Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Postby Lore » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 am

This thread serves as a place to ask quick gear-related questions that don't need their own thread, such as "Am I ready to tank Prince?" or "Which of these two items should I use?" In order to help answer questions, please include an Armory link (something like http://www.armorylite.com would be preferred).

As a suggestion, if you'd like others to review your armory, return the favor and toss some ideas someone else's way.

Thanks!

Q: Should I post here or create a new thread?
A: Are you asking for help specific to you, or in general?

Should I buy X? Post here.
How can I boost my health? Post here.
Is piece A better than piece B for me? Post here.
Is piece A better than piece B for everyone? Create a new thread or contribute to a recent one.
What is the best weapon enchant? Create a new thread or contribute to a recent one.
Why do people say mastery is better than avoidance? Use the search function or visit Basic Training.
How should I balance mastery and stamina? Use the search function.
Last edited by Digren on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Needed to tidy forum.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby tofino » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 am

Good idea! Maybe this is the place to ask:

What's the approximate drop rate on the cotton candy mace from Hyjal trash?
Tofi, 70 BE Paladin, Whisperwind
tofino

Postby Arthaal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 am

A few weeks ago it dropped 8 times for us in one night... haven't seen it since. Obviously I lost all the freaking rolls to shadow priests and 1 elemental shaman (who replaced it the next night for the dagger from Najentus ><).
Infusion of Light: Light's Grace v2.0 - but random.
Arthaal

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:08 am

I'll be the first to step up and be shot. (:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Kelaan
(Which, at the moment, actually has me in tanking gear!)

Am I shooting myself in the foot by trying to go for uncrushability as fast as I can? (I realize I'm not there yet, nor even uncrittable.) I don't have as much spelldamage as several others I've seen.

On the bright side, I haven't seemed to have any trouble with aoe tanking Shattered Halls or SV, which is always fun. (: Some of the pulls get a little hairy, but some armor and stamina upgrades will I think make those more feasible (esp the mortal-striking quadruplets). I just worry that my threat may be too low and that I'm ultimately gimping my group's output. Am I worrying over nothing?
Kelaan

Postby Elvidnir » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am

Arthaal wrote:A few weeks ago it dropped 8 times for us in one night... haven't seen it since. Obviously I lost all the freaking rolls to shadow priests and 1 elemental shaman (who replaced it the next night for the dagger from Najentus ><).

Because shadowpriests need more aggro WAY more than the tanks do.
Elvidnir

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:33 am

Kelaan wrote:I'll be the first to step up and be shot. (:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by trying to go for uncrushability as fast as I can? (I realize I'm not there yet, nor even uncrittable.) I don't have as much spelldamage as several others I've seen.

On the bright side, I haven't seemed to have any trouble with aoe tanking Shattered Halls or SV, which is always fun. (: Some of the pulls get a little hairy, but some armor and stamina upgrades will I think make those more feasible (esp the mortal-striking quadruplets). I just worry that my threat may be too low and that I'm ultimately gimping my group's output. Am I worrying over nothing?

Uhm ... You need a new shield, two new trinkets, new bracers, a new chestpiece, and engineering at 350 for the goggles.

Look at getting uncrittable first, and then work on uncrushable. Your two trinkets do NOTHING for uncrit/uncrush right now. Don't worry about spelldamage, either ... You have enough to carry you through Kara with the CFB + 40sd.

Shield - Aegis of the Sunbird from the Botanica (hopefully Laj will drop his shoulders for you, too)
Trinket 1 - Dabiri's Enigma from the Dimensius the All-Devouring quest in Netherstorm.
Trinket 2 - Either Figurine of the Colossus from SH or the Adamantine Figurine from Shadow Labs... And if Shoulderguards of the Bold happen to drop from Murmur, A) I'll hate you, B) those will do until you can get into Kara/ZA runs.
Belt - Go do How to break into the Arcatraz to get the Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard.
Chest - Get Revered with the Aldor ASAP. Vindicator's Hauberk will help you out a LOT... And the shoulder chant helps too.
Cloak - Run SV for the Devilshark Cape, which will last you a long while.
Neck - Get Revered with the Cenarion Expedition for the Strength of the Untamed.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:40 am

Kelaan wrote:I'll be the first to step up and be shot. (:

Throw some superior wizard oil on your weapon and you should be fine threatwise as long as you aren't tanking for people severely better geared than you.

I'd also look into upgrading your shield for more armor. [item=29176]Crest of the Sha'tar[/item], [item=29266]Azure Shield of Coldarra[/item] and [item=28358]Gladiator's Shieldwall[/item] are all pretty easy to aquire and will give a substantial increase in survivabilty.

EDIT: Looking at your spec I'd say you need to get One Handed Specialization. That is hands down our best talent for Threat. I'd also look grab that last point in Toughness. More armor is ALWAYS good.
Last edited by Erendis on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:42 am

Don't worry about spelldamage, either ... You have enough to carry you through Kara with the CFB + 40sd.

Thanks -- that was my main worry. (:

Guillex wrote:Uhm ... You need a new shield, two new trinkets, new bracers, a new chestpiece, and engineering at 350 for the goggles.

Haha :D No kidding. I turned 70 roughly two weekends ago, and haven't been able to play as much as I'd like. (And, as I already am short on funds and have another engineer character, I am hesitant to do engineering yet on this guy. ;))

- I didn't have my Wayward Footman (+BlockRating) shield equipped. I realize this isn't optimal.
- I'm currently working on quests in Netherstorm, both for money to buy a flyer and for the Dabiri's trinket, as well as the Arcatraz keychain.
- I've been prioritizing Shattered Halls tanking trips, as the 4% block rating will be a very big upgrade for me.

Get Revered with the Aldor ASAP.

Any suggestions on how? At this point, I'm having to choose hard between (a) tanking instances for upgrades from drops, (b) questing in netherstorm to get gear/money/a-chance-to-go-to-Botanica, and (c) farming demon hunter supplicants (which is damnably easy, and will be even easier once I get the Figurine of the Colossus) for rep tokens to sell/trade for Aldor ones.

Also, why is Strength of the Untamed better than the Steam-hinge? I realize I will get it eventually (esp since I need the runs for the Devilshark cape and such), but is it really that big of an upgrade?
Kelaan

Postby Elvidnir » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 am

Avoidance > Mitigation most of the time.
Elvidnir

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 am

Kelaan wrote:
Get Revered with the Aldor ASAP.

Any suggestions on how? At this point, I'm having to choose hard between (a) tanking instances for upgrades from drops, (b) questing in netherstorm to get gear/money/a-chance-to-go-to-Botanica, and (c) farming demon hunter supplicants (which is damnably easy, and will be even easier once I get the Figurine of the Colossus) for rep tokens to sell/trade for Aldor ones.

You got it ... That, and do Aldor-related quests. Pretty much all you can do.

Kelaan wrote:Also, why is Strength of the Untamed better than the Steam-hinge? I realize I will get it eventually (esp since I need the runs for the Devilshark cape and such), but is it really that big of an upgrade?

Strength of the Untamed
Binds when picked up
Unique
Neck
+27 Stamina
Requires Level 70
Requires Cenarion Expedition - Revered
Equip: Increases defense rating by 19 (8.03 @ L70).
Equip: Increases your dodge rating by 18 (0.95% @ L70).

Steam-Hinge Chain of Valor
Binds when picked up
Neck
+26 Stamina
Requires Level 68
Equip: Increases your shield block rating by 19 (2.69% @ L68).
Equip: Increases the block value of your shield by 29.

The steam-hinge does absolutely nothing for you in terms of uncrittability. Also, defense rating means that your dodge/parry, and I believe miss, goes up.

While stacking Block Rating is the quickest way to reach uncrushable, you're really aiming towards uncrittable right now. It's going to help you the most in 5mans... And is easier to get to than uncrushable is.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:52 am

Elvidnir wrote:Avoidance > Mitigation most of the time.

I'd disagree. I'd say they are about even. You need enough avoidance so your healers don't go /oom but you need enough mitigation to live through spike damage.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Questioner » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:56 am

Hi there nearly irrelevant, completely unsubstiantiated, undirected post! I think if you actually browse these forums you may come across some opposition to this idea. Ideas that provide actual math backing them up, many pages of discussion, logs of damage intake rates, etc.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Elvidnir » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Questioner wrote:

Hi there nearly irrelevant, completely unsubstiantiated, undirected post! I think if you actually browse these forums you may come across some opposition to this idea. Ideas that provide actual math backing them up, many pages of discussion, logs of damage intake rates, etc.

I would rather dodge an attack than block an attack. Why do I need to make a thesis statement and dissertation to validate personal preference? I may not have stated it as such, but everyone misses words from time to time.

I guess the internet is serious business.
Elvidnir

Postby Invisusira » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Am I ready to tank Prince?
Invisusira

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Elvidnir wrote:
Questioner wrote:

I would rather dodge an attack than block an attack. Why do I need to make a thesis statement and dissertation to validate personal preference? I may not have stated it as such, but everyone misses words from time to time.

I guess the internet is serious business.

Avoidance stacking...
EH...
Mitigation stacking...

It's all situational. Plus, in Kelaan's case, he/she's not even uncrit yet ... and the Untamed will do MUCH more in terms of reaching that first goal than the Chain will.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice