Reckoning vs Precision for hyjal Trash

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Reckoning vs Precision for hyjal Trash

Postby Arto » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:50 pm

Pretty much what the title says, reckoning or precision for hyjal trash
Arto

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Neither are that important for AoE tanking but...between the two I'd have to choose Precision.

What's your spec?
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Damoclès » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am

Take Both
Damoclès

Postby sweeney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 am

Yeah, I can't visualize an AOE tanking build that would have to choose between them. You'd have to tell us what you're prioritizing over it... Imp SotC? Pursuit of Justice? Divine Intellect? (Please don't say Divine Intellect.)
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Arto » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Forgot that my sig would have me as ret, I am 49/12 I Guess I did not really think of going far enough to get imp ret aura. I just chose reckoning cause I do not often end up tanking bosses and love it for AOE grinding.

Damoclès I really like your spec, but I have geared to much away from defense that I cant even get close to dropping alot of points in Anticipation. I have quite a bit of ZA/Badge gear keeping it low.

To Sweeny I would never think of getting Divine Intellect :shock: .
Arto

Postby Doktah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:58 pm

Damoclès wrote:Take Both

agreed, take them both
Doktah

Postby Lylith » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:33 am

I am also interested in some thoughts in how important precision is for a normal/heroic/Karazhan takadin. My build is like this

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIb0zggqtVbx

atm. If I moved the 3 points from precision to anticipation (or maybe just two of them), I would gain more def and could replace my Dabiri's Enigma with a second stamina trinket, boosting my hp by ~500. I do not need the def to reach the 490 limit, but it would help to remain uncrushable with buffs and without the Enigma.
I still have 5/5 reckoning because I think it is usefull for thread especially in 5mans.
Lylith

Postby Eneroth » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:00 am

You need at least 490 defense unbuffed. Why you ask, because you never know when you will get debuffed. But just take a look at my build in my sig, it's one of the few cookie cutter bulids out there.
Eneroth

Postby Lylith » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:31 am

I have enough def unbuffed.

I want to keep 5/5 reckoning (i am currently at the starting heroic and Karazhan level) for improved threat.

I have almost the same build as you, but without spell warding and with only 2/5 anticipation. If I go 5/5 anticipation, I could swap my Enigma (+32 def rating) with the rocket launcher and get roughly +500 hp.

I am just wondering if it is better to get as much def from talents (5/5 anticipation) so I can equip some stamina trinkets or other items with less defense (like the Gladiator's Shield Wall instead of the Shield of the Wayward Footman I am using now) or better pick all the def from items and only get as much def from anticipation as absolutely needed so I have more talent points to spend elsewhere (like reckoning or precision).
Lylith

Postby sweeney » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 am

Lylith - look around for the Reckoning Uptime thread. I've been going by its results -- using 3/5 reckoning instead of 5/5 -- and I barely notice a difference in uptime when I'm tanking multiple mobs. That'd give you 2 points freed up for your needs.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Lylith » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:58 pm

<3 !
Lylith

Postby Lev » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:48 am

Reckoning will help you like nothing at all during ae tanking. If you loose a mob on a seedspamming warlock, you'll propably loose another mob as well.

Since you will not be ae tanking all the time... in fact those situations are still very rare unless your guild keeps wiping on the first 4 bosses in hyjal for the whole week... taking precision is worth a lot more for threat generation. Not just because of the "hit" part of it... it's the spell-hit you want, especially for bosses this is just an bps increase of about 3,6% if you have no other spell hit equipped!
Also this will not only help you on bosses, it also almost closes the gap on lvl 70-72 mobs (hyjal trash mobs for example :p )

PS: Keep in mind: ae tanking is different from ae farming! If you solo a lot, reckoning would be nice for mana regen, but for tanking, there are superior talents!
Lev

Postby Bryne » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:23 am

Something that I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention is that theoretically, Precision will help you with taunt resists when those retard warlocks pull mobs off of you with SoC spam.
Bryne

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:50 am

Lev wrote:Reckoning will help you like nothing at all during ae tanking.

Incorrect.

You can very easily run out of mana while AOE tanking Hyjal. Reckoning helps quite a bit there. If you're not running out of mana, then you're probably taking a ton of damage, in which case Seal of Light + Reckoning will help quite a bit. Keep in mind that with 5-6 mobs on you, Reckoning will be up quite a bit.

It's also worth mentioning that Seal of Wisdom/Light give some AOE threat to all the mobs on you. It's not a lot, but it's more than nothing.

Also:

Not just because of the "hit" part of it... it's the spell-hit you want, especially for bosses this is just an bps increase of about 3,6% if you have no other spell hit equipped!

This is incorrect as well. Most Paladin threat abilities do not operate off of Spell Hit. Holy Shield and JoR are about it, and neither are a particularly large portion of a T6-progressed Tankadin's threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Bryne » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 am

Lore wrote:You can very easily run out of mana while AOE tanking Hyjal. Reckoning helps quite a bit there. If you're not running out of mana, then you're probably taking a ton of damage, in which case Seal of Light + Reckoning will help quite a bit. Keep in mind that with 5-6 mobs on you, Reckoning will be up quite a bit.

Wait, are you serious? The paltry amount of healing you're getting back from Seal of Light is nothing in comparison to ghouls hitting you for ~500 each and other mobs hitting harder. Saying that using SoL helps "quite a bit" is ridiculous.

Reckoning can help a little bit if you're using SoW to stay ahead on mana for the next wave, but overall Precision is probably the more useful talent when you're not AoE tanking trash in Hyjal.
Bryne

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents