Remove Advertisements

Trouble with the bear boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trouble with the bear boss

Postby Lauranna-Skullcrusher » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:43 am

Ok so last week we went to do the bear boss and it worked fine with a Feral druid and me a tankadin.

Druid tanked the bear form and I did the troll form. All went fine and we downed it on the 2nd try.

This week we had me as tankadin and a warrior.
I was tanking the bear form and the warrior was tanking the troll form. I have 1k health over the warrior and slightly have better gear.

It seems that I am unable to tank the bear form, I keep dieing when the healers get silence. Our healers were: Paladin, Priest, Shaman.
Not enough HoTs?

I dunno but I had over 18k health buffed and my dodge was 24% buffed (Sigs needs to be updated). Am I doing something wrong? Only thing I can see is that I'm missing the Moroes pocket watch... If only it could drop.
Lauranna-Skullcrusher

Postby inthedrops » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 am

You should be fine. Sounds like bad luck with the silences. Happens to the best on occasion. Healers must keep you topped off for the whole bear phase....the bleeds and incoming damage really adds up during those silences.

Save your health pots/stones/seeds/LoH for those badly timed silences.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Huon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 am

seems like luck in your case. Put the best geared tank (aka most hp and avoidance) on bear because he does bleed as well as hitting.

With earthshield and priest hots, there should be a problem... Slacking healers? undergeared healers?
Huon

Postby Wulfhere » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 am

Your gear is fine for bear form. I've have tanked the bear form with lesser gear than you have now. We also generally run with Paladin, Priest, Shaman healers. I do have the advantage of stoneform for up to 2 of the bear phases.

My main advice is use an ironshield/greater stoneshield pot. Also, if you have access to a different ring than Dath'Remar's (Elementium Band, Shermanar, Unyeilding, etc..) I would use that for boss tanking. I love my Dath'Remar's but it usually gets switched out for bosses.
Wulfhere

Postby Lauranna-Skullcrusher » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:39 am

Once again, pocket watch and ring didn't drop last night, so I got the Unyeilding ring. Gonna give it another try tomorrow night.
Lauranna-Skullcrusher

Postby Cosmoz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:40 am

did the bear a feew days ago (my first raid ever...dident even do KZ earlier)
had like 15.5k HP, 14k armor, uncrush/uncrit ofc.
A friend of mine joined with his warrior (somewhat overgeared for ZA)
we started with him tanking the troll, and me the bear... and we lasted about 15 sec or so, after I started to tank the bear.
soo, we changed and I tanked the troll, and I was never below 50% HP I belive... dno but unless you are very good geared, the bear will kill you.
(I know im undergeared for ZA, but well....pewpew)
Cosmoz

Postby Seloei » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:47 am

Generally, if you can survive the trip up to the bear boss (the 2 bear riders) you should be able to tank his bear phase. But yeah... the best geared tank should always be on the bear and the worser on troll. troll doesn't hit for anything at all so most of the times, we have only 2 healers on that part (3. who is closest to mana probs, gets a bit of OOC mana).

Just stack yourself on eachother and split the cleave's and bleeds. Only start to dance around when you are dead sure you will not die
Seloei

Postby antiy4ho0 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:52 pm

So last night was my first trip to ZA and I attempted to tank bear form on one of our attempts and it didn't go so well. I had 17.9k buffed HP, 15k armor and a I think 51-52% pure avoidance. Troll form was no problem but bear form was a whole different story for me. I'm worried about our next trip to ZA because I'm the guilds best geared tank, and the feral druid we had tanking Bear form was just a PuG.
antiy4ho0

Postby Tyaera » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Nalorakk does not crush so feel free to swap in stamina trinkets.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Cosmoz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm

think I have pushed my stats and gear over the edge where I can tank the bear. Had a OT warrior with us and he tanked troll and me bear. bear hits like a truck but we killed him on first try. dident have much hp (about 17.5k) cuz we had no priest in the raid :/
Cosmoz

Postby kalbear » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Yeah, the bear is tough, tough, tough. If you have anything that boosts armor I'd use it. You can also bubble to cleanse the DoT, but it's a tricky transition if you do. Resilience helps a smidgen here as well, as you take less damage from the DoTs.

Ideally you'll have a feral druid and a resto druid. The feral usually has more HP and can soak more damage and doesn't need to worry about crushes, and the resto has those great HoTs. If you don't have that, make sure that your healers are working as hard as they can to keep you topped off at all times, and that they're saving their mana during the troll phase.
kalbear

Postby Zeels » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 am

kalbear wrote:Yeah, the bear is tough, tough, tough. If you have anything that boosts armor I'd use it. You can also bubble to cleanse the DoT, but it's a tricky transition if you do. Resilience helps a smidgen here as well, as you take less damage from the DoTs.

Ideally you'll have a feral druid and a resto druid. The feral usually has more HP and can soak more damage and doesn't need to worry about crushes, and the resto has those great HoTs. If you don't have that, make sure that your healers are working as hard as they can to keep you topped off at all times, and that they're saving their mana during the troll phase.

Again the bear doesn't crush so for that part the druid isn't better.
I remember doing the bear in karazhan loot, remember I had a small heart attack each transition.

One more tip is that you get the commodation if you don't already have it, it's great, and will be activated a lot of times on that fight unless you are overgeared.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby sucellus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:57 am

Are you sure the mangle debuff and the bleeds weren't being applied to the same tank? That can end in a swift death. The biggest problem I've seen on this fight is a resisted taunt, last Friday he resisted 4 taunts in a row from me. Me and the druid tank (and the healers) were a bit overgeared so she was able to survive for quite a while into troll form before she died, then I tanked the rest of the fight, holding off until the last possible second to bubble->unbubble to remove a huge stack of debuffs.

Damn resists, the seconds it took us to res and rebuff so early were the 15 seconds we needed for the 3rd chest. :-)
sucellus

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:10 am

Tyaera wrote:Nalorakk does not crush so feel free to swap in stamina trinkets.

Jeez why didnt no one tell me :lol: is that for both phases? I had the bear the last couple times and I was nervous..I think my armor is a little low for that. I much prefer the troll phase dont know why we switched.

But I will be adding stamina if he doesnt crush for sure.
Frickit

Postby Baelor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 am

Frickit wrote:
Tyaera wrote:Nalorakk does not crush so feel free to swap in stamina trinkets.

Jeez why didnt no one tell me :lol: is that for both phases? I had the bear the last couple times and I was nervous..I think my armor is a little low for that. I much prefer the troll phase dont know why we switched.

But I will be adding stamina if he doesnt crush for sure.

There's still something to be said about keeping your set uncrushable, even against bosses that don't crush.

If you gear for uncrushable, you guarentee that while Holy Shield is up, the attack will be (worst case scenario) blocked, if not outright avoided. If you drop below uncrushable, the boss can get a normal hit through, bypassing your Block Value, which is normally (for t5-6) in the 300-700 range. That's a nice chunk of damage guarenteed to be shaved off of every attack. I'd suggest keeping your regular raid-tank set on, even against non-crush bosses.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Next

Return to Zul'aman