Remove Advertisements

Thoughts and Opinions on Heroic MgT

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby digaum2003 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:44 am

2ndNin wrote:I currently sit at around 15200 hits unbuffed, and AOE tanking on heroic is very possible (+428 spell damage in my MT gear, though might need to up this as a bear OT caught me on Gruul last night :( ).

Basic plan should be:
.... [I've cut the text to make the post a little lighter, but the content really deserve to be read fully by everyone]

Well man, I'd just like to thank you for those VERY useful tips. Currently I'm kara MT, so not much of a good gear here :/

Sitting at 14k unbuffed (but crushable in this gear which I use only in heroics for the little extra HP and spell dmg. The gear I use to tank kara is uncrushable but I have about 500 less HP and a bit less of spell dmg) I had a hard time doing this instance with a rather medium lvl healer (PUG) and a FREAKING LOW DPS. I entered the group after they've downed the 2nd boss and went all the way to the last boss (where we wiped tons of times b4 calling it, for lack of DPS and survivability, since all dpsers would die long b4 the boss' life was even 30% :(
If we had a better DPS we'd probably downed him, since our healer wasn't that bad on the last boss (the healer we used to the 3rd boss had to leave, so we got a shammy to replace it)
I hadn't done the whole instance in heroic, but I'm guessing that the second boss might be a pain in the ass, since his debuffs stack pretty quick and if you don't have a high enough DPS, there isn't much you can do but pray for the fight to end quickly :/

Thanks once again for your tips, definitely gonna keep those around when I'm in a group to go MgT Heroic again ;)
digaum2003

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 am

2nd boss in heroic depends on your healer, if you have low dps a paladin healer is actually a huge plus as you don't plan on taking the adds fast anyway. Plan should always be to spread the ticks (mages take 4, then iceblock, pets take then die, even a voidwalker can take 2 of them then be resummoned), if you dump it on 1 person the healers will have a hard time keeping them up with you (the boss does actually hit the tank quite hard).

Boss 3 is so easy, if it goes right. A bit of cc, and make sure the area is cleared and you can easily take the fight, just don't try tanking, strap on your healer gear and fol spam people to help the healer and fear / stun things.

Kael is hard, if you don't have the dps you really need to take it slow and watch for the phoenixes (our group pushed him once so we didn't even get a phoenix in phase 1 :D), pyro isn't a a threat to a paladin tank so just be careful and make sure the dps kite if the phoenix isn't on consecration. Phase 1 will wipe you if you let a phoenix / egg stay up into phase 2 as the phoenix will fireball / restrict your movement. Again with phase 2, its not really a dps race its a survivability one, if your dps / healer walk onto the balls then you will wipe, if you take it slow and steady its easy, making sure the healer realises you won't need healed in the first lapse is good as it means your 3 dps should all live.

As for gear, Kara is good, but badges are better, most of my gear is badge / kara with only the commendation and the amani punisher for outside this. Magister's isn't a difficult instance, its test of group focus and tactics, if you do silly things this instance will kill you because it ignores the armour and block of the tank, things that in places like SH let you really be silly. Don't be afraid to blow pocket watches, LoH etc or your bubble, you need to survive to tank the melee mobs, after that you are basically a hp buffer for the dps (have died more than once with the mage guard / blood knight dead so the dps took the casters down and ressed me :D). Just watch the tactics, 1st boss is nuke, 2nd is really anti nuke, the harder you press the harder he is, 3rd is like pvp and 4th is co-ordination, if you move well then its fairly easy.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby digaum2003 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:49 am

Well, right now my gear is mostly kara/badges too :D
I have the stoic guardian chest, Slikk on the back, Sabatons of the righteous on feet, Girdle of the protector, and the gladiator's gavel, the rest is all kara/reputation (I use the crest of the sha'tar until I have luck on nightbane's drops)
Gonna Def try to take a good group now, since I haven't had much luck with PUGs latelly, even for normal MgT.

Thanks once again ;)
digaum2003

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 am

Run MgT till exalted, the shields are pretty good I think.

Pugging this place on heroic with an iffy pug will turn out badly, and even normal can be a little killer without good communication. While its not hard one slip up can really ruin your day (sheep on mage guard slips, stun, dead, wipe). Just treat it with care, while you can run it like SH (27min normal clear, 52 min heroic so far) take a little time and let people know what you want before each pull, because with so many casters you likely won't have a usable trinket in case of emergency.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Arcand » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 am

We tried the slow tickle-him-down method on Vexallus last night, and it worked pretty well up to a point.

Me tanking, tree healer, warlock, mage, elemental shaman.

Beat two adds out of the boss.
Warlock kills both adds.
DPS wand/spam rank 1 zaps/lick their balls; warlock uses Siphon and Drain Life to mostly cancel out the debuff damage. Continue until the debuff is close to falling off.
Burn the boss until he spawns two more adds.

This worked great and was very stable. Then he Overloaded, anarchy ensued and I ended up soloing him the last couple percent.

As I see it, the final sprint is going to be insane no matter what and you can expect to lose some people. But racing him down to 20% creates the possibility for all kinds of mishaps because of all the damage being thrown around, plus people get rattled when the whole room is alive with crackling chain lightning and peoples' health bars are spiking up and down.

This method will get you to 20% in good order. The healer will be lightly fatigued but everyone will be calm and close to max health when he Overloads and all hell breaks loose.

(Also, this was the first group I've had which one-shotted Delrissa. Earth Shock + Hammer of Justice shut down the heals, and the fury warrior was kind enough to come straight to me for a little fencing match. :) )
Arcand

Postby cryptwind » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 am

Snake-Aes wrote: Enslave a succubus and watch her soloing a mob while ccing another at the same time.

(warlock main) this is an exaggeration, her CC is channeled (like the normal succubus) but it doesn't seem to break on damage. That said she pulls aggro like mad, so let her tank the mob, just build a bit of threat in case she dies (not that she's likely to).

Make sure you are ready when your lock releases her to taunt and exorcise her.
cryptwind

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:54 am

cryptwind wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote: Enslave a succubus and watch her soloing a mob while ccing another at the same time.

(warlock main) this is an exaggeration, her CC is channeled (like the normal succubus) but it doesn't seem to break on damage. That said she pulls aggro like mad, so let her tank the mob, just build a bit of threat in case she dies (not that she's likely to).

Make sure you are ready when your lock releases her to taunt and exorcise her.
I'm also a warlock and i'm fairly sure she at least autoattacks after charming. It's casted and forgotten, I think.
Gonna confirm later tonight :)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics