Remove Advertisements

Heroic Magister's: Vexallus, 2nd boss

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Magister's: Vexallus, 2nd boss

Postby Raice » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:15 am

Gracerath wrote:Pro tip for the second boss on heroic: The sparks spawn at 15% intervals.

Slow and steady wins this race.

This is so true, I thought it deserved its own thread. I run this heroic with three of the highest DPS members of our 9/9BT guild, they pump out some seriously high numbers. Our first strategy was "Well, if he's spawning adds, let's destroy him before he gets the chance" and we wiped over, and over, and over, until i suggested that maybe our DPS was actually hurting us.

I mean we were serious about it. Avenging wrath, bloodlust, icy veins, combustion, adrenaline rush, blade flurry, rapid fire, beastial wrath, and damage trinkets in the first 5 seconds of the fight. I can't explain how fast this guy was dropping :shock:

Needless to say, we ended up spawning adds so fast that they literally insta-gibbed 2-3 people at a time when the boss was nearing 20%, every time.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BURN THIS BOSS IN 30 SECONDS!

We 1shotted it easily after we took it easy, noting that he spawns 2 sparks every 15% starting at 85% total HP. Please take your time with this guy, you'll save a ton of gold on repairs or arcane resist gear :D

.... to be fair, we did down him with that megaburn strategy one time, but our holy paladin was the only one left alive, bubbled with 120HP whacking away with SoR :roll:

DIOADIR --- Do it once and do it right!
Raice

Postby guillex » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:32 am

Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby NarfJones » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:53 am

I personally found it a lot easier to just focus fire the adds quickly. Treating it just like curator got us a clean kill.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Re: Heroic Magister's: Vexallus, 2nd boss

Postby Gimorth » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:54 am

Raice wrote:
Gracerath wrote:Pro tip for the second boss on heroic: The sparks spawn at 15% intervals.

Slow and steady wins this race.

This is so true, I thought it deserved its own thread. I run this heroic with three of the highest DPS members of our 9/9BT guild, they pump out some seriously high numbers. Our first strategy was "Well, if he's spawning adds, let's destroy him before he gets the chance" and we wiped over, and over, and over, until i suggested that maybe our DPS was actually hurting us.

I mean we were serious about it. Avenging wrath, bloodlust, icy veins, combustion, adrenaline rush, blade flurry, rapid fire, beastial wrath, and damage trinkets in the first 5 seconds of the fight. I can't explain how fast this guy was dropping :shock:

Needless to say, we ended up spawning adds so fast that they literally insta-gibbed 2-3 people at a time when the boss was nearing 20%, every time.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BURN THIS BOSS IN 30 SECONDS!

We 1shotted it easily after we took it easy, noting that he spawns 2 sparks every 15% starting at 85% total HP. Please take your time with this guy, you'll save a ton of gold on repairs or arcane resist gear :D

.... to be fair, we did down him with that megaburn strategy one time, but our holy paladin was the only one left alive, bubbled with 120HP whacking away with SoR :roll:

DIOADIR --- Do it once and do it right!

Good to know.

Sooo... the worm buff... is it a misdirection on Blizzard's part?
Gimorth

Re: Heroic Magister's: Vexallus, 2nd boss

Postby Stroja » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:05 am

Gimorth wrote:Sooo... the worm buff... is it a misdirection on Blizzard's part?

Nothing wrong with burning the boss fast as long as you kill adds too.
Stroja

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:07 am

Burning the boss while trying to ignore the adds is definitely a bad idea. However, I've also seen some people suggest letting the debuff drop off of you before spawning the next wave of adds. That seems to be a mistake to me, becuase the damage boost you get from those debuffs makes the final push a lot easier. I don't think there's any particular speed you need to go, aside from "a speed that lets you kill each set of adds before thge next set is up". For us, that's pretty much going full out with just a second or two of diversion to the adds when they spawn.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby luminum » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:33 am

did it jsut now, group was a unique:

myself tanking
dps warrior
rogue
resto shammy
holy priest

all we did was nuke the balls as they appeared. lost the dps warrior right at the end but he always dies. faily easy kill imo.

i am not however, looking forward to the preistess.
luminum

Postby inthedrops » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am

The key to the op's post is that he had a holy palaidn healing. Other healers could keep up with the amount of damage being out out on everyone easier, especially priests. I agree 100% with the op. If you have a lesser geared healer or any quality of holy paladin then do slow things down until 20%, then unload.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Korbah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 am

I wore AR gear and killed the adds myself, then bubbled after the stacks of the debuff became too high. It seemed to work well.
Korbah

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am

Everyone tries different things, but I think it's safe to assume the best procedure is to "Kill adds as they come, and use all your dps output when he overloads". Unless the healer is in pre-raid gear(which, frankly, doesn't happen much with the advent of whitemend and primal mooncloth and badge gear), the various tricks I've seen to clear the adds' debuff aren't really necessary.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Khayne » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Everyone tries different things, but I think it's safe to assume the best procedure is to "Kill adds as they come, and use all your dps output when he overloads". Unless the healer is in pre-raid gear(which, frankly, doesn't happen much with the advent of whitemend and primal mooncloth and badge gear), the various tricks I've seen to clear the adds' debuff aren't really necessary.

^-- True dat.

On a related topic, just came as athought a while ago that do we even need to tank him after 10? i mean ideally he´l die in next 5 secs but wouldn´t it be a nice thing to bubble up (healer too if paladin healer) to ignore damage for that much longer?

Just thinking if this would help it abit for those that really struggle on this guy as it´d free the healer to heal some dps instead as usually healers get a bit stuck on the "must keep tank up", while in that place we´re pretty much the weakest member of team in the 3rd boss and 4th boss after 50%.

could even warn the healer before hand to ignore healing you at overload.
Khayne

Postby Gracerath » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Its obvious that you *can* kill this boss doing it other ways. Shit, I didn't know he spawned stuff at each 15% mark until after we killed him twice and wiped god knows how many times before.

Its the same thing as parking out of range on Tidewalker with a warlock lifetapping to get aggro on the murlocs. Its the "Easy and almost 100% failsafe" way to handle the boss.

Use what works for you and your group :)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 pm

The only thing that should set the pace for the fight is the healer's ability to keep up with the damage. Go as fast or slow as the healer can manage, save for the final stretch
Zhalseran

Postby Noradin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:46 am

Doing this boss fast is a lot harder (this buff you get from the groups just in front of him is a very nice trap xD).
Also: Never use consecrate on this boss xD, but if you bring a ret have him use it.

Spamming this makro all the time might help your dds to kill the adds without even paying attention to them:

/cleartarget
/targetexact >add name<
/stopcasting [exists]
/cast [exists] >instant damage ability<
/targetlasttarget

(Please don't forget to replace >add name< with the name of the adds (don't know their name on the english client) and >instant damage ability< with the name of an actual ability you can use.)

This makro will have absolute no noticable effect what so ever except if there are targetable adds (>add name<) out. If there are, the actual cast will be interupted and the makro will try to kill the add using >instant damage ability< afterwards retargeting your last target.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Novara » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 am

We had some of our highest dps too.

I found that having me ( the tank ) kill the first 4 adds and then immediately bubbling the stacks off once I hit the fourth worked really well. I could then take the next two adds as well. That way the tank takes the first 6 adds and healing is alot easier. The remaining adds can then be taken care of by the dps and they can just burn him down without needed to wait for stacks to fall off.

Never use consecrate on this boss xD

I use it, the adds don't seem to die to any type of AoE.
Novara

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics