Heroic SH gauntlet between boss 1 and 2

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic SH gauntlet between boss 1 and 2

Postby ldeboer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Got through heroic SH again last night but still finding painful the gauntlet run up to the second boss. Other than this section I find heroic SH easy.

Usually have to do twice or three times because we lose the clothies or healers as the little non elite packs hit hard.

I try and get as far ahead of everyone as possible and lay down cons but you get the odd couple that seem to run right over it or come from another side and go whack the healer or clothie and they really dont last long.

Not being able to just use Righteous defender until the target is already after someone else is a pain .. Ohh for a warrior like taunt :)

So anyone got any secret strat to make this easier
ldeboer

Re: Heroic SH gauntlet between boss 1 and 2

Postby thorn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 pm

ldeboer wrote:Got through heroic SH again last night but still finding painful the gauntlet run up to the second boss. Other than this section I find heroic SH easy.

Usually have to do twice or three times because we lose the clothies or healers as the little non elite packs hit hard.

I try and get as far ahead of everyone as possible and lay down cons but you get the odd couple that seem to run right over it or come from another side and go whack the healer or clothie and they really dont last long.

Not being able to just use Righteous defender until the target is already after someone else is a pain .. Ohh for a warrior like taunt :)

So anyone got any secret strat to make this easier

yeah, tell your healer to stop healing.

and refer to rule number one: do not attack until i lay down a consecrate.

the way i do it is: i run up to start and cast avenger's shield on those first three mobs to keep them glued to me, then i run as far as possible before the first group comes, then i consecrate and let the party burn them down. usually i can get the entire hall of stationed mobs this way if i am quick, and whatever few trickles that do come out, we just burn down.

then pull the boss as fast as possible.

???

profit.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Sparti » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Turn towards the hall you came in at, and walk backwards. Drop consecrate over and over again, and slowly move back until you're right before Blood Guard Porung and his archers. You'll get a LOT of adds. Don't worry about it. This entire fight is based on whether or not mobs get loose. If you move fast you're going to loose adds, and somebody's going to end up needing a battleres or a run back.

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Postby ldeboer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Sparti wrote:Turn towards the hall you came in at, and walk backwards. Drop consecrate over and over again, and slowly move back until you're right before Blood Guard Porung and his archers. You'll get a LOT of adds. Don't worry about it. This entire fight is based on whether or not mobs get loose. If you move fast you're going to loose adds, and somebody's going to end up needing a battleres or a run back.

You can seriously do that ... this is heroic we are talking about?

My stats arent much diff to yours and if I get around 9 of these so called non elites at once they are really smashing my HP around ... they hit like trucks thats why they 1 or 2 hit most clothies.
ldeboer

Postby thorn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:51 pm

ldeboer wrote:
Sparti wrote:Turn towards the hall you came in at, and walk backwards. Drop consecrate over and over again, and slowly move back until you're right before Blood Guard Porung and his archers. You'll get a LOT of adds. Don't worry about it. This entire fight is based on whether or not mobs get loose. If you move fast you're going to loose adds, and somebody's going to end up needing a battleres or a run back.

My stats arent much diff to yours and if I get around 9 of these so called non elites at once they are really smashing my HP around ... they hit like trucks thats why they 1 or 2 hit most clothies.

if by "stats" you mean his health vs your health, yeah, i can see what you see, but you're not looking at the right stat. the easiest way to judge a guy's overall gear based on his sig is by looking at his AC, in my opinion... and then look at his dodge rating. the higher these two are (while having a respectable amount of health), the better. if he has high holy damage, too, that's even more proof. you can always double-check by looking up the person's name and guild on armory. (speaking of, bulwark of the ancient kings is okay, but it's mostly for ret paladins. get 2.3 badge chest, bro.)

anyways, that was off-topic. what i really wanted to say was yes, you can do what he said, because what he said to do is "lock-down" mode. that's what you do to maintain survivability and threat while your healer is slowly healing you until you get to the end of the hall.

my way was the ninja-method. heh. just run to the end and rely on your avoidance/bv until your healer can catch up. his way requires your healer to be healing you until you get to the end, and so ensures survivability. try it. walking backwards = survival, for tanks.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby sweeney » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Walking backwards consecrating works great, agreed on that. We did Heroic SH yesterday and I would typically collect 3-4 mobs then stop for a bit until we were down to one, then resume backing up.

As long as you always have a consecrate ticking you'll get mobs to come for you initially, which is important since it's bad news to go OOM on the gauntlet. (The arrows tend to make it difficult to get more than a few ticks of drinking in, meaning you go too slow if you have to stop.)
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby ldeboer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:33 pm

thorn wrote:
ldeboer wrote:

if by "stats" you mean his health vs your health, yeah, i can see what you see, but you're not looking at the right stat. the easiest way to judge a guy's overall gear based on his sig is by looking at his AC, in my opinion... and then look at his dodge rating. the higher these two are (while having a respectable amount of health), the better. if he has high holy damage, too, that's even more proof. you can always double-check by looking up the person's name and guild on armory. (speaking of, bulwark of the ancient kings is okay, but it's mostly for ret paladins. get 2.3 badge chest, bro.)

anyways, that was off-topic. what i really wanted to say was yes, you can do what he said, because what he said to do is "lock-down" mode. that's what you do to maintain survivability and threat while your healer is slowly healing you until you get to the end of the hall.

my way was the ninja-method. heh. just run to the end and rely on your avoidance/bv until your healer can catch up. his way requires your healer to be healing you until you get to the end, and so ensures survivability. try it. walking backwards = survival, for tanks.

The question I ask is why backwards .. initially thought this was a joke?

I am assuming its because you are expecting the mobs to be running past you for healer and get picked up by consecrate and thus will turnback to you ... ?

Now as for my poor old bulwark on me I made 70 around mid jan and began tanking

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... highlight=

Funny looking back :)

I kind of retired my main mage because I had grown bored of it late feb and started tanking on pally as my preferred toon

So I have only been tanking heroics, kara 2 maybe 3 weeks and this week mag and gruul.

So havent had huge chances to get my Panza from nightbane :(
edit: its netherspite isnt it :)
I am sure him and maiden hate me they wont drop my plate.

What I have been able to do is patch together enuf gear with the help of some really helpful guys on this forum to do a half decent job be it with less than desirable gear.

I think thats where pro's like yourself can really be helpful ... prob more so than you all realize .

I know for one I would not ever have been able to get to content I am at the moment without this forum. .. to get to and down prince 2 weeks in a row from where I was 3 weeks ago is all due to advice off this forum.
ldeboer

Postby Seloei » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 pm

The gauntlet is a "retard check" most of the times.

3 rules i lay out every time someone new is there

1) Never go in front of me or you die
2) Don't start to dps before i stop moving
3) Don't stand in the fire

If someone dies, it's their own darn fault and we have to wait for him to run back before we can continue. I keep moving from spot to spot where the arrows can't reach you and tank them there. If someone is in front of me, he will get 2 shotted (be it a warrior or mage).

Also, since you will probably be mana starved before you reach the final boss, you have to chain-drink (since when they shoot an arrow you stop drinking). Usually i can get to atleast the last batch of 4 before the boss without having to drink.

Keep em behind you, keep em near you. Don't let them dps before you have agro, and it's easy
Seloei

Postby ldeboer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:22 am

Seloei wrote:The gauntlet is a "retard check" most of the times.

3 rules i lay out every time someone new is there

1) Never go in front of me or you die
2) Don't start to dps before i stop moving
3) Don't stand in the fire

If someone dies, it's their own darn fault and we have to wait for him to run back before we can continue. I keep moving from spot to spot where the arrows can't reach you and tank them there. If someone is in front of me, he will get 2 shotted (be it a warrior or mage).

Also, since you will probably be mana starved before you reach the final boss, you have to chain-drink (since when they shoot an arrow you stop drinking). Usually i can get to atleast the last batch of 4 before the boss without having to drink.

Keep em behind you, keep em near you. Don't let them dps before you have agro, and it's easy

Thanks will give this a go seems like it is the go with a pally tank.

I am not sure about retard check ... Its more like a pally tank aware thing :)

I have done this countless times on my mage with warrior tank and its much diff they just run in taunt, kill, taunt kill, taunt kill all the way up.
It's prob the one section in SH warriors have an advantage over pally's because there taunt only requires rage no actual target.

Hence why its a bit foreign to me even when I am on pally.
ldeboer

Postby guillex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:07 am

No. YOU walk backwards. Mobs are going to be running past you, and it's easier than having to turn around every time ... and gets them beating on your shield.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am

my favorite way of diong it is running, dazing the first three with as, running till I get a group, consecrate. There I turn to my team, and backpedal consecrating until I get runners. Group kills and we proceed. Does it in 2 rounds if we have aoe, 3 without aoe.

<last heroic sh run consisted of 3 feral druid dps>
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 am

rocket boots is all you need on the gauntlet.
Cearn

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 am

Cearn wrote:rocket boots is all you need on the gauntlet.
This is actually awesome enough that i'm trying this night!
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Brickhouse » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:14 am

I have not tried the Rocket boots strategy...

And, I always seem to have a Paladin or Shaman healer with me (no HoT - if you don't count Earth Shield)....

So, I just take it nice and steady. If people are patient with Damage + move out of fire, it is rather, really easy.

Theoretically, I assume, if you have a nice Dot healer, you could still do it like in Normal mode, where you just run to the end. But, as already stated, these Adds do hit pretty hard, and will lay waste to any clothies pretty easy, and we do require some healing.

But, strategy, as already stated, take it steady, make sure people stay behind you, and control their dps.
Brickhouse

Postby antiy4ho0 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:35 am

I tried running Heroic SH tonight and could not pass the gauntlet. Every time I got to the end of the hall no problem. The problem was grabbing the boss at the end of the hall. I thought grabbing the boss and his 2 adds would be okay before grabbing the 4. Dropping Consecrate and tanking them all. Bad idea. Now that I think about it It probably would of been a bad idea if the 4 mobs stuck to me, but they didn't. I dropped consecrate, mobs took off running over my consecrate and wtfpwned my healer. Attempt 2= stupid DPS standing in fire. Attempt 3 was loose mobs wtfpwning my healer again. More of the same really. I think we tried about 6-8 times.

Consecrate was down (max rank) I was judging mobs I was shielding when mana and lack of mobs permitted but I had a lot of issues with mobs just randomly ignoring my consecrate and making a bee line for my poor priest. Sometimes I could taunt them back or BoP but bad combinations of the priest running out of mana and the priest getting wtfpwned at times meant we couldn't finish.

I almost want to say it could of been weak DPS or the lack of a mage or lock but I don't see how AoE would of saved my healer.

Anyway I was shielding the first 3 mobs, running all the way up to where the next pack of 4 stand dropping consecrate, turning around and walking backwards all the way up the hall. I would drop consecrate every so often stop walking let my healer get me back up to 100% and get some mobs taken down but it just wasn't happening. We're trying again tommorow night and if anyone else has any ideas/tips they are more than appreciated.
antiy4ho0

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics