Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby sweeney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:59 am

I haven't run Heroic yet, but I've noticed in several normal runs that if I put on my healing gear and AS-pull, they treat me like a tank -- they throw a short CC on me, then ignore me and go for the other healer.

Which is awesome, since I'm a healer as well -- most of the fights have led with me BOP/Holy Lighting to negate their burst while we burst Princess down.

If you're healing this fight it's win/win -- if they don't focus you, you keep your teammates up, if they do, well then you're essentially tanking. Nobody can use the "I don't have healing gear" excuse, either -- if you need healing plate, run the instance a couple of times on normal first, and/or pick up the blue PVP healing set that was newly added in 2.4.

For the record, your group members either need to be slightly knowledgeable about PVP, *or* just good at thinking on their feet in general. A couple of the people I've run it with couldn't PVP their way out of a paper bag, yet had no problem CCing/interrupting/bursting as needed for this fight.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

After SEVERAL wipes...heroic

Postby Brickhouse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:51 am

We kept altering our tactics, and everything varied from us being able to kill 1, 2, or 3 of them before wiping.

Then, I ported to Shattrah, grabbed my healing gear, and we used the same tactic (with me healing, effectively, we had two healers then):

1. kill the main "boss" since she can heal, purge, fear, pretty much infinitely - as she doesn't appear to lose mana at all.
2. Kill the shaman - as he is the only other healer.
3. Focus Damage on targets
4. use ALL crowd control you have, stuns, frost novas, fears, blow them all, so no one dies. If you have downs faster then them...well, it is hard for healers to kill most things.

After that, kill whomever, since you'll have 2 healers, to their NONE. Loot.

Attempting to tank - at least with a paladin - seems futile, because they just purge righteous fury, constantly, and it doesn't take long to run out of mana since they don't hit us very hard, and the other DPS is getting all the healing.

I assume when warriors or druids do it, the just wear DPS gear - and they can probably sustain some level or aggro, but still, not really a classical encounter.

I have to say that, even though we wiped lots, we did finally clear this place, and it was pretty fun. It takes a very patient group to do it the first time. I personally waited until I was in the mood for much wiping =)
Brickhouse

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

House, the tactic that worked best for me was burning her mana(and shaman's) ASAP. She has a pool just over 13k or so in heroic, and the regen seems to blow. Viper Sting + Mana Burn and she was useless in no time.

In all our tries we had all kinds of dpsers, what worked the best for me was Killing the priestess first, then(if there) the CCed shaman. From there, kill the melee enemies and then the caster enemies. Hunter is feared 24/7 and the imp pet should die with a regular shield+ex+HoW pull easy.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby dab » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:45 am

2ndNin wrote:You have a stun, a fear and a taunt (priestess).

I thought she was immune to taunt ?
ImageImage
dab

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Don't forget, as I did on our first try last night, that you can now Turn the satyr hunter, or the tinker-demon.
Arcand

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:04 pm

Arcand wrote:Don't forget, as I did on our first try last night, that you can now Turn the satyr hunter, or the tinker-demon.

Do not underestimate Turn Evil :D It's really powerful to be able to cc a target in that fight. Anything helps.

I have also noticed that the monsters take a good while to even realize other players are attacking them if they're in max range. that allows me to set them up my way before doing anything in the fight.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Warrender » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Arcand wrote:Don't forget, as I did on our first try last night, that you can now Turn the satyr hunter, or the tinker-demon.

Do not underestimate Turn Evil :D It's really powerful to be able to cc a target in that fight. Anything helps.

Aye. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this very encounter was a big reason for this change.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:22 pm

There's a good chance the encounter will be nerfed at least thrice in the next three small patches anyway O.O

"Shaman removed"
"Priestess now doesn't heal"
"rogue now can't dual-wield"

lol
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ciandin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Sweeney wrote:A couple of the people I've run it with couldn't PVP their way out of a paper bag, yet had no problem CCing/interrupting/bursting as needed for this fight.

I laughed IRL
Ciandin

Postby Minn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 pm

One thing that has helped my groups on Heroic is clearing the entire room before the 3rd boss, as well as the near side of the Priestess room. Using the corridor between the two rooms gives a nice spot to LoS pull. You can leave a tanky-type out front to take the charge if you get the warrior, but ideally you'll pull them all into the corridor. From there, AE fear from a lock/war/priest is ideal, letting everyone else forget about CC for a bit for an early burst on the Priestess. After/during the Priestess burn you can use individual CC on troublesome targets. This corridor also provides a number of good corners for ducking LoS on ranged dps like the Hunter or Mage.

Another thing I've learned is to use Consecrate less and Avenger's Shield more. Due to the randomness of the aggro tables, mobs are liable to get sheeped / blinded / seduced all over the place, so dropping your AE is risky. AS on the other hand, provides a handy snare on top of the "Hey! Over here!" holy damage.
Minn

Postby Invisusira » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Ciandin wrote:
Sweeney wrote:A couple of the people I've run it with couldn't PVP their way out of a paper bag, yet had no problem CCing/interrupting/bursting as needed for this fight.

I laughed IRL

QFT, this brings about a HILARIOUS mental image!
Invisusira

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:18 am

The adds cannot be taunted, the priestess can be.

But she resets aggro soon afterwards :(
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Warrender » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 am

It's not exactly like a 5v5 Arena fight. Blizzard compensated for non-creative and non-adaptive AI by giving them overpowered abilities and damage. So you don't need to be a PVP god to beat these guys, just need to coordinate your group enough to beat the PVP-flavored AI.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Riyan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am

My regular heroic group is me, holy priest, warlock, mage and random (usually rogue) and we haven't had any problems yet. Some fights might see us wipe once because we're unfamiliar with the setup, but otherwise I can't say this is hard. The key to the fight is good crowd control though. Sap, Sheep, Fear, (possibly banish, though we haven't seen a demon in 4-5 days), are all essential to being able to kill Delrissa first.

Our prio list:
1. Priestess Delrissa
2. Apoko (Shaman)
3. Yazzai (Mage)
4. Kagani Nightstrike (Rogue)
5. Eramas Brightblaze (Monk)
6. Ellris Duskhallow (Warlock)
7. Warlord Salaris (Warrior) (always CC'd)
7. Garaxxas (Hunter) (always CC'd)
7. Zelfan (Engineer) (always CC'd)

Since we always run with a warlock (my gf) and a mage (the holy priests' bf), we'll always banish any of the demon minions (except the imp), and sheep the warrior (he hurts!) if either is present. If there's 2 demons, 1 is banished, another is feared.
We completely ignore the warlock, since all his spells are easily cleansed (including fear).
Apoko is stunned/feared/sapped long enough for us to focus fire Delrissa.
Yazzai is ignored until the priestess and apoko (if present) are dead. Otherwise, we'll heal through his damage and cleanse his spells.
The rogue and monks, if present, is kited or short-term CC'd or otherwise healed through.

It must be said though, that I have 12k health, 10k mana and ~1500 healing in my healing kit (with +stam rings/trinkets equipped), so I have no problems being able to heal when our priest comes under fire. On top of that, I use AS, HoJ and BoP against melee that are trying to kill our priestess to keep her alive. :P
Riyan

Postby Arcand » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 am

Had a strange bug last night where we killed Delrissa (first), she went down and about five seconds later she popped back up. She was talking, she was healing and she was hitting people but she wasn't targetable.

Anyone else had this happen, or have any idea what triggers it?
Arcand

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics