2.4 Can't Kill VR !

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Arianne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 pm

Make sure people run 'away' towards the walls and not side to side. We always had issues with the animation lagging the cast. It's something I think they're trying to fix but haven't yet.

If you have enough CoH priests/resto shaman you should be fine with everyone standing in melee range (with the VE trinket).
Arianne

Postby Huon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 am

Hum, they havent fixed a damned thing.

we had to skip him again -.-

On a sidenote, are you guy's Omen working? ours dont seem to sync anymore, I only see like 3 ppl 0.o?
Huon

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 am

That's mostly a version conflict. best results for myy raid was getting everyoen the standalone Threat2 lib before Omen
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Dazhbog » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 pm

The big problem we had on him wasn't running away (that's easy) but invisible orbs/orbs that weren't where the graphics were. THAT kinda shit is annoying. I don't think we'll be killing him until that, at least, is cleared up.

Moving everyone into the pummel is an interesting suggestion, though.
Dazhbog

Postby mclem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:59 am

We tried that yesterday. It appears that if there's no-one at range to orb, he'll happily orb the folks in the middle. We were having the problem mentioned earlier that some people were adamant that the explosions were occurring before the orb was anywhere near the target, which just rendered our DPS unusable.

We downed him with a small modification from that strategy, though. Took a few folks who could be adequate with instants (a hunter, a druid and a lock) and left them on the outside - for the whole fight they would just do laps of VR with the orbs hitting behind them. Everyone else was bundled into the middle.

We might actually make that a long-term strat; we had higher DPS than normal despite being 23-man at the start and having two DCs midfight.
mclem

Postby inthedrops » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:13 am

I posted earlier in this thread and we finally went in there after the patch. I put on my healing gear. We actually wiped the first go around because even though the raid leader warned everyone, and I repeated the warning, we still lost too many dps during the first try.

The raid leader almost called it but the raid convinced him to try again.

We killed him the second time. The main adjustment we made was to call things out better. For example, I stood near our "best" healer and warned her when she needed to move (because she was horrible during the first attempt). We still got hit with the occasional orb but it was much much better.

Incidentally, all the animations were working great for me! The fight is much more fun now and feels like we're playing it how it's meant to be played.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Gratus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 am

Unfortunetly most of the comments in this post are from people who have experienced VR prior to 2.4

Here are a few things they are overlooking:
1) There are confirmed "invisible" orbs
2) Orbs no longer crawl and actually move at more then a snails pace
3) Multiple Orbs coming at one person is one thing but 1 orb + an invisible orb is something that screws with people
4) Orbs do come in melee range

Last night after about 5 attempts my guild took down Void Reaver.
We are not a t6 guild by any means and as far as overall guild progression goes last night was our FIRST TIME in serious 25 man content.
We do have a few people with T5 experience and gear but most of the guild is t4 and badges.

Back to the initial page somebody asked if people considered coming inside his hit box and skipping the orbs all together....

THIS WORKS!

We brought all of our helears and tanks inside of the hit box as well as our melee DPS (duh!) and took him down while only losing 1 hunter

Part Set Up Was:
1) Prot Pally
2) Prot War
3) Prot War

4) Holy Priest
5) Holy Priest
6) Resto Shaman
7) Resto Shaman
8) Resto Shaman
9) Holy Pld
10) Holy Pld
11) Holy Pld

12) Shadow Priest
13) Shadow Priest

14) Lock
15) Lock

16) Hunter
17) Hunter
18) Hunter

19) Mage
20) Mage
21) Mage

22) Feral (cat) Druid
23) Rogue
24) Rogue
25) Rogue

It is still a simple fight but the strat has changed. If you have any questions on the fight overall feel free to PM me and I can help you with our strat.

2 Notes:

1) Omen has issues reading the threat reduction on tanks during kick
2) Orbs had a tendency of going after the Ranged DPS who was highest on the agro list (not confirmed but we saw this frequently)
Gratus

Postby NarfJones » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:36 am

Doesn't his AoE kill everyone if they are in melee range? I'm pretty sure it hurts quite a bit.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Gratus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 am

No it does not we were barely seeing our priests take 4k damage as well people outside of the melee range should equip there Violet Badge Trinket as the arcane resistance was significant in most peoples opinions
Gratus

Postby kalbear » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 am

His pummel does hurt, but it's a lot easier for everyone to heal through that some times than it is to heal a random person taking 8k damage because of invisible orbs + orb.

We've been able to take him down using the normal strategy and having people watch out more, but it's still dicey and we rarely one-shot him. Our best strategy is to have at least one shaman chain healing while sitting in the melee area for the entire fight. That saves the rest of the melee and lets them do sick DPS, which is usually enough to beat the enrage timer.

But even then, a lot of people die. Some people run side to side, and that gets everyone more orbs so they can either not do anything or they die. Some people don't run fast enough. Some times orbs will just appear and explode. Resistance gear is useful here, but really - it's now an annoying fight where no amount of paying attention can save you sometimes.
kalbear

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 am

NarfJones wrote:Doesn't his AoE kill everyone if they are in melee range? I'm pretty sure it hurts quite a bit.
Not much, I think 4k damage? our sturdier healers all stand in there(and shadow priests). gives our hunters and priests and caster dps more space around him to work with.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby mazater » Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 am

What we do while killing VR is teh following:

Melee DPS stands inside VR the whole time (the orbs wont hit melee that way iirc) and ranged DPS uses " /console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4 " or SpartanUI to zoom the camera all the way, helps a lot while avoiding the orbs.

I got hit by one orb last time we did VR(I was healbotting) /o/

Oh, btw, the AoE he does is arcane damage aswell as the orbs, violet badge (karazhan arcane ress trinket) helps quite a bit here.
mazater

Postby Holyfuri » Fri May 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Yea we have considered it and it is our working strat for him, but you really need overgeared healers for that to work, it's alot more healing intensive overall, plus casters get knockbacks in casts.
Holyfuri

Postby Tekkel » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 am

It's really easy with everyone in melee now though. Have your casters put up some more hp gear and/or less interrupt gear. Like mage 2 set tier4 bonus. Have your pallies run conc aura in caster groups and with some coh priests and shammies u can easily keep up the groups.

Did it with a mix of tier6 and alt people and managed it this way with 3 ranged running around doing instants on the boss. Just make sure noone moves out of melee range of the boss and those ranged people don't get to close to the melee camp.
Tekkel

Postby Widdox » Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 am

Everyone in Melee range except 2 shadow priests and a moonkin. They each picked a third of the room and just watched for orbs and dodged them.

We chose the shadow priests and the moonkins cause they could heal themselves if they got in trouble. Worked like a charm. We did have 1 Circle of Healing Priest, and he got all three inervates.
Widdox

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep