone kill the warlock and the shaman. Basically it's timing to make sure the adds are dead before you start dpsing high king.

3. As a buffer you can have a pally tank hold the lock and pick up the fel hounds as well if they get loose before the locks get them. You can exorcise them and hold them and the lock at the same time.
Holyfuri

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag