Remove Advertisements

So, how many Kara Bosses can a Tankadin (me) Single Tank

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30 pm

plisken451 wrote:The trick we used on the ushers when I was solo tanking and we didn't even have a priest for shackle, was for the hunter to misdirect the 2nd usher to his pet which was parked at the staircase at the end of the ballroom. Usher takes 3 days running to the pet, kills it, and starts running back. By that time, the first usher is dead. Works like a charm.

This is a great idea. Those ushers run in slow-mo.
Spudge_Boy

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:32 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Pretty much All bosses other than netherspite are solo-tankable.

If you're not overgeared, you'll want a second tank for Moroes, Opera(Oz / Julianne). If you are overgeared, you can just tank-em-all, all the time.
Butt-tank Moroes to avoid gouges and cleanse frost shock from ushers(they don't seem to icetomb if you don't have Frost Shock on you), tank all at once on Oz(initial threat on roar and tank tinman/crone/tito), focus on Julianne(holy shield > romulo), and enjoy the ride.

If you're in a badgazan race, usually dps is so high tito doesn't even spawn.

Butt-tank. Heh.

I didn't know that Gouge was a frontal attack. Good to know.
Spudge_Boy

Postby thorn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:49 pm

butt tank? what does this mean? how can you tank him from behind him and make him face away? heh.

also, i didn't know about the frostshock thing on the ushers. i'm going to try this. if it works, hot diggity.

same goes for the free action potions. god, i hope that one works.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

thorn wrote:butt tank? what does this mean? how can you tank him from behind him and make him face away? heh.

also, i didn't know about the frostshock thing on the ushers. i'm going to try this. if it works, hot diggity.

I had to look it up. It doesn't mean stand behind the mob, it means turn your back to the mob or "butt-tank"

So, what I think they meant was to turn your back before Moroes Gouges. Then, it will fail, because it is a frontal attack. I think this combined with the BoSac trick will make this very doable.
Spudge_Boy

Postby guillex » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Spudge_Boy wrote:
thorn wrote:butt tank? what does this mean? how can you tank him from behind him and make him face away? heh.

I had to look it up. It doesn't mean stand behind the mob, it means turn your back to the mob or "butt-tank"

So, what I think they meant was to turn your back before Moroes Gouges. Then, it will fail, because it is a frontal attack. I think this combined with the BoSac trick will make this very doable.

And hopefully you don't get critted.

Though ... that does translate into regained mana ... so yeah.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Guillex wrote:And hopefully you don't get critted.

Though ... that does translate into regained mana ... so yeah.

Yeah, it does sound a little scary. You would lose your Holy Shield wouldn't you? Since yoiur shield "goes away" when you turn your back?

But, Moroes does hit like a wimp. It is his special attacks that are a pain.
Spudge_Boy

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:17 pm

You won't get crit from the back as long as your defense is up to snuff. Only avoidance is affected from being hit in the back.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:20 pm

inthedrops wrote:You won't get crit from the back as long as your defense is up to snuff. Only avoidance is affected from being hit in the back.

Think he meant crushed, but yes this is true.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:27 pm

inthedrops wrote:You won't get crit from the back as long as your defense is up to snuff. Only avoidance is affected from being hit in the back.

Well, I am about 500 def right now. So, that won't be a prob.
Spudge_Boy

Postby Katatonia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Butt-tanking Moroes is generally a druid thing. Bears are large enough that they can face away from him to prevent the gouge while still meleeing to maintain aggro. I'm not sure that a paladin can do it and still hold Moroes' attention, but I've never tried. I just focus target the first garrote victim and use a /cast [target=focus] Blessing of Sacrifice macro. Whoever is #2 on aggro needs to be aware of that fact and move to max possible range to give garrote time to break gouge when it happens (assuming they are someone who can't take a hit).

Stewards - easy, if your healers are paying attention you won't die even if drunk

Ushers - always a pain, but it's only 2 pulls (the solo pat should never be an issue)

Old Crone Chess Event - why? there's only one mob that needs to be tanked in this fight, and even that only lasts a minute until Tinman is so slow that you can kite him the rest of the time. Strawman gets burned, Roar gets feared, Dorothee can't be tanked, and Tito is only a threat if he's being tanked by a priest.

Robots before Curator - these should always be double-tanked by one person to prevent a tank from getting the explode-the-raid debuff anyway

Netherspite - yup, this will suck

Squishies after Chess Event - Cleanse removes the only thing they do that is a threat.
Katatonia

Postby thorn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Katatonia wrote:Old Crone Chess Event - why? there's only one mob that needs to be tanked in this fight, and even that only lasts a minute until Tinman is so slow that you can kite him the rest of the time. Strawman gets burned, Roar gets feared, Dorothee can't be tanked, and Tito is only a threat if he's being tanked by a priest.

wow. that's way more complicated that we do it.

just set kill order and consecrate, imo.

EDIT: but whatever works, works...
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Katatonia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:47 pm

thorn wrote:
Katatonia wrote:Old Crone Chess Event - why? there's only one mob that needs to be tanked in this fight, and even that only lasts a minute until Tinman is so slow that you can kite him the rest of the time. Strawman gets burned, Roar gets feared, Dorothee can't be tanked, and Tito is only a threat if he's being tanked by a priest.

wow. that's way more complicated that we do it.

just set kill order and consecrate, imo.

EDIT: but whatever works, works...

Sure if the group lacks the CC for Oz, I have no problem just tanking it all. But Roar's AE fear is annoying so why not fear him if there's a lock? Same with Strawman; any half-decent fire mage can solo him before the raid kills Dorothee, Tito, and Roar so you might as well let him do it.

And I guess I just wouldn't recommend "just tank it all" to someone asking what they can and can't tank. You do stuff like that when you don't need to ask anymore.
Katatonia

Postby thorn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Katatonia wrote:And I guess I just wouldn't recommend "just tank it all" to someone asking what they can and can't tank. You do stuff like that when you don't need to ask anymore.

very good point.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Dazhbog » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Easily solo tankable, having done it a couple of times.

Backwards tanking Moroes - Put your back to him, keep Consecrate up and spam JoR on him. HS is useless, so don't waste mana on it. Have the melee DPS eat gouges; if they get gouged, spin around really fast, Exo, and turn your back to him again. If you get garroted, switch to forward tanking, since the garrote tick is quick enough to snap gouge before Moroes eats someone (most of the time).

Ushers - Shackle one, kill the other, have a rogue/OT fill in (feral druid) second on the aggro list. OR, if you have two priests, and one of them is quick enough, shackle after Ice Tomb. Or use grounding totem.

Netherspite - use two rogues, or two ferals, rogue and feral, DPS warrior, etc. We found it easier to use two people, one stays in until 20 debuffs, then switch, since having non tanks dance the beam can wind up killing them.

Everything else, just double/triple tank it. Make sure you pull the big blueberries right before Curator with AS, and taunt after they blink; they should be dead after that.
Dazhbog

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm

You can moon moroes and tank him if you're overgeared. Judgment doesn't require facing, just line of sight. So consecration, judgment and an occasional jump-spin-exorcism and you pretty much only lose autoattack.

Once you get garroted, all you need to do is make sure everyone is at max range and you can tank him normally without any risk.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents