Remove Advertisements

Tanking Gruul's

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Gruul's

Postby Fenira » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:33 am

Hey everyone at Maintankadin,

I've been preparing to tank Gruul's for a while now, but just recently not sure if I have the correct gear for the encounter. I've linked my armory profile as well, I pretty much understand the encounter from watching videos, listening to guild members, but as if I'm ready for it, well thats another story ._. Anyways, any advice on gear or upgrades would be nice :D thank ya'

P.S Whats a good avoidance number to be at when tanking Gruul the Dragon Killer,example, dodge, parry, block etc,

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... t&n=Mylina

Thank you so much guys, much love :o
Fenira

Postby Icaros » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:31 pm

heya,

execute this macro with holy shield up.

Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)*150/355 + 20)*0.04,1,0.5,0)

Now you have one good reference about your avoidence ;)

A magic number of avoidance is 102.4

I guess your problem is not only avoidance but you need up your HP (unbuffed).

I hope this little tip can help you.

PS. for more information I copied this macro of wowwiki http://www.wowwiki.com/Paladins_as_tanks:_Gear_Mechanics

cya
Icaros

Postby Frickit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:32 pm

you need to be uncrushable and your buffed hp and armor should be like around 17k each Im guessing. Tankadin addon will show you if your uncrushable, so will Tankpoints. and of course 490 def for uncrittability.
Frickit

Postby Sithy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:42 pm

You're a little under 102.4% for uncrushable. Gear looks pretty decent though. Only 2 things that strike me as replace or change out.
Grab the CE revered neck, its got dodge, def, stam much better than the BV neck.
If you can find a different ring with dodge or block rating on it you'll be golden to get you close to 102.4%. Delicate Eternium Ring is pretty easy to get mats for if you can find a crafter.
Sithy

Postby Robbert » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

For Gruul I'd suggest swapping out some of the Block Value items you have (especially the blue ring and neck) in favor or avoidance items. Once Gruul is in the grow 8-10 range you'll want to have as much EH and avoidance as you can manage. Block Value becomes less valuable the higher growth the boss reaches, and you really need to gear to survive to the higher growths...plan on 14-15 for a first attempt and down to 12 or less if your guild has him on farm. You'll likely have a few high growth silences that result in holy shield being down for a few seconds. This can definately be an issue if you eat a large crush with all your healers silenced as well.

Also, bring a good stock of both mana pots and stoneshield/ironshield pots. Chug mana pots early (if needed) and chain chug stoneshield/ironshield pots after grow 8 or so. You can also start the fight with Ret Aura for a bit of extra threat and mana returns then swap to Devotion Aura again around grow 8 or so.
Robbert

Postby Fenira » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:17 pm

:shock: so much information! but thanks a lot for the replies. Information is very helfpul and everyones input is greatly appreciated. I ran the script with Holy Shield up, i got 102.6 avoidance. then a lot of numbers after it. I beleive that means just round it to the nearest. After doing both my trinkets i got roughly 112.3'sh avoidance i can't really remember since im at work right now :P but anyways, a little more hp and some other gear from kara i should be pretty good I hope, and thanks a lot for the tips on trinkets, neck pieces and other gear upgrades as i will be going for that really soon! thanks again! :D
Fenira

Postby Robbert » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:01 pm

Don't forget that raid buffed you'll be gaining additional avoidance. You should definately have each of the following until you're comfortable with the encounter (and most encounters imo);

Greater Blessing of Kings
Gift of the Wild III
Scroll of Agility V
Scroll of Protection V
Superior Wizard Oil
Food/Flask of your choice (30 stam food and Fort flask for your first time are good options)

At least that's what I always load up with on new tanking encounters (when warranted...the prot scroll wouldn't make sense for hydross for example) until the encounter is familiar to me and most of our raiders.
Robbert

Postby Korshiaz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:34 pm

I know this was for someone else, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same question.

I think I'm ready for Gruul's but my guild does not. I have been trying to convince them to let me try my hand at it. they just seem to think im too squishy.

I can up my armor whit a different shield at the expense of some avoidance. but i can throw the SB enchant on it to pretty much alleviate that. and I plan on a +dodge to my cloak

armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Criturface

I just need a definitive answer as to weather or not I am ready for this, something i can provide to my guild to show that I am ready. short of offering to pay everyone's repair bill's.
Korshiaz

Postby Cosmoz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Korshiaz wrote:I know this was for someone else, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same question.

I think I'm ready for Gruul's but my guild does not. I have been trying to convince them to let me try my hand at it. they just seem to think im too squishy.

I can up my armor whit a different shield at the expense of some avoidance. but i can throw the SB enchant on it to pretty much alleviate that. and I plan on a +dodge to my cloak

armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Criturface

I just need a definitive answer as to weather or not I am ready for this, something i can provide to my guild to show that I am ready. short of offering to pay everyone's repair bill's.

you wont be able to tank gruul.

Your Hp and armor is kinda Okish, not good but you could probably do it if you get the best food/flasks/potions and so on.

now, why you cant tank gruul. your spelldamage. 204 spelldamage wont do it. now you say, well our dps can just hold their dps a bit... but, they cant. Gruul is more or less a timed fight, it gets harder and harder very fast. DPS needs to be able to go max! or gruul will hit you way to hard, and your healers wont be able to keep you up, not with the low armor/hp. sure, you could try, and maybe you culd even kill him, but I did say after you got gruul to 50-20% you will die over and over and over again.

ok. if you REALY wanna try it, there are ways..... expensive ways... with elixir+food+wizardoil, you can rais your spelldamage with about 145 or something like that, witch would bring you to a "ok" spelldamage. unless your DPS are in all blues, some of them will still need to hold back. but it will be doable. only little problem with this is, it will cost you...dunno what the stuff cost on your server but expect to pay up to 100g for it.

good luckdude.
Cosmoz

Postby Elhadj » Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 am

I'm posting to see how close I am to MT'ing Gruul. I tank everything in Kara with no problem. Here is my link

http://www.armory-light.com/us/Garona/Elhadj/

Im still working on being uncrushabe (damn chestpiece won't drop from Nightbane).

Thanks in advance.
Elhadj

Postby Cosmoz » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 pm

you are faar away :/

your hp/armor is OK... but your avoidance is just way to low... get uncrushable first, witch is pretty much needed here unless you greatly outgear the instance. and not only uncrush, but more complete avoidance. I dont se you MT gruul with 14% dodge :/
and 2nd, your spelldamage. i did say 300-350 is minimum for gruuls. you cant threat-cap your dps, or the fight will take to long. long fight = dead tank.
Cosmoz

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag