Minimum stats (gear) for Prince

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 am

Stos wrote:
Uthadanin wrote:And of course, once you trust your healers (and are sitting on 17k+ health, attacking him during phase 2 becomes an option again).

As an update buffed I'm now just over 17k HP with around 16.5k armor 52% pure avoidance and this fight from a tanking perspective has gotten quite a bit easier. I now continue to attack during the entire phase 2 and almost every wipe is a 'healers/dps died to infernals' wipe.

Something I did notice (not sure if it's new in 2.4 or not) was that sometimes my consecrate would not tick on him at all. The combat log would show multiple successful casts of it but it would never tick on him. Since then I've been watching my in game combat text like a hawk and when consecrate isn't ticking I move closer to him and farther from the wall until it starts ticking again.

I also note that somewhere between 15-25% of my holy damage is resisted by him and sometimes it's a partial resist (ie. he takes X damage, Y damage resisted message.) I believe common wisdom is to ignore spell hit and just keep upping spell damage to compensate. Is this true in all fights or just on average? I currently have 0 spell hit rating, is there a small amount I should be shooting for? Is this fight a 'bring +spell hit' fight?

Thanks again for all the help,
-Stos

There are two kinds of resists there. Level based and elemental based. The level based resist is always "all or nothing", and is compensated with spellhit. However, it takes too much spell hit, and most tankadins, while do not deny spell hit, don't do out of their way for it.
the elemental resists have 4 levels: 25%,50%, 75% and 100% resist. That one cannot be helped *at all*. No monster in the game has specific holy resistance. All monsters, however, have a level based resist to all elements that cannot be bypassed. Nothing you can do to help there.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby cryptwind » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Shirak wrote:There is a basic test to see if you can tank Prince...

If you can tank a Greater Fleashbeast, then you are set.

Many of you can scoff at me but the truth is, those things hit hard and fast. When I could survive tanking one of those I had no problems with Prince.

I had 14-15K HP buffed hp.

Ummmmm, not sure I agree with this.... my first Kara run (without even having my 2 kara drops gemmed) I picked up one of these when our MT died and tanked him from 75% to death and didn't even come close to dying (good healers I'll admit) and I'm nowhere near ready for prince.
cryptwind

Postby Brickhouse » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:21 pm

I think there are a few keys to this fight (in this order, I won't mention 490 def, because that is obvious):

1. uncrushable. If you are not, then do not attempt.
2. sufficient health. I think 15k is light, but the minimum, buffed.
3. +250 spell damage, minimum. If you lose aggro, it is a likely a wipe. More is better, but this is where many fail, I think.
4. STOP auto-attack in Phase 2. Maybe this should be highest priority. =)

If you do not have the avoidance stats to even be uncrushable, you will not survive. Health is important because you can get bursted down. I got bursted down once from around 18k or so health in the blink of an eye.

This fight is about luck (that is why I hate it). The best way for it to end positively is BURN HIM down asap. To do that, we need to ensure we do massive threat (which isn't hard, since he is a demon, and fast hitting - holy shield ftw), so that your DPS can go balls out. If it starts turning into a contest of dodge the infernals, or Phase 2 lasting too long, then the odds of eventually being snookered or an infernal landing on your healers last good spot, well, it gets bad. We - unlike warriors or druids - can stop "swinging" in P2, and still hold threat without a sweat, since we still got holy shield + consecrate. If you do not turn off auto-attack, and if you have reckoning (and it procs), you stand the chance to be dead in the very near future.
Brickhouse

Postby Stos » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Brickhouse wrote:I think there are a few keys to this fight (in this order, I won't mention 490 def, because that is obvious):

1. uncrushable. If you are not, then do not attempt.
2. sufficient health. I think 15k is light, but the minimum, buffed.
3. +250 spell damage, minimum. If you lose aggro, it is a likely a wipe. More is better, but this is where many fail, I think.
4. STOP auto-attack in Phase 2. Maybe this should be highest priority. =)

If you do not have the avoidance stats to even be uncrushable, you will not survive. Health is important because you can get bursted down. I got bursted down once from around 18k or so health in the blink of an eye.

This fight is about luck (that is why I hate it). The best way for it to end positively is BURN HIM down asap. To do that, we need to ensure we do massive threat (which isn't hard, since he is a demon, and fast hitting - holy shield ftw), so that your DPS can go balls out. If it starts turning into a contest of dodge the infernals, or Phase 2 lasting too long, then the odds of eventually being snookered or an infernal landing on your healers last good spot, well, it gets bad. We - unlike warriors or druids - can stop "swinging" in P2, and still hold threat without a sweat, since we still got holy shield + consecrate. If you do not turn off auto-attack, and if you have reckoning (and it procs), you stand the chance to be dead in the very near future.

Why would have reckoning in a main tank build? It can be insta-death on more fights than just Prince. It seems more trouble than it's worth for MTing.

And I'm starting to think stopping auto-attack in phase 2 is one of those things you do when the possibility of surviving phase 2 is pretty marginal. Once you have enough health/armor/pure avoidance it seems to no longer be necessary. With 15.5k HP buffed and around 14k armor, 50% pure avoidance I could easily die in phase 2 pretty randomly and stopped auto-attacking. Now with 17k HP around 16.5k armor and 52+% pure avoidance I no longer stop auto-attacking and I haven't died in phase 2 in quite a few fights now unless healers die to infernals.

-Stos
Stos

Postby Ariashley » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Netherwing Defender's will be your last spell damage shield. Focus on mitigation from now on.

The Sunward Crest has more mitigation than Crest of the Sha'tar and it has spell damage on it. It's not more avoidance for sure, but it is a higher % mitigation. You can get a reasonable gear set with 102.4% mitigation and 49.35% avoidance with that shield - that would probably be nice for trash/heroics for a threat set. Am I wrong to think that?

Seems like a replacement of the Netherwing Defender... Not a replacement for the shield off Nightbane, obviously.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Previous

Return to Karazhan