Remove Advertisements

So, how many Kara Bosses can a Tankadin (me) Single Tank

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

So, how many Kara Bosses can a Tankadin (me) Single Tank

Postby Spudge_Boy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:31 pm

So, I found out this last weekend that my buddy the Warrior Tank can't make it to our Kara raid. Our guild just started up another Kara gorup, so I don't want to steal tanks.

The other 9 members want to run it still, but I just don't know if we will get another tank in time. So, I came to the folks who would know. How many of the bosses can a Tankadin do on his own, tkaing into consideration that I have just about every piece of tanking gear found in Kara and I have a lot of the 2.3 badge gear.

Thanks for the help.

I should be wearing my tanking gear in the Armory.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Grunck

I do have two sets of gear. I have a block set and a dodge set. So, I can mix and match as needed.
Spudge_Boy

Postby Mizak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:39 pm

All of them, although as you already know you don't tank bosses like Aran.

My gear isn't even at your level and I've tanked and killed Prince.
Mizak

Postby Spudge_Boy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Mizak wrote:All of them, although as you already know you don't tank bosses like Aran.

My gear isn't even at your level and I've tanked and killed Prince.

That is where I was leaning. I always underestimate myself and then pull stuff off and everybody is like "See, we said you could do it."

I guess that is betyter than thinking I am all bad ass and doing stupid stuff.

The only one I am still thinking will be a pain is Moroes and his love for Gouging the tank. Will Stoneform work on the Gouge? It works on Garrote. I guess the other is a fast bubble-in/bubble-out.
Spudge_Boy

Postby thorn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:07 pm

just designate a warlock or something and replace his salv with blessing of sacrifice every thirty seconds. that way, you can be sure he will be second on threat list (because salv is off) and when moroes gouges you and hits him, the blessing of sacrifice will damage you and take gouge off you again. just make sure he is watching his threat; he can't be at 129% of your threat. he needs to be under 90% of your threat to ensure that moroes runs back to you after hitting him. he needs to be standing next to you, as well, so that both of you are within melee range of moroes.

you are gonna have a tough time with those two dudes on either side of the wall in moroes' room, though. they are the ones that stun you with that drunkenness effect. when they do, they can make quick work of you. double-tanking these is more luck than anything.

you also might have a hard time with the double sentry pull right before curator's hall.

finally, those worms after the double sentry pull mana drain, and holding aggro on the big guy in each pack can be hard with no mana. make sure you are cleansing yourself every global cooldown if possible.

oh yeah, those dudes that ice-tomb you right after you finish maiden could be a problem, too. you can bubble in/out of that, too, or you can have everybody >not< use any dots and have a priest ready to shackle the mob as soon as he ice-tombs you so that you can wait out the stun. again, this will require your team to pay attention and stop dps when you get ice-tombed. it's doable, though.

everything else is solo tankable, iirc, including romeo and juliette.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby sweeney » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Seconding BoSac on a designated target for Moroes, it works great. Turn Evil no longer seems to reset the encounter if you get unlucky (looks like even one mob staying in the room keeps the encounter going).

The stewards that make you drunk, I believe Free Action potions work on those. Wear your highest HP/AC set for those pulls and cross your fingers. They also work on the hammer of justice from the ret pally add, so I keep a stack of them any time I'm going to have to solotank the place.

We've handled the ushers by shackling one, having a hunter or mage stay #2 on threat, and kiting them until a second priest can shackle them -- it's ugly but doable. (Generally if you have 2 priests and dont use dots on ushers, you can shackle the one you're fighting during Ice Tomb.) Things like a rogue evasion tanking or a shaman's Grounding Totem work too. In general for moroes and the ushers, if you don't have an OT you definately want a priest in the raid, 2 is even better.

Nothing else in the place is particularly scary to solo tank even if your gear isn't fantastic. I'd just skip Netherspite, but you can use a holy paladin or someone in mail as the offtank.

It's funny -- due to noshows I once solo-tanked Moroes with no priests and only 6 people in the raid (that was an ugly fight), but people still ask "Are you really going to tank Attumen and his horse?!! AT THE SAME TIME?" I think they do it just to screw with me.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Pizbit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 am

thorn wrote:just designate a warlock or something and replace his salv with blessing of sacrifice every thirty seconds. that way, you can be sure he will be second on threat list (because salv is off) and when moroes gouges you and hits him, the blessing of sacrifice will damage you and take gouge off you again. just make sure he is watching his threat; he can't be at 129% of your threat. he needs to be under 90% of your threat to ensure that moroes runs back to you after hitting him. he needs to be standing next to you, as well, so that both of you are within melee range of moroes.

you are gonna have a tough time with those two dudes on either side of the wall in moroes' room, though. they are the ones that stun you with that drunkenness effect. when they do, they can make quick work of you. double-tanking these is more luck than anything.

you also might have a hard time with the double sentry pull right before curator's hall.

finally, those worms after the double sentry pull mana drain, and holding aggro on the big guy in each pack can be hard with no mana. make sure you are cleansing yourself every global cooldown if possible.

oh yeah, those dudes that ice-tomb you right after you finish maiden could be a problem, too. you can bubble in/out of that, too, or you can have everybody >not< use any dots and have a priest ready to shackle the mob as soon as he ice-tombs you so that you can wait out the stun. again, this will require your team to pay attention and stop dps when you get ice-tombed. it's doable, though.

everything else is solo tankable, iirc, including romeo and juliette.

Nah the sentries don't hit hard at all, plus he'll be receiving more healing since it's just him to heal.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby ulushnar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:40 am

How good are your healers?

I don't want to know their stats or see their armory profiles, but how good are they? Because that's pretty much the defining factor on how much you can tank until you outgear the place (which I'm assuming you don't since you're asking).

If they're decent, then you should be fine for multi-tanking most of the instance. Only problems Are with Moroes (the BoSac trick works) Ushers (you can bubble/PVP trinky out of the tomb, or priests can spam-shackle the loose Usher) and Netherspite (you need someone with decent armor health to take the second red Beam unless they're really on the ball).
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby sweeney » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 am

I agree with Ulu. The bad nights I've had in Kara always involve a healer spacing out and forgetting to heal me, me dying on trash, and having to put on a high-avoidance set and drink after every pull just to stay up. We brought in a guild alliance priest once and the moron was PVP disc spec or something and thought Renew was enough for a tank with four mobs on him -- our poor holy paladin basically solohealed me solotanking Lower Kara. (We punted and left after Opera because some things are not worth suffering through.)

As long as they can get on board with the idea that, yes, sometimes they'll have to spam-heal the tank but the tradeoff is that the entire run goes faster, you'll be fine.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 am

Sweeney wrote:As long as they can get on board with the idea that, yes, sometimes they'll have to spam-heal the tank but the tradeoff is that the entire run goes faster, you'll be fine.

Heh, they better be spam healing me. :lol:

Thanks for the great ideas. I am a dwarf, so my Stoneform helps with the Stewards before Moroes. But that's only for one, gonna need heals for the second.

The Ushers will probably be a pain also. We should have at least one priest and I have a Holy Pally as a second plate wearer, but I am not sure she is confortable being up front.

But, I don't think that either of these pairs of mobs resets if there is a wipe, so we would only be dealing with one if that happens.
Spudge_Boy

Postby sapientialb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 am

The only other place I'd be wary of is the double pulls of flesh beasts after Chess.

They have a gouge or something that does 1K hp a tick and it stacks between them which can end up just a bit messy.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Spudge_Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 am

sapientialb wrote:The only other place I'd be wary of is the double pulls of flesh beasts after Chess.

They have a gouge or something that does 1K hp a tick and it stacks between them which can end up just a bit messy.

Oh yeah, two sets of those. :?

So, this looks like the stuff that can be a pain.

Stewards
Moroes
Ushers
Old Crone Chess Event
Robots before Curator
Netherspite
Squishies after Chess Event

The group I run with has been running together for a long time and run other stuff together when we aren't raiding. I have a lot of confidence in them, so I think it will be doable. We will just have a couple of extra pain on some of the stuff.
Spudge_Boy

Postby plisken451 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 am

The trick we used on the ushers when I was solo tanking and we didn't even have a priest for shackle, was for the hunter to misdirect the 2nd usher to his pet which was parked at the staircase at the end of the ballroom. Usher takes 3 days running to the pet, kills it, and starts running back. By that time, the first usher is dead. Works like a charm.
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am

Pretty much All bosses other than netherspite are solo-tankable.

If you're not overgeared, you'll want a second tank for Moroes, Opera(Oz / Julianne). If you are overgeared, you can just tank-em-all, all the time.
Butt-tank Moroes to avoid gouges and cleanse frost shock from ushers(they don't seem to icetomb if you don't have Frost Shock on you), tank all at once on Oz(initial threat on roar and tank tinman/crone/tito), focus on Julianne(holy shield > romulo), and enjoy the ride.

If you're in a badgazan race, usually dps is so high tito doesn't even spawn.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby plisken451 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 am

If you're in a badgazan race, usually dps is so high tito doesn't even spawn.

Hehe, ya. The last time we got Oz, I'm running around with Roar, Tinhead, and frantically looking for Tito, to pick him up. My assistant says, "Um...We killed Dorothy so fast he never spawned" That really made me happy.
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Lookit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:34 am

I had OT'd a couple Kara runs with an overgeared warrior as MT. Last week, he decided to bring his warlock alt and give me the honor of MTing the whole run.

Overall, it was nice and easy and totally a blast. I was able to AoE tank all the trash and bosses, with the following exceptions:

-Moroes: we had a feral druid OT, although I'm confident I could have solo'd him with the BoSac trick others have posted here.

-Ushers: my buddy hopped on his warrior for these pulls (who was parked outside) just to eliminate any headache. Free action pots help, along with PvP trinket, bubble, and the nifty hunter trick someone else posted here.

-Opera: We had R&J, and my buddy decided to hop on his warrior just to make it easy, although I'm certain I could have tanked them both.

-Netherspite: Again, my friend hopped on his warrior to take the second red beam, although anyone in high armor can do it. Just make sure they know to dance out of the beam to prevent it from stacking too high.

The rest was all easy as pie, and it was a fast, smooth run. We had two warlocks and they just spammed Seed on all the trash pulls. The double sentinel pull before Curator was no trouble at all, and the mana wyrm / elemental packs right before him were easy as well. Just frontload all your aggro because your mana is going to be gone soon anyways, and taunt the big guy when he goes for someone else.

The double flesh beast pulls were a great place to use my Lucky Pocket Watch, which I picked up earlier in the run. Do whatever you can do to survive the first 10-15 seconds of the pull while they are both beating on you. Once one dies, you're in the clear.

Good luck, and have fun!
Lookit

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents