Heroic Magister's: Vexallus, 2nd boss

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Dorvan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Novara wrote:I use it, the adds don't seem to die to any type of AoE.

I've had adds die to my consecrate before, but it's not a problem....really it's easier to heal through it on the tank than on anyone else, simply because it's one less additional target requiring extra heals.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Khayne » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Novara wrote:We had some of our highest dps too.

I found that having me ( the tank ) kill the first 4 adds and then immediately bubbling the stacks off once I hit the fourth worked really well. I could then take the next two adds as well. That way the tank takes the first 6 adds and healing is alot easier. The remaining adds can then be taken care of by the dps and they can just burn him down without needed to wait for stacks to fall off.

Never use consecrate on this boss xD

I use it, the adds don't seem to die to any type of AoE.

I would need to claim they do die to concecrate since i´ve had the killing debuff on myself while i´ve only focussesd on boss.

Not that it hurts if you kill an add or 2 from the first 2 waves.
Khayne

Postby Exalt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:05 am

I was running with some very well geared guildmates. I told them to take it easy, but he was still dropping way too fast and spawning too many adds for our healer to deal with.

We didn't actually get him down until I told 2 of the dps'ers to just sit there and kill every other add until the boss was at 25% and *then* open up on him.

I both love and despise MrT. The boss fights are a lot of fun and are actually pretty challenging, even for a group that's overgeared..... However, the trash makes me want to punch babies...
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 am

When i'm in a full ranged dps setup, I'm usually killing a few adds(say, 1/3 of them) with consecration, it's really a good idea to take a few debuffs as a tank, you have the best soaking anyway. If the healer is having problems, just go slow. Let the debuff drop.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Amanor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:22 am

Our Mage may have stumbled on something interesting while taking on Vex in Heroic last night. He was taking out puffs but avoiding having the debuff applied by standing too close to a wall to allow the growth effect, ala Heroism/Bloodlust not being applied to allies too close to walls.

Only way I could forsee Blizzard dealing with this is by removing the growth component of the debuff.
Amanor

Postby Xorlat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:04 pm

I was wondering if his overload is on a set % like the 10% mentioned above? Or if it was timed. I have only had the chance to run MrT twice now, once on normal and once on heroic, so I havent had a chance to get good information on him.
Xorlat

Postby Novara » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Khayne wrote:
Novara wrote:We had some of our highest dps too.

I found that having me ( the tank ) kill the first 4 adds and then immediately bubbling the stacks off once I hit the fourth worked really well. I could then take the next two adds as well. That way the tank takes the first 6 adds and healing is alot easier. The remaining adds can then be taken care of by the dps and they can just burn him down without needed to wait for stacks to fall off.

Never use consecrate on this boss xD

I use it, the adds don't seem to die to any type of AoE.

I would need to claim they do die to concecrate since i´ve had the killing debuff on myself while i´ve only focussesd on boss.

Not that it hurts if you kill an add or 2 from the first 2 waves.

Maybe they do. I've just never had it happen, I've always had to single target and swing at each one once or judge them. Maybe they spawn just outside the range because I always have consecration down. I'll try to get it to hit them tonight cause that would be alot easier for the strat I use (stack debuffs on the tank). I've also been bringing my arcane resist for giggles (blue cloak with enchant, belt and kara trinket).
Novara

Postby Egtheridon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:18 pm

I ussually run with a warrior that is very well geared, and have them sweeping strikes to kill the adds, a good idea on this boss is to have everyone press control-v or shift-v, forget which one, but it brings up the health bars so its easy to see the pure energy(which seems to be a problem half the time even though it says "Vexalis discharges pure energy"). I always kill him fast though, and just have the healer spam heals(priests are the best at this). Very dependent on what healer you have, priest though are best suited for this particular fight, and warriors I think are best suited due to the high health pool and the sweeping strikes. Its funner that way too :lol:
Paladin/70/Rivendare
Egtheridon

Postby Jtree » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:34 am

Run this place most every night since it opened, and this boss continues to be the biggest pothole in the trip. The group's usually pretty solid: me, a resto shammy, mage, lock, and whatever 5th we can find (hunter/mage/spreist/rogue). Still can't pass this guy without a couple wipes first.

So tonight I took things a little too far probably. Grabbed some new gear: Arcane Resistance greens. :lol: A hundred or so resistance and 480 D did a pretty fair job smoothing out the damage, making it a little easier on the healer keeping me up.

Still took two wipes, though. Gotta yell at the DPS to get that Pure Energy off me a little faster, I suppose.

And Kael continues to be an ass and drop the healing boots instead of the spell damage mace every single time.
Jtree

Postby Minn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:42 am

If you're running Tank + Healer + 3 DPS on this fight, consider asking one of your DPS to switch roles. Tank + 2 Healers + 2 DPS means you're not dropping Vex as fast, plus you have more healing going around. Make sure those Pure Energies are getting killed all the way down, and you'll be in good shape. Having the tank pick up early sparks is useful too.
Minn

Postby Dreamcrusher » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:43 pm

While I have killed Vex without it, I really think it's best to wear Arcane Resist here. I put it on, and grab as many adds as I can. Since I'm always getting at least one add, the dps fight over the the other ones. The damage is easily healable, as long as no particular person (other than the tank) gets more than 1 debuff. Depending on the healer, you can bubble them off at 3 or 4.

DPS never has to really stop, so the boss goes down fast.

For the record, my arcane resist is all greens and the karazhan AR/Stam trinket - about 190 AR
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby ehly » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:49 am

I also found that taking several of the debuffs onto the tank made a big difference. We certainly can absorb alot more damage than most the dps. I have also started to bring some of my all-resist gear for this giving me ~90AR. Since I resist 20-30% of the damage the debuff dot wasn't as bad as it use to be.
ehly

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics