Remove Advertisements

Looking for a Breakdown On Maulgar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Looking for a Breakdown On Maulgar

Postby Vencedor » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:22 am

Like the title says, just looking for a breakdown in the sequence of events (ie killing the adds and how to easily handle them) for the Maulgar fight.

I've read over the wowwiki page which details the fight and watched a couple videos, most of which were not from the tank point of view.

Anyway, if anyone has the time, a breakdown of the fight would be much appreciated.
I've also heard something about the tanking "backing" Maulgar up or something to that effect to avoid his special attacks?
Can someone please explain that?

I realize this could be a lengthy fight to try and describe and for that, I would appreciate any input.
Basically, I'm looking for something that describes the fight easily from all points of view, since having as few "learning" fights as possible would be ideal.
Vencedor

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am

The adds are killed in this order:

1. Blindeye the Seer (Priest)
2. Olm the Summoner (Warlock)
--at this point, melee DPS will move to Maulgar, ranged DPS will finish killing the other adds--
3. Krosh Firehand (Mage)
4. Kiggler the Crazed (Shaman)
5. High King Maulgar

The Pull
You'll want 1 misdirect at the bare minimum, 3 is ideal. The mage tanking Krosh Firehand will start the pull with a Fireball (or whatever other travelling DPS spell of choice). As that fireball is travelling to Krosh, Olm the Summoner should be misdirected to his tank, who will then run toward the instance entrance to give as much time as possible for Warlocks to enslave Felhounds and sick them on Olm. Meanwhile, the Priest and Maulgar tanks should be picking up their respective targets, give them misdirects if possible (it's ok for the Hunters tanking Kiggler to toss out misdirects before picking him up). The pull is the trickiest part of the fight, once you have it down it's pretty simple. Healing is tight at the start, but as adds die more healers become available.

Blindeye the Seer
Tanked normally, off to the side (we tank him on the left side of the room near the little smokestack thing). DPS should burn through his shield quickly when he throws it up and interrupt his heals. He should die fairly quickly.

Olm the Summoner
Tanked by the Felhounds he summons. He should be tanked in the entrance tunnel, where he ran to after the initial misdirect. The tank assigned to him should build aggro on him and pick up Felhounds temporarily when they are summoned. Pretty straightforward for DPS, just kill him.

Krosh Firehand
Tanked by a mage standing a fair distance away from him, he shouldn't move from his initial spot. The mage should preferably be able to break 10k HP fully buffed, and spellsteal his damage shield whenever he puts it up. After Blindeye and Olm are dead, ranged DPS should finish Krosh off as melee moves to Maulgar. Don't get close to him as he has a very powerful Blast Nova.

Kiggler the Crazed
Tanked by two Hunters wearing NR, who will mostly trade aggro back and forth when he does his ranged disarm ability. All the Hunters really need to do is DPS him. He has a large AOE knockback ability, so the Hunters need to keep away from him as well as keep him away from the raid. Ranged DPS will finish him off after Krosh Firehand is dead.

High King Maulgar
Should be tanked on the immediate right of the entrance. His Arcing Smash ability works much like the Warrior Slam ability, it has a short cast time and the tank CAN move out of range of it before it goes off, however we don't usually bother (and haven't since we first started killing him) as once an add or two is dead there's plenty of healing on the tank, and moving him around can get messy. Melee DPS needs to be mindful of his Whirlwind ability and get out of range when he's about to use it. Once he's under 50% HP he enrages, starts doing more damage, and will occasionally fear and drop aggro and start running around the raid. Extra tanks whose adds are dead at that point should spread out around the raid and be ready to taunt him and bring him back to the tanking spot. Just DPS him down and enjoy your loot =)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vencedor » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks much, Lore.
I found another site that breaks it down much easier than wowwiki and your post only solidifies it more in my mind.

Thanks for taking the time.
Vencedor

Postby Enkal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:27 am

I hear Curse of Weakness on Maulgar helps a ton.

Curse of Tongues (sp?) on the rest also helps.
Enkal

Postby Julian » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:55 am

We always put melee dps on Kiggler after Olm goes down; they need to stand such that his knockback won't send them into Krosh, but the damage from Kigg's AE is pretty minimal.

The reason we do it that way is so that Krosh (who is the real threat in this fight) dies slightly faster, because the hunters tanking Kiggler are typically freed up to go hit him before he goes down.

Your mileage may vary.
Julian

Postby adese » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:09 am

In the few times that we've killed him, we've found that the Shaman is practically dead by the time that our DPS gets to the Mage. We have our melee DPS (which we don't have much of, honestly) head straight for the High King once the Warlock is dead. By the time that ranged DPS finishes off the Mage, the Shaman is dead or nearly dead, then everyone can focus on the High King.
adese

Postby Jensaarai » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 am

Everyone does this fight differently...we do it differently than Lore said, but it works fine for us (mostly in terms of positioning). I personally tank the warlock with another tank, and I pull with Avenger's Shield to free up a misdirect for the priest and Maulgar. All dps starts on the Priest, then the Lock, then ranged move to the Mage and melee to the Shaman, then those both die at about the same time and everyone moves to Maulgar. Positioning is a little different but however you decide should be ok, as long as they're spread out :)
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Silandra » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Jensaarai wrote:Everyone does this fight differently...we do it differently than Lore said, but it works fine for us (mostly in terms of positioning). I personally tank the warlock with another tank, and I pull with Avenger's Shield to free up a misdirect for the priest and Maulgar. All dps starts on the Priest, then the Lock, then ranged move to the Mage and melee to the Shaman, then those both die at about the same time and everyone moves to Maulgar. Positioning is a little different but however you decide should be ok, as long as they're spread out :)

The shield doesn't bounce to any of the other adds?

If you're missing Captain America, you can heal yourself at the start: Take off some of your gear, put it back on, as soon as the fight start, heal yourself. You'll get some aggro, kind of like a ghetto misdirect.
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Postby jere » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Silandra wrote:
The shield doesn't bounce to any of the other adds?

Not if you time it correctly. I am able to pull both the Priest and the Summoner with AS without hitting the others provided I time it right and the other pullers do their job.
jere

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Yep...I've only hit the mage once, and that was because the mage puller did something a little different and he didn't move the way he usually did...every other time I've been able to nail him solo ^_^
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag