Ok having some issues here with the pally taunt.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Ok having some issues here with the pally taunt.

Postby ZarX » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:48 am

Ok so how exactly does this work? My main is a warrior so this 3 target taunt off someone is kinda weird for me...So how exactly does this work ive heard so many different things ive kind of gotten lost. Please help.

Thanks.
ZarX

Re: Ok having some issues here with the pally taunt.

Postby Pizbit » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:43 am

ZarX wrote:Ok so how exactly does this work? My main is a warrior so this 3 target taunt off someone is kinda weird for me...So how exactly does this work ive heard so many different things ive kind of gotten lost. Please help.

Thanks.

You taunt 3 mobs that are on the player you have targeted to attack you.
It is a ranged taunt.

With a macro if you're targeting a mob you can hit taunt and it'll act something like the warrior taunt, but taking 3 mobs off the mobs target. If 4 or more mobs are on that mobs target you may not get the mob you're targeting.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby antiy4ho0 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:51 am

on a somewhat similar note does anyone else find our taunt unreliable? I've had times where I hit taunt, my Cooldown is used, I don't see the little *taunted* icon above the mobs head and I don't see any resist/immune text either. So now I have to hope that:

Its a physical mob
Blessing of protection is on cooldown

This happens to me usually at least once per instance.

(Sorry for the semi- highjacking)
antiy4ho0

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:57 am

That happens cause the mob changed target in the moment you pressed RD.

On a additional note, since the patch you don't need a macro anymore, RD will automatically target the target's target if used on a hostile being.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thanehand » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 am

You can:

A) Target a player and cast RD. This will pick three (random?) mobs attacking that player and taunt them to you.

B) Target a mob and cast RD. The game will the work out the mobs target, then pick that mob + up to 2 more mobs targeting that player and taunt them onto you.

So to pick 3 random mobs off a player target the player and RD.
To Taunt a specific mob target it and RD.

Pally's are totally geared to AOE tanking tho, so don't expect to ever taunt a single mob in Multi pack situations.

Lastly, this still works by (eventually) using a Friendly Unit to taunt from. This if fine normally, and should work nearly all the time. There are exceptions however, such as the NPCs in Mount Hyjal. You can't cast anything on them, so you can' taunt a mob hitting an NPC. A warrior or Druid will have to taunt it off first...
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:53 am

While RD won't make it's way to the npcs in Hyjal, if you taunt off an npc there it will work. It's the main change to RD in this patch.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Eanin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 am

Snake-Aes wrote:While RD won't make it's way to the npcs in Hyjal, if you taunt off an npc there it will work. It's the main change to RD in this patch.

I tried that on the weekend, and it didn't work. I'm not sure if maybe I got a resist (It's hard to tell with all the action), but RD has been buggy since the patch.
Eanin

Postby mazater » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 am

Pizbit wrote:With a macro if you're targeting a mob you can hit taunt and it'll act something like the warrior taunt, but taking 3 mobs off the mobs target. If 4 or more mobs are on that mobs target you may not get the mob you're targeting.

As of 2.4, you do not need a macro to do so.
mazater

Postby Spectrum » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 am

Huh, guess I can get rid of my macro then.

And yes, our taunt targets players, not mobs. So if the mob is close to you and the player is far away you can get an out-of-range error because you are too far away from the player you want to save.

If you use RD targeting a mob and it doesn't have another player as a target you'll get the glowy hand, which is handy for clicking on player frames if you don't want to pick out the mob that is targeting them.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Eanin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Mazater wrote:
Pizbit wrote:With a macro if you're targeting a mob you can hit taunt and it'll act something like the warrior taunt, but taking 3 mobs off the mobs target. If 4 or more mobs are on that mobs target you may not get the mob you're targeting.

As of 2.4, you do not need a macro to do so.

Really? I wasn't aware of this. That's good to know.
Eanin

Postby Eliane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Worldie wrote:That happens cause the mob changed target in the moment you pressed RD.

On a additional note, since the patch you don't need a macro anymore, RD will automatically target the target's target if used on a hostile being.

Mega-annoying on Kalecgos! It should just work on the mob and then taunt 2 extra off of his target imo. This and the long CD are my only annoyances as a paladin tank at the moment.
Eliane

Postby Pane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:05 am

I'm actually not so thrilled about the changes. The most likely situation when I need to snap back agro is in a multimob situation with.. distractable dps-ers; IE a mob peels off (not my current tanked target)

Used to be that hitting RD would put the taunt on your mouse and you could click whoever's taking dmg in your party window. Now just hitting RD will taunt my current target, which most likely was focussed on me already anyway.

Any one have a macro that will put RD back on my mouse? 8)
Pane

Postby Everlight » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:27 am

Get Clique, and put RD on shift-click. Then just shift-click on the person in your raid frames and you RD off them :)
Everlight

Postby Airanna » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 pm

If you hit your RD and your target is already focused on you, you get the 'glowy hand' and can click on any party member to taunt off them. If you hit RD and your target is targetting a different party member or buffable NPC, it taunts off THEM. If you hit RD and you are targetting a non-buffable NPC, you get the 'glowy hand' but can still click on that NPC to target off them.
Airanna

Postby Tzuma » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Airanna wrote:If you hit your RD and your target is already focused on you, you get the 'glowy hand' and can click on any party member to taunt off them. If you hit RD and your target is targetting a different party member or buffable NPC, it taunts off THEM. If you hit RD and you are targetting a non-buffable NPC, you get the 'glowy hand' but can still click on that NPC to target off them.
I was pleasantly surprised when I realized this the other day. The extra bit of coding to make sure a target already aggrod on you doesnt 'eat' your RD was very appreciated.
Tzuma

Return to Basic Training & Talents