Al'ar Flame Patches + Spell Reflect & How to AoE the Add

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Al'ar Flame Patches + Spell Reflect & How to AoE the Add

Postby Talyn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Two questions from a guild trying to learn Al'ar... first off, we're doing the strat where we contain the adds from P1 and save them for P2, then AoE them to get a quick burst at Al'ar when he repops.

The problems we are having revolve primarily around having all the adds die at the same time from the AoE... I have instructed our pally tank responsible (I am our MT for this and most fights) to pull them into the doorway's niche when Al'ar dies from P1. Immediately after Al'ar respawns, I have our mages/warlocks AoE (mages -> Blizzard, warlocks -> SoC) on him (obviously making sure everyone is at max range away from the pally tank).

The first time we did this, everything worked as planned: the tank died (Soulstone), and the adds all died in place.

The second time we tried, he died as scheduled, but several adds remained (4-5), who promptly aggro'd someone else in the room and went crazy.

What tips can anyone offer to help ensure the AoE goes properly every time?

Secondly, I also read that warriors can spell reflect the flame patches. How does this work? A warrior sees a flame patch, runs into it, and activates spell reflect? Does the flame patch then disappear?

Thanks for all the help!
Talyn

Postby Enesch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 am

It is actually kind of a pain to get all the adds to die close enough together that they don't wreak havoc on the raid after the tank dies. That it worked for you the first time was great, but we've found it difficult to do consistently, so now we just keep 1-3 adds from P1 into P2.

And sadly, spell-reflecting the flame patches has been...patched. As of 2.4, that no longer works. Last night resulted in many squishie deaths as they were not accustomed to the floor being hotter than Andre Rison's house after one of Lisa 'Left-Eye' Lopez's visits.
Enesch

Postby Talyn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:40 am

Ah, bummer about the flame patches! One of blizzard's famous undocumented patch changes I assume? Like Demonic Chains to Demon Chains? :)

So do you then single-target DPS down the remaining 3?

I also have heard some groups say that strictly using SoC to aoe the adds from p1->p2 transition is better than adding Blizzard to the equation... what is the logic there?

Has anyone had any luck doing this regularly? Or should we just do it the traditional way?
Talyn

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:49 am

Talyn wrote:I also have heard some groups say that strictly using SoC to aoe the adds from p1->p2 transition is better than adding Blizzard to the equation... what is the logic there?
I assume that it's about soc's regularity. It's a DoT with an AoE once the DoT expires.
Problem is: The DoT expires as soon as the victim took 1200~ damage from any source, even other players' attacks. If you are using strictly using SoC, the 1000~ damage will take at least 3 seconds to happen, while with other aoes it's instant. This way all seeds explode in a very small timespan instead of exploding as the new one lands.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nicki » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:29 am

they can't be spell reflected anymore.
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Nicki

Postby juggi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 am

Make sure all mobs from Phase 1 are whittled down to under 20%. B ring a melee dps or 2 down to help. Have hunters lay frost traps to slow the mobs down bit after the tank dies or gets knocked back. I prefer knockback because they I live and still have agro. Then I can control the mobs and take any remaining to a safe place. Also instruct your AE dps to not single target any mobs that didn't get taken down in the 1st wave of AE.
juggi

Postby Seloei » Sat May 10, 2008 4:12 am

If your doing all adds, have them single target killed from range. Bring them to about 40% or so (holy shield and consec do a lot of dmg) and when p2 starts. Start poping em one by one. The tank should be able to take atleast 2 booms before dieing and if he is placed correctly he wont fly too far and can get a heal or two before the next add dies
Seloei

Return to Tempest Keep