Drek'thar - AV End Boss

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Drek'thar - AV End Boss

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:06 am

Just curious do I gear for him like a normal mode 5 man, a heroic mode 5 man or a Raid?
honorshammer

Postby Furiouso » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:58 am

He's a ?? boss, which means he will crit you if you have less than 490 defense and crush you unless you have 102.4% avoidance. So pretty much gear for a raid.

That said, I run OOM tanking him, so getting a crushing now and then by not refreshing Holy Shield immediately helps if I know I'm being covered by heals.

It's tough, because people will be doing mad aggro as you won't get a chance to put salvation on everyone probably, and healers will be slow to pick up unless someone designates themselves and announces themselves as main tank. So gear for threat and stamina as well.

I usually run more towards threat and emphasize blocking as he's a fast melee'er and blocking helps our threat.
Furiouso

Postby Alkaiae » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Assuming you're the designated tank and will be catching all the heals, you clearly are going to need as much threat as possible: people will go all out because (a) they can or (b) the Horde is killing Van. That said, I would do what the above poster said: max your threat/block/stamina. He'll crush you and hits decently hard, but he doesn't have any abilities to speak of. As such, just make sure to frontload as much threat as possible and hope to hold aggro ^^.
Alkaiae
Blood Elf Paladin, <Unbridled Fury>
US-Misha
Alkaiae

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:43 pm

If you were horde, the answer would be "Whatever you happened to be wearing when the Alliance started killing Drek'thar and everybody yelled ZERG VANNDAR NOW"
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Couple things help with him:

1) Put 3 points in Imp SoTC. Make sure to Judge it.
2) Wear as much of the Pali T4 as you have.
3) Prioritize Spell Damage above Stamina.
4) Maintain 490/102.4

I haven't had Drek'thar pulled off me yet while tanking him because the above rules leave me around 450 + Spell + 219 Holly Spell from SoTC. As an added bonus, since the T4 gear actually has a significantly higher amount of def rating then my standard raid gear, I wind up with a 520ish defense skill as well.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Cimzar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:47 pm

The alliance can kill Drek'thar on your server? Speaks ill of your horde population...
<3 Bram
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Paladin!
Cimzar

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Cimzar wrote:The alliance can kill Drek'thar on your server? Speaks ill of your horde population...

I don't remember the last time Horde in my battlegroup killed Vanndar.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Questioner » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Wait, Stormpike flag isn't the victory condition for Horde?
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Pulire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:26 pm

I tank him in full mitigation gear like I would tank something in raids, wings and the stormpike standard give me enough of an aggro lead I've never had it pulled off me, except once when I was tanking without heals for a while, <3 Moroes's Pocket Watch.
Pulire

Postby Furiouso » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 pm

I usually don't have a problem with aggro with the standard Continuum + spelldamage enchant + Righteous shoulders. I start with AS, pop wings, go all out for as long as I can.

What I *hate* is people taunting off you when they have lesser gear. It's like they have something to prove they can't let a paladin tank. I usually check around to see if there's a tank with higher mitigation/stamina than I do, if so then I go healing or just wait for a WM to spawn in the middle.

What's fun is pulling three or so WMs at a time before Drek'thar, having someone yell "ZOMG BAD PULL!" and then holding aggro and surviving through all of them :)
Furiouso

Postby Pulire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Furiouso wrote:I usually don't have a problem with aggro with the standard Continuum + spelldamage enchant + Righteous shoulders. I start with AS, pop wings, go all out for as long as I can.

What I *hate* is people taunting off you when they have lesser gear. It's like they have something to prove they can't let a paladin tank. I usually check around to see if there's a tank with higher mitigation/stamina than I do, if so then I go healing or just wait for a WM to spawn in the middle.

What's fun is pulling three or so WMs at a time before Drek'thar, having someone yell "ZOMG BAD PULL!" and then holding aggro and surviving through all of them :)

BoP is beautiful for taunt spammers. Once there was another tankadin in AV with me and we were talking the whole battle, and we were on Drek with a taunt spammer when I was tanking.. DIing warriors is fun. :D
Pulire

Postby Valentear » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Pulire wrote:
Furiouso wrote:I usually don't have a problem with aggro with the standard Continuum + spelldamage enchant + Righteous shoulders. I start with AS, pop wings, go all out for as long as I can.

BoP is beautiful for taunt spammers. Once there was another tankadin in AV with me and we were talking the whole battle, and we were on Drek with a taunt spammer when I was tanking.. DIing warriors is fun. :D

ROFL I did that in Karazhan when this warrior who was supposed to OT kept spamming taunt.

Also fun for people who abandon fights to loot chests and such.
Valentear

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:26 am

Cimzar wrote:The alliance can kill Drek'thar on your server? Speaks ill of your horde population...

The fact that the alliance on your server can't kill Drek speak ill of them, not they other way around. ;-)

The only time I ever saw the Horde win was when either the Alliance were giving up or the Horde was bugging the Vand's pull.
Dragonzbane

Return to General Strats