Remove Advertisements

Magtheridon 2.4

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Magtheridon 2.4

Postby Robbert » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am

We got our first look at the nerfed Magtheridon last night and this boss is now definately worth running. The nerfs were significant to where it seemed there is much less that can go wrong with less Infernals, longer cast times by the Channelers, and only one clicking team needed.

My observations from the run as the MT;

I tanked the first 2 channelers to die which is very doable allowing for only 4 tanks in this fight. If we'd had a solid dps warrior I probably could have tanked the 2nd and 3rd channelers to die and still had time to pick up Mag, although this would be very dependant on all the Dark Mendings being countered.

No getting around this, Magtheridon himself still hits like a truck so consumables to increase your health and survivability are still useful. The only item that I was using that didn't follow this was my new Battlemaster trinket, but I included that to better handle the 30% transition. Once we hit the 30% transition I popped the trinket (hello 1750 additional health), a nightmare seed (hello 2000 additional health), refreshed Holy Shield, then self cast LoH after taking the big hit from debris. Was awesome to see myself at nearly 25000 health! After that it was clean sailing.

We hadn't realized that his gem bag includes Epic gems in addition to Rares, just one more reason to keep getting Mag into our rotation.
Robbert

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

Yup. a full clear in mag's place + mag barely takes 40 minutes , and that with resuming the fight before the attempt for the new guys.

The lesser infernals thing REALLY helped. I used to focus solely on infernal control, now i'm a dedicated clicker.

Cube clicking was easy already before =/ I don't understand how people could wipe on it when the only real difference is that you needed 2 people instead of one to do it.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Robbert » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:59 am

I think the diffuculty there is when he begins to channel immediately after a Quake. In some of our first (pre 2.4) attempts we've had clickers pushed half way across the room by a Quake. At the very least it can push someone slightly out of position.
Robbert

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:18 am

Haven't happened to me that he started quaking and casting at the same time. In the possibility that a dedicated clicker was at the cube, and didn't try to coutnermove the quake, and mag casted nova right after quake, you'd still have like 3 seconds.

There is one big precaution for dedicated cube clickers: 10~ seconds before the cooldown, go to your cube and do what you can to stay there. That alone boosts said time from 3s to like the full cast time.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby thejuice » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:21 pm

we did this last night with only 3 tanks. our warrior tanked one, and me and another prot pally tanked 2 each.
thejuice

Postby Everlight » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Stand with the platform the cube is on between you and Magtheridon, and with the cube itself in the way and the quake hardly moves you at all.
Everlight

Postby Achtung » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 pm

We'll be hitting this tonight. It was pretty weaksauce before, but the extra loot will be nice.

He still has a shitty loot table though.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby NarfJones » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:02 pm

If anyone asks how much the damage has been nerfed, I tanked the last two channelers with three broken pieces of gear and the PLG.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Refute » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Achtung wrote:We'll be hitting this tonight. It was pretty weaksauce before, but the extra loot will be nice.

Don't worry, he'll probably be dropping a few hundred badges per kill by next patch, lol. :P
Refute

Postby NarfJones » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Achtung wrote:We'll be hitting this tonight. It was pretty weaksauce before, but the extra loot will be nice.

Well, as it will now only take a decently geared guild 30-45 minutes to clear him, it's not a bad venture for 3 badges, the 20 slot bag, and gearing alts.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby ehly » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Did this for the first time in months. The new infernals and click mechanic alone made this an easy run. We even took in many blue-kara geared alts with some normal raiders. Was a quick 1 shot.

The bag of Gems for us make it worth fitting it in on an off day for a little while. MH has not been very nice to us for gems. The 19g and several badges to each person was also a nice surprise.

Even before the 2.4 when I was still mostly in blues I could tank 2 channelers. I didn't really notice a difference, but been a long time.
ehly

Postby spiky_porcupine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:35 am

Oh, one funny thing we did in our guild one try. I tanked ALL the channelers pre-2.4 and we had 2 interrupters on each channeler to get bolts & heals.

It was funny when the leader came up with the strat. Everyone thought I would be the first to die, but I was the last one to die >.>
Spikybunny:
Level 70 Draenai Protection Paladin
Spirestone
spiky_porcupine

3 tanks is now the normal way to do this

Postby ldeboer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Most guilds use the 3 tank method it gives max room for error

1st channeller: Dps warrior, rogue, druid can tank doesnt hit hard
2nd channeler: MT tanks gets in position for mag after its dead
3rd channeller: Any reasonable geared OT starts to hit harder
4th & 5th channeller: Good OT one chaneller MD'ed onto him and will need 2 healers at end. The channellers will heal each other a rogue should be interrupt duty on the 5th channeller while on the 4th.

The reasons for this are simple.

1) 3 tanks means more room for DPS in raid
2) Even if your raid is really slow on DPS you should have 3 channellers down by mag breakout only 2 healers are committed to holding up OT the rest should be on MT who now has Mag.
3) Keeps raid together and last few infernals in one area which is much easier.
ldeboer

Postby Kaasa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:46 am

We got in and tried Magtheridon, went down first try me MT'ing maggy. Tank and spank when the channelers is down!

So fucking easy!
Kaasa
<Ronín>
Level 80
Protection Paladin
Darksorrow (EU)
Kaasa

Postby Zeels » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Yeah our guild is going ssc in a week or so. We are geared with t4 and badge loot, we actually manage to get all 5 channelers down before he breaks loose with 20 ppls.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag