Remove Advertisements

Hydross: possible to MT both phases?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Whitewolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah, that'd be tough.
I have about 375 buffed frost resistance w/ 490 Def, and when I pulled him back into nature phase and he was on me for about 5 seconds -i twas HUGE spike damage. Granted, i'd only have about 140 nature resistance with my buffs - but that's still substantial damage.

Perhaps if you were all T6 geared, and T6 healers and could nuke him fast enough.
Whitewolf

Postby Heretik » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 am

Well it is possible for a paladin to tank.
Last night my guild Desertus on Vashj server went for Hydross first night and he went down on 3rd try.

I used 280 Frost resistance and 470 defence.
He was easy to tank although i recommend you to have at least 400 spelldamage to keep decent aggro.

Full buffed i had 17k hp, 470 def and 354 Frost resistance while tanking the frost phase.
The healers didnt had a hard time healing, and still everyone could do good damage.
Since we loose our main aggro ability = Holy Shield, we need to buff our spelldamage since we have to nerf our gear for frost resistance.
I used a flask of binding light + wizard oil on weapon.
This gave me around 500 spelldamage keeping me high above everyone else.

I strongly recommend a paladin tank (alliance) if you consider it.
We can stack our seal of vengeance up at the nature phase, so when he is going back for frost the dot already gives the paladin aggro and we can go full out on threat.
Heretik

Postby cordelia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 am

Frost -
35 ring
60 leggings
30 neck
19 cloak
20 glyph
5 shield
7 shoulders
5 void spheres
------------

Nature -
35 ring
50 helm
60 chest
19 cloak
5 shield
7 shoulders
5 void spheres
------------

Resilience Items:
Talisman of the Alliance - 34
Alembic of Infernal Power - 33
s3 gavel - 18
s3 shield wall - 31
chest enchant - 15
---------------------
3.27% crit reduction

Anticipation: 0.8% crit reduction

Remainder: 1.53% crit
All that's needed from shoulders/wrists/hands/waist/feet:
90 defense rating or 61 resilience.

Badge/T5 gear easily accomplishes the above, with at least 5 sockets for void spheres. Badge/T4 gear probably is enough, too. An alternative is PvP s3/vindicator's gear, which provides high stam, high resilience, and threat (lamellar). Although badge/T5 gear will have more stam than PvP gear.
cordelia

Postby shade » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 pm

it's pretty safe to say it would be impossible barring gear way out classing hydross to do this, as it's pretty much quota to have 350+ N/FrR to tank the phases, with that being said if you had like 10 mages to constantly spam arcane explosions you could maybe eat the marks up to 25-50% on each end... even then probably just easier to do with 2 tanks and save the headache :wink:
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Postby jere » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 pm

shade wrote:it's pretty safe to say it would be impossible barring gear way out classing hydross to do this, as it's pretty much quota to have 350+ N/FrR to tank the phases

Nope, I do it with 300-327 every week, and that includes the progression and followup kills. so no outgearing at the time.
jere

Postby shade » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:35 pm

jere wrote:
shade wrote:it's pretty safe to say it would be impossible barring gear way out classing hydross to do this, as it's pretty much quota to have 350+ N/FrR to tank the phases

Nope, I do it with 300-327 every week, and that includes the progression and followup kills. so no outgearing at the time.

i'm just going by what my guild deemed as the point to aim for..... the main point of the comment after a brief ramble was 2 tanks just makes it significantly easier... if you want to solo it shoulda rolled a warlock :wink:
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Postby jere » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 pm

shade wrote:
jere wrote:

i'm just going by what my guild deemed as the point to aim for..... the main point of the comment after a brief ramble was 2 tanks just makes it significantly easier... if you want to solo it shoulda rolled a warlock :wink:

Oh it is definitely more easy to do with 2 tanks. The "impossible without outgearing or 350 resist" comment was what I was more concerned with. It really isn't true. But you are totally correct on the 2 tanks versus 1 in my opinion.
jere

Postby Kaelthar_ » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Just as an update, I've given up trying for the ultimate set to tank both phases, but I do currently use a mix frost/nature set to tank the adds of both phases. I've got enough resist for that.

We have a frost warrior and a nature warrior tank hydross himself. I just heal a warlock and all the adds come to me provided a healer didn't just land a gigantic crit heal at that very moment - they still come to me when that healer dies though ;)

We one-shot him weekly - think its at least 4 times now. Still can't get the guild to beat Leo yet though :( after 2 weeks(3 nights of trying). Maybe next week.
Kaelthar_

Postby cordelia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 pm

jere wrote:
shade wrote:
jere wrote:

Oh it is definitely more easy to do with 2 tanks. The "impossible without outgearing or 350 resist" comment was what I was more concerned with. It really isn't true. But you are totally correct on the 2 tanks versus 1 in my opinion.

Actually, an Alliance Pally with a stack of SoV going with 300+ Frost/Nature resist would actually simplify the encounter significantly. Transitions, which is where most guilds wipe on, would be smooth as butter. You probably wouldn't want to tank the adds and hydross, but if you geared out a second prot pally for just the adds in a similar, but lesser gear setup, he could consecrate and grab the adds while you just single-target threat Hydross.
cordelia

Postby Azulito » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:17 pm

after reading this post quite some time ago, i became curious as to whether or not i could do this, started playing with gear combos, resil/defense trinks, etc.... kind of gave up on it for a while though. i totally think i can, but i'll wait til the time is right.

in any case, last time we killed hydross, my conc/AS smacked the boss while i was trying to pick up adds, and i ended up tanking a large portion of nature phase hehehh (adds + hydross)... i lived, it was funny....

the week before last, one of our DPS fucked up and we ended up getting 12 adds.... THAT was fun... again, i lived, it was funny.... :P
Azulito

2 full phases done

Postby Kaelthar_ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Well I actually did it with the gear I use for adds only.

Both the warriors died so I had Hydross and all the adds on me - and I stayed alive thanks to spam healing for 2 full phases.

I tried to have him switch forms right away when the 100% debuff was up.

I eventually went splat but this proves it can be done. If I changed a couple pieces of gear I'm confident it can be done. I don't really care about Hydross anymore though, so I won't bother with the expense.
Kaelthar_

Postby Iaono » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:06 am

I have been lurking in this forum for a bit and happy i can finally contribute. =)

Our NR tank left by drama... didnt get things his way... left and said hed come back if we changed it... we just said bye. The other tank with an NR set was on vacation and is coming back next week so we thought "why not!"

http://files.filefront.com/Hydrosstankw ... einfo.html

From the first transition(he didnt start fraps at pull) till the end.

Me controlling both phases and adds made aoe quicker and we killed him with over 3 minutes left on enrage timer.. i had 5 healers on me and 2 shaman raid healing/helping out. The new trink out of heroic MrT procced almost every time it was off cool down lol
Iaono

Postby Probius » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:01 am

Iaono wrote:I have been lurking in this forum for a bit and happy i can finally contribute. =)

Our NR tank left by drama... didnt get things his way... left and said hed come back if we changed it... we just said bye. The other tank with an NR set was on vacation and is coming back next week so we thought "why not!"

http://files.filefront.com/Hydrosstankw ... einfo.html

From the first transition(he didnt start fraps at pull) till the end.

Me controlling both phases and adds made aoe quicker and we killed him with over 3 minutes left on enrage timer.. i had 5 healers on me and 2 shaman raid healing/helping out. The new trink out of heroic MrT procced almost every time it was off cool down lol

What stats / gear / group make-up were you running? I run PuG's up to Magtheridon in my guild for some of the new people, and would love to be able to make a setup for single tanking hydross to get people interested in SSC and getting a few new people / applicants T5's who are trying to run Hyjall in Kara gear.
Probius

Postby NarfJones » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Done.

260ish of both resistances. We stopped dots when it hit 50% and stopped dps to transfer when it hit 100% I transferred him to the other side halfway through 100%

WARNING: You will get one shotted if the Debuff hit 250%

EDIT: Will list gear after the raid.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby kensanity » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 pm

NarfJones wrote:Done.

260ish of both resistances. We stopped dots when it hit 50% and stopped dps to transfer when it hit 100% I transferred him to the other side halfway through 100%

WARNING: You will get one shotted if the Debuff hit 250%

EDIT: Will list gear after the raid.

please link gear and explanation. I have 200 badges that I want to waste on random resist gear (is there even any frstR and NR gear available with badges?) I'm MT in my guild and i think being able to solo tank Hydross would really push my guild's interest in doing more t5 content
kensanity

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern