Paladin Holy Damage... Direct or Global Threat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Paladin Holy Damage... Direct or Global Threat

Postby Heissedame » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 pm

This may be a dumb question, but because of the readings I get from Omen, I have to ask.

Is the threat generated from Paly Holy Damage Direct or Global?

Take for instance the NonElite Flower mobs at the end of Botanica. If pull both sides and lay down a consecrate, my Omen will show a ridiculously high level of threat generated against my Target. Somewhere in the ball park of 25k-30k threat. Now, if my threat were just direct, then wouldn't my threat against my target only be around 2k after one Consecrate? This makes me think there is atleast a portion of my holy damage that is causing global threat. So the more mobs in my consecration, the faster my threat generates on all mobs. Maybe holy damage is treated with the same 0.5X coefficient healers have to deal with.

But this happens anytime I pull multiple mobs, once I've killed my target and begin to attack the next target, I notice that my threat level only decreases slightly when moving to the next mob. The NonElite flowers at the end of Bot are only a drastic example to illustrate my question.

I wondered if this has just been a bug inside of Omen, but two things make me think it is not. 1) when targeting the new target, my threat reading only drops slightly if at all from the level it was with the previous target while other DPSers' levels drop significantly, and 2) In a multiple mob situation, the DPSers never pull the second, third, or fourth mob off of me.

Can anyone explain this?
Heissedame

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Lifebloom bursts, Prayer of Mending, Spiritual Attunement gains; these are global threat, and quite a bit of it. Coupled with Holy Shield, Consecrate, and possibly Sanctuary, the only single target threat you're actually producing is with the Seals and Judgements.
Levantine

Postby kalbear » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm

It's a bug with the old omen. The old omen would take all mobs named the same and lump the threat together on them. So for fighting 20 mobs, you'd get consecratex20 threat.
kalbear

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Oh, this is pre-2.4? Yah, if the mobs have the same name, omen couldn't tell them apart and you'd end up with omen bugging out.
Levantine

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:22 pm

What they said. Pre 2.4, the combat log wouldn't differ mobs with same name, level and gender. so all gen is parsed and cluimped under the same virtual unit. That's why consecration in aoe generates stuff like 3000 tps, while it's actually 220~ spread over 15 targets
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Heissedame » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Ah, ok... that makes sense, I was beginning to think we pally tanks were more Godlike than we already are (as if that were possible!)
Heissedame

Return to Basic Training & Talents