Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby agnara » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Invisusira wrote:Am I ready to tank Prince?

No, you got too low spelldmg :P
agnara

Location: Somewhere, thinking about something, most likely off-topic.

Postby Lothlan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 pm

I'll go second I guess. Only been 70 for a little under three weeks. Armory is linked below. Got lucky last Kara :D

Our usual tank Full T4 druid has re-rolled a warrior to MT since we didn't have a reliable one who is also just 70 so I'm having to MT Kara tonight. Just want to make sure I look fine for Nightbane/Prince :)
Lothlan

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Lothlan wrote:I'll go second I guess. Only been 70 for a little under three weeks. Armory is linked below. Got lucky last Kara :D

Our usual tank Full T4 druid has re-rolled a warrior to MT since we didn't have a reliable one who is also just 70 so I'm having to MT Kara tonight. Just want to make sure I look fine for Nightbane/Prince :)

Yup.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Sithy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:54 pm

omg, pick me, pick me!

http://armorylite.com/us/Icecrown/Sithie
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Sithie

Can I tank... um something? :D

What pieces would be a decent upgrade?
(And don't say gloves because Champion only drops for my other characters.)
I do have Unwavering and Stoic Guardian, I'm in my tanking SD set atm though.
Thinking the new badge legs and ring, nothing else really stands out as "OMG GET ME".
Think I should get a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034 made? With vortex's from badges I'm sure I can find a crafter among my friends in other guilds.
Sithy

Postby Lothlan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:07 pm

Hey Sil, I've got the belt and love it, just don't have the supporting gear yet to use it with stuff that can crush me :(

Adds some nice stam and the SD is nice.
Lothlan

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Guillex wrote:It's all situational. Plus, in Kelaan's case, he/she's not even uncrit yet ... and the Untamed will do MUCH more in terms of reaching that first goal than the Chain will.

Guillex wrote:While stacking Block Rating is the quickest way to reach uncrushable, you're really aiming towards uncrittable right now. It's going to help you the most in 5mans... And is easier to get to than uncrushable is.

Thank you for the reality check. (: I had lost sight of that. In that case, I really should have my Mark of the Ravenguard on until I get the Revered neckpiece, since the +defense will help me avoid being critted, right?

(also, it's a He. ;))
Kelaan

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Guillex wrote:It's all situational. Plus, in Kelaan's case, he/she's not even uncrit yet ... and the Untamed will do MUCH more in terms of reaching that first goal than the Chain will.

Guillex wrote:While stacking Block Rating is the quickest way to reach uncrushable, you're really aiming towards uncrittable right now. It's going to help you the most in 5mans... And is easier to get to than uncrushable is.

Thank you for the reality check. (: I had lost sight of that. In that case, I really should have my Mark of the Ravenguard on until I get the Revered neckpiece, since the +defense will help me avoid being critted, right?

(also, it's a He. ;))

Yessir. Be 485 defense for normal/heroics (though 490 is a bit better for the heroic dungeons), and then start working on uncrushability... Once you have your defense capped (ie: 485/490), it's easier to see where you can juggle avoidance/mitigation/stamina instead of defense.

Take this:

You're sitting at 102.4%, but are still 489 defense... You're gonna get critted in raids, bar none.

But, if you're sitting at 500 defense, and are 2% crushable ... you have a bit of room to play around with your defense rating (about 10 points) so that you can make up that uncrushable, and still be uncrittable.

See what I mean? (Rough numbers, I know...)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 pm

Ok, I guess I'll be next.

Here is my armory link Karura.

My guild is currently gearing people up to start running our own 25 man raids. We are looking at doing Gruuls, Magtheridon and maybe poking our noses into SSC and TK for the early bosses. Am I ready to start tanking at that level?? I have tanked all of Kara, the first two bosses of ZA and been OT/Hatefull Strike tank for Gruuls with no issues.

What upgrades should I be looking for next. I know the PvP mace would be an upgrade but I hate PvP so my motivation fades after 1-2 BGs. So other than that what else should I be looking for the most?
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Erendis wrote:Ok, I guess I'll be next.

Here is my armory link Karura.

My guild is currently gearing people up to start running our own 25 man raids. We are looking at doing Gruuls, Magtheridon and maybe poking our noses into SSC and TK for the early bosses. Am I ready to start tanking at that level?? I have tanked all of Kara, the first two bosses of ZA and been OT/Hatefull Strike tank for Gruuls with no issues.

What upgrades should I be looking for next. I know the PvP mace would be an upgrade but I hate PvP so my motivation fades after 1-2 BGs. So other than that what else should I be looking for the most?

If you're doing the first two bosses of ZA ... try for a timed chest run, and hopefully you'll get the Pauldrons of Stone Resolve.

Also, get the Amani Punisher from the eagle boss.

Try and get the shield changed ... Either the one from ZA (Bulwark of the Amani Empire off of Akil'zon), or an ALD from Gruul's.

If I were you, I'd actually change the enchant on your cloak to either Defense or Dodge, if you can get either on your server. That should give you some wiggle room with gems for more stam.

Try for Maiden's gauntlets, as they're a better MT piece.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby SSJPred » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm looking to start tanking Kara..

Does it look like I would be effective at doing the job?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Ssjpred
SSJPred

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Guillex! Those items were pretty much what I've been gunning for. Glad to know I'm on the right track.

On a side note: It's been a bear trying to find someone to do Dodge to cloak. Might just have to wait 'till my buddy gets the defense enchant as I like that better anyways,
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby randomjibberish » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:46 pm

http://armorylite.com/us/blackrock/gourmet
(The armory isnt updated and I use the battleworn tuskguard for raid tanking)

[item=28516]Barbed Choker of Discipline[/item]
[item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item]
[item=30099]Frayed Tether of the Drowned[/item]

I currently have the Barbed Choker and the SSO pendant, however the Frayed Tether is obtainable. So a few questions:

1. Between the Barbed Choker and the SSO pendant, which would you prefer, and in which situations?
2. Is the Frayed Tether worth investing DKP in?
randomjibberish

Postby Aseirak » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:59 am

hi may i know what i SHOULD not be tanking apart from BT MH in my current gear.. ...

i know i need to upgrade but loot hasnt been kind to me. thanks for ur help in advance.

but i guess i rarely need to MT anything.. jus asking in case of any scenario.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Aseirak
Aseirak

Postby Kozue » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:06 am

Anyways, I tried tanking Prince for the 1st time tonight. We wiped 3 times or so, not sure if it was me being undergeared to blame, or what. So far, a full clear of Kara has yielded nothing but gears to our Priest which has been really painful to my gear progression. But anyways... question is:

Am I geared enough to tank Prince, or should I hold back before trying again?
http://armorylite.com/us/Onyxia/Kozue
Kozue

Postby Radon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:54 am

Hello,
- With the latest stuff i got from za, i felt uncomfortable with the decrease in my spell damage (292 unbuffed). So before i test it out in MH, i'd like to get some comments on it. Around what +spell do i need in t6 content ?
(i have t5 helm, t4 shoulders that i can replace with ZA helm&shoulders to increase +spell.)

- Do you suggest pocket watch over aqir artifact ?

- I'm unsure about +spell hit vs +spell crit. Do you suggest me using Amani Punisher or Fang of the Leviathan ?

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... Co&n=Radon

Thanks
Radon

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice